Ok to drill and tap an older marlin336SC?

Thread: Ok to drill and tap an older marlin336SC?

Default Ok to drill and tap an older marlin336SC?

Would it be a case of devaluing the gun or destroying collector value with a drill and tap? I'm not certain if Marlins are particularly collectible, so I ask.

I saw an online ad for one made in the early 1950s that I really like. Good condition and has the sort of finish wear that you'd expect on a well-used, but cared for deer rifle.

No don't do it. You just hate to see an early waffle top get drilled. Just pursue a deal on a far more common factory D&T model--as in all of them made after 1953 or so.

Myself, a big Marlin fan ('pre safety device' rifles). Believe a happier solution all round available... Likely your investment in that early "waffle top" Marlin 336SC ( SC = Sporting Carbine = half magazine style), plus the cost of gunsmith D&T; you could probably find a 1954 or later model, factory tapped for scope and receiver sight. The entire 336 model line, yet bit of sleepers compared to "Winchester" 94! You also don't mention the chambering. 30-30 most common, 35 Remington more $ desirable, the 32 Win Spl, lesser value and to avoid as shooter re ammo non-availability.
    Best &...
    Just my take
    John

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by iwanna View Post
    No don't do it. You just hate to see an early waffle top get drilled. Just pursue a deal on a far more common factory D&T model--as in all of them made after 1953 or so.
    ++2!

i have an old timer 336 rifle that is not a waffle-top, and is not d & t'd. so it's a mister in between. a previous owner installed a set of the tru-glo sites and my old peepers can see them good enuff to shoot accurately. putting a scope on one of those rifles just doesn't seem 'right'

Me too, what Frosty said. And yes, decent 336SC's and 336A" can bring a pretty price. Especially in 35 Remington and 32 Special. I have seen them sell for $750 to $950 with some regularity depending on model. Drill holes in them and the price drops quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    i have an old timer 336 rifle that is not a waffle-top, and is not d & t'd. so it's a mister in between. a previous owner installed a set of the tru-glo sites and my old peepers can see them good enuff to shoot accurately. putting a scope on one of those rifles just doesn't seem 'right'
    Plato:
    “Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and fool”

Do not do it!

Thank you for your responses. I originally posted then got into a situation that prevented me from getting back to this sooner.

I just sold a 336SC waffle top in .35 Rem and it had a Redfield Peep sight on it and guys love those and it brought good money. I love peep sights myself.