PSL bolt staying open

Thread: PSL bolt staying open

Default PSL bolt staying open

Hello,
    I recently brought my PSL to the range for the first time and encountered what I think is a problem. I know the PSL I have was built with the "Bolt hold open" feature, but it was causing problems. When I finished shooting 10 rounds and the bolt would stay open, without knowing that I shot all the 10 rounds, whenever I would pull the trigger with the empty mag inserted while the bolt was open, my bolt would get completely stuck while being open, even without the magazine in the gun. To close the bolt, I would have to open up the receiver and fool around with the spring for the bolt to finally close. This problem only occurred when I would pull the trigger when I had a finished empty magazine in and a open bolt. I am not a PSL expert by any means and may there be a feature on the rifle that closes the bolt in this situation? Or is it a problem with my gun? I realize my gun has a open bolt feature but I find it highly unpractical especially for it being a military rifle, to have the bolt locked if you accidentally pull the trigger for the 11th time after shooting a 10 round magazine, than having the bolt locked open even with or without a magazine.
    Thanks,
    Patrick

That is definitely not normal... Your description is a little confusing but it sounds like the hammer is catching on the underside of the bolt carrier and preventing it from riding forward if you pull the trigger while the bolt carrier is locked to the rear? On normally configured military rifle with the third axis pin a disconnector and self-timer sear would prevent you from releasing the hammer unless the bolt was in battery but I am afraid I'm not familiar with the fire control groups on the commercial PSLs for sale in the USA that don't have these components. This is what comes of the idiot ATF making it illegal to import rifles that have the proper safety components in them because they can't distinguish something designed to prevent mechanical malfunction and out of battery detonation from something designed for automatic fire.

If I pull the trigger when the bolt is back with an empty mag, the bolt gets locked. The only way for me to push the bolt back forward to its normal position is for me to open up the gun and tap the bolt carrier down and the bolt will slide to its normal front position. Could the bolt hold open feature be the problem? And if yes, is there a way to take it out of my gun? Im only asking this because Ive seen many people add the bolt hold open in their PSL's that were built without one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

The bolt hold open is just a simple spring loaded pin that gets pushed up by the follower of the magazine when it is empty. The pin then contacts the front of the bolt/carrier assembly and holds it in place. When you pull the bolt carrier back the spring pushes the pin down and the bolt can ride forward.

Your issue sounds like a problem with the fire control group. The only thing that could possibly be wrong with the bolt hold open is if the spring on the bolt hold open is broken. Easy to check you can see it if you flip the rifle upside down with no mag in and and the bolt carrier removed and check with your finger if the bolt hold open freely moves up and down under spring tension. If not then the spring is broken and an easy fix. If the issue is the FCG i can’t help you since I’m only familiar with the military version of these rifles.

Edit: re-reading your post where you mention that you have to tap the bolt carrier down tells me the issue is definitely the fire control group not the bolt hold open. Sounds like the hammer releasing is contacting the bottom of the bolt carrier and pushing it up and partially off the rails while it is locked to the rear. For some reason the sear/disconnecter is still in contact with the trigger when the bolt locked to the rear, allowing you to pull the trigger and release
    the hammer when you shouldn’t be able to.
    Last edited by WolfmanReid; 06-19-2020 at 12:37 PM.

Wolfman, I appreciate the help, I had one of my friends who is more familiar with PSL's take a look at mine, and you were exactly right. The hammer has some wear and there is a minor gash on the top of it which might be causing the problem, so it seems I just need to replace the hammer. Thanks again for the help!