Gunboards Forums banner

Chip out at tang on G1911

865 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  BlackPowder 
#1 ·
Excited to finally get a Swiss straight pull to see what the fuss is about! This is a very well-made and machined rifle!

That said, I noticed a chip of wood missing at the tang. It doesn’t look severe, but before I shoot this I wanted to get the thoughts of more knowledgeable Swiss rifle guys as to what may have caused this, and if I need to have it repaired or perhaps the bedding is faulty and needs redoing, etc.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nothing to be concerned about. As long as the gap around the tang is even and the tang screw is secure nothing is out of order. A chip is not a crack. (Note that "P" has posted instructions for tuning the tang screw tension, but that only involves a slight backing off from fully snug. Don't shoot the rifle with any loose action screws.)

#4 ·
Thanks Leon. I ordered up some prvi and some 7.5 dies, excited to give the old gal some exercise.

TacFoley, here are a few more pics I snapped after I first received the rifle. May was an expensive month. G1911 is snown here with a Chilean Mauser and a Yugo K98k I picked up the same day. The 1911 came from Mach1 on Gunbroker. For some reason their starting price for this one was rather low and never really went high so I was able to scoop it up for what I felt was a fair going-rate price of around $425 all in. It’s all-matching and not too beaver-chewed on the butt. The bore had about a gallon of grease in it.

#5 ·
One thing you should check. The G1911 and K11 have an aluminum collar, or sleeve, around the barrel where it protrudes from the stock. Grasp the exposed barrel and see it if moves freely inside the aluminum sleeve. It should. The barrel is free floating and should be able to vibrate where it exits the stock. It is not unknown for a previous owner to stuff something inside the collar to jam the barrel into a tight fit.

I'm mentioning this because of experience.

#6 ·
I just wanted to update this thread: I took the G1911 out and shot it for the first time. With a 300 yard lowest sight setting my first couple of shots were a bit high but after I figured out my hold, I was able to shoot a pretty nice offhand group of about 2”, in the black, at 50 yards. I was pretty tickled considering it was my first magazine-ful ever through a Swiss straight pull rifle. I love the way the action cycles: I think this one’s a keeper!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.