Size of Scope rings for a M82 and a M84 m1 Garand Sniper Scope

Thread: Size of Scope rings for a M82 and a M84 m1 Garand Sniper Scope

Default Size of Scope rings for a M82 and a M84 m1 Garand Sniper Scope

I am looking for a set of rings for the M82 and the M84 Telescope used on the M1 Garand M1C and M1D. I know 3/4 inch and 1 inch rings do not fit. The rings have to be a set of split Rings Horizontal. Any information is appreciated and if someone has some that is even better.
    Dwight Brown
    kaydee
    [email protected]

Hello Kaydee, M82 and M84 are both 7/8" Tubes. The Lyman off the shelf scopes were first used and they are 7/8". The M1D used a 7/8" D Mount, while the M1C used 7/8" rings that fit the Griffin & Howe Mount & Base. Not sure what your project is to be of further help.

The horizontal split rings were made for the M84 to mount on the 1903A4. If you are looking specifically to mount an M84 or M82 onto an M1 sniper....you need a different mount altogether. Griffin & Howe produced the mount and rings for the M1C. A variety of manufacturers made mounts for the M1D. Just need to know what your intentions are, and we can get you pointed in the right direction. There are original and reproduction mounts available for all set ups. Originals can be expensive and take a little patience to find. Reproduction parts are inexpensive and readily available.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I am looking to mount an M82 or a M84 Scope on a M3 Infrared night vision scope rail and need the scope rings that twist in the front and fitted in by the screws in the rear.
    Will the Vintage 7/8 inch Leupold Alaskan Rifle Scope Rings work with the M82 scope and M84 scope tubes and the M3 scope bar with barrel band?????
    Dwight Brown
    kaydee
    Last edited by kaydee; 06-16-2020 at 07:48 AM.

there are some for sale now on a sight if you look... no its not mine or anyone i know of... its just out there.. I am sure they will go high... most are in the 1500-2200 range. and if I recall, I might have a reproduction one sitting around somewhere... you can message me if you are interested.. or not. have not thought about it until now -andy

Alund,
    Sent a PM.
    kaydee

I, too, have a carbine with the scope mount. I used standard 7/8 in. vertically split Redfield type rings and it works just fine, To mount the Lyman scope, carefully remove the occular bell and slide the rings on from the "rear". Don't worry about losing inert gas from the scope as any that had been in it has dissipated with aging.

Jimmiez,
    This will not work for the Type 82 and the Type 84 WWII Garand M1C & M1D Telescopes. The front of the scope has the adjustment knobs and the rear has the mount for the rubber eye piece. I have to have a horizontal separation so that the top of the ring comes off to allow the cope to seat and then attach the top of the rings.
    Thanks for the thought.
    kaydee

Kaydee, Wait a minute !! First you are talking about an M82 or M84 "used on the M1 Garand M1C and M1D." Now you have introduced the M3 Rail for the M1 "Carbine" - not quite apples & Oranges but, close. The M3 Rail will absolutely work with any Redfield Rings, I have such a set up right now, a kick to shoot and draws a lot of attention at the range. And, Yes, the horizontal split rings are the way to go. Just check Ebay for rings, the real rail will be a little harder. But, I was not aware repros were out there, as it will be a make believe carbine anyway, won't make any difference if you use a repro.

sssniper,
    I cannot find the 3/4 inch rings that can be used with the scopes and the M3 Scope Mounting Bar, not on EBay. Any information as to who made them or where I can get them???
    Dwight Brown
    [email protected]
    352-205-8536

As I said in my previous comments on this issue - I use Lyman Alaskan scopes just because you can mount them with vertical split rings. I have both 3/4 in. and 7/8 in. vertically split rings in my parts box. They come up for sale quite often.

Kaydee, Is this what you are trying to do??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-001F.JPG  

MVC-002F.JPG  

MVC-003F.JPG  

Yes exactly. Do you have the rings. I see the vertical split rings will work if there are 4 screws and the rings come apart.
    Are these Redfield Rings???
    Dwight Brown
    352-205-8536

I only see three screws on the top of the rings. Which means the rings do not split. How did you get the tube on???
    Dwight

You unscrew the occular bell of the scope - the eyepiece. Then you have a straight tube that allows installation of the vertical split rings as in the photos. Then you reinstall the occular assembly and you're good to go.

Thanks I have never unscrewed the eye piece before. It is really on tight.
    kaydee

Kaydee, as I said you are making this harder than it needs to be. There are no less than 1/2 dozen Redfield 7/8" Vertical rings on Ebay right now (even a parkerized pair!). In fact there are even several pair of Redfield type Horizontal split 7/8" (albeit a bit pricy), but you won't have to take your scope apart.
    If you have the correct M3 bar, most any Redfield type turn ring will work, even the split rings (But won't look as good).

sssniper,
    I got the scope mounted. I wanted show you the M1 Carbine. Kaydee
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3591 2.JPG  

IMG_3595 s.JPG  

IMG_3594 s.JPG  

IMG_3593 s.JPG  

IMG_3592 s.JPG  

Very Nice !! Knew you could do it !! I am sure you will enjoy shooting it.

sssniper,
    I don't shoot anything in my collection. I call it preserving them.

kaydee
    Dwight Brown
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0744 s.JPG  

IMG_0887 s.JPG  

IMG_0888 s.JPG  

IMG_1690 s.JPG  

kaydee, Nice collection, and a lot of work on the display. Thanks for sharing.