Vera Lynn, Britain's "The Forces' Sweetheart" Of WW2

Thread: Vera Lynn, Britain's "The Forces' Sweetheart" Of WW2

Default Vera Lynn, Britain's "The Forces' Sweetheart" Of WW2

Vera Lynn the voice of "home" for Tommies around the world has passed away at 103:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53091856

Dame Vera Lynn, the Forces' Sweetheart whose songs helped raise morale in World War Two, has died aged 103.

The singer was best known for performing hits such as We'll Meet Again to troops on the front line in countries including India and Egypt.

Her family said they were "deeply saddened to announce the passing of one of Britain's best-loved entertainers".

In a statement, they confirmed she died on Thursday morning surrounded by her close relatives.

Clyde is online now Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Beat me to it, Sergeant neutron. One more link gone.

Requiescat in pacem, Dame Vera.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

so sad .......she was a lovely lady

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Deeply saddened, yes, but she appears to have been happy and lucid very close to the end, which in itself gives hope to anyone growing old.

What always struck me about her songs was how little they had to do with the war, and yet how appropriate to it they were. There was no nationalism or anti-German. They would have been as well suited to any other kind of great trials.

With the greatest respect to "South Pacific", a dame is, of course, a lady knight. There is a passage in a Dennis Wheatley novel where one of the modern breed of political or business knight tells Wheatley's Duke de Richeleau, who wears the Habsburg order of the Golden Fleece which entitles him to call kings "cousin", that he ought to address him as "Sir".

The Duke replies that he might recomment to him a book by Sir Thomas Malory, entitled "Le Morte d'Arthur", in which he would find an ideal of knighthood contrasting most strikingly with his own. There is still some of it about.

Quote Originally Posted by Caledonian View Post

What always struck me about her songs was how little they had to do with the war, and yet how appropriate to it they were. There was no nationalism or anti-German. They would have been as well suited to any other kind of great trials.
    I would strongly disagree. Land of Hope and Glory by Benson is certainly a nationalistic song. The words “ Wider still and wider shall thy bounds be set“ is a reference to the expanding British Empire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9dzcw3Y7sE Land of Hope and Glory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-a8nr1xCCE There’ll Always be an England

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qttgR8puTuE Hang out the washing on the Siegfried Line

Rose of England thou shalt fade not here
    Proud and bright from growing year to year
    Red shall thy petals be as rich wine untold
    Shared by thy warriors who served thee of old
    Rose of England breathing England’s air
    Flower of chivalry beyond compare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1FIlCufPa8

She was loved precisely because she was a true British patriot and certainly a nationalist.

Rest In Peace Dame Vera, you were the epitome of the best of the Isles. Many of us in the US miss you.
    Last edited by Rooinek; 06-25-2020 at 08:20 PM.
    Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est

Was on you tube and watched a few videos of Dame Very Lynn. She did have a beautiful voice that captured your heart. We'll not see her like again. R.I.P
    Frank

Don't it always go that you don't know what you got til it's gone? I did not know she was still alive.

"They'll Be Bluebirds Over The White Cliffs Of Dover" never fails to choke me up, for her voice, the words and the times that produced it.

Thank you Vera, fare well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullscreen-capture-19062012-141535.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	3681807

She "contributed her bit" to her country in it's hour of need which in her case involved travelling to out of the way places to sing and bring a little bit of Blighty to where ever she went.

Go to youtube to hear the lady sing! Will