Gunboards Forums banner

Persian Contract M73/77 Werndl Markings?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  toot 
#1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone knows whether the Persian Werndls were marked in anyway to differentiate them from standard models? We know by 1885 they had at least 18,000 and in 1907 at least 50,000. As far as I know they were mainly used by palace guard and against Kurdish rebels. Many of these were brought to the UK in the 70s by Major Noel Corry who was trying to buy up Persian contract Lugers but was obliged to buy up all sorts of old weapons.
If anyone has one or knows about the markings, inquiring minds would be pleased.

See less See more
#2 ·
First picture I have seen of a Persian Werndl. My understanding is that 23,000 m73/77s were exported to Persia in 1881 and 1890. I have seen some Werndl 67/77 Extra Korps Gewehrs in Oman but all were either ex-Austro-Hungarian military rifles or Belgian trade rifles. According to a report in 1887 some Werndls were being locally copied in Persia. Do you have a caption and date for your photograph?
Sarie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.