Soviet Sniper Pic...

Thread: Soviet Sniper Pic...

Default Soviet Sniper Pic...

I like this pic and can find two PE's with receiver mount among all of the PEM's and one SVT38...lots of sharp eyes here....anyone else find anything?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	726c4cea7b1cdf1e60f7fa8ebf8f0af3--soviet-army-soviet-union.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	3673771

Wonderful photo! Thanks for posting!
    Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

Great picture. I wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of those guys!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

The soldier in the foreground on the right most have been halfway decent at their trade, they have a Red Star award pinned to their chest if I’m not mistaken.

I've seen captions for this photo as a post award ceremony pic.... so you are right on that observation.

Fantastic photo. Wonder what the date is. Don't see any PU's.
    Plato:
    “Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and fool”

Reverse image search Digging on posts and stuff on the internet kept saying on the finnish front. Best detailed description I could find was:

"Snipers at the Karelian Front, August 1942 holding Mosin-Nagant M91/30 rifles with PEM scopes."

Seems the most logically sound to me, but take it for what it's worth.

Works for me. 1942, those would probably be the rifles at the front. PU's still getting geared up.

Quote Originally Posted by K Thorne View Post
    Reverse image search Digging on posts and stuff on the internet kept saying on the finnish front. Best detailed description I could find was:

"Snipers at the Karelian Front, August 1942 holding Mosin-Nagant M91/30 rifles with PEM scopes."

Seems the most logically sound to me, but take it for what it's worth.
    Plato:
    “Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and fool”

I didn't realize that Matt LeBlanc was that old.

The sniper center front (Matt LeBlanc lookalike?) has his leather lens caps tied off/secured just behind the adjuster knobs....I've seen this same technique in a picture in Pilyushin's book Red Sniper on the Eastern Front (Leningrad) but can't locate the pic so tried a photo...it would be damned easy to lose those while moving about.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0140.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	3675885

Matt LeBlanc also has a rope instead of a dog collar to secure his font sling.

Yes he does....a bit more flexible than the DC...but I suspect it is for a break away...if you have to have a sling, and the sniper is heavy if moving for awhile so slinging it is handy, it is smart to have a break away on the sling.....if moving under fire you don't want to get hung up..no one used a sling in RVN that I knew of....it could catch on anything and is so strong it would/could stop you in your tracks.....break away.

That guy has seen the elephant and knows how to survive.

Great catch.

Quote Originally Posted by reiver1 View Post
    The sniper center front (Matt LeBlanc lookalike?) has his leather lens caps tied off/secured just behind the adjuster knobs....I've seen this same technique in a picture in Pilyushin's book Red Sniper on the Eastern Front (Leningrad) but can't locate the pic so tried a photo...it would be damned easy to lose those while moving about.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0140.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	3675885
    reiver1:

The page pictured above appears in what book?

I’m sorry but I’m confused by your post. Thanks in advance for the information!
    Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

I looked online for that picture and could not find it.....so I took a photo of a photo...this is Pilyushin's book (author) and the title is above.....of all of the Red sniper books his is the most authentic imo... Pavlichenko is a total phony...Zaitsev has included much that was propaganda as he was a very good Communist (and excluded much like the 13,500 Russian soldiers executed by the NKVD in Stalingrad that he had to be aware of...of the 50,000 Russians in German uniform fighting at Stalingrad)...but some of his book is good when it comes to individual combat.
    I've read a few other but they too were Communists and writing in a time of serious censorship so separating the wheat from the chaff is hardly do able.

I have a question for you more knowledgeable folks. The man in the front right in the center with the red Star on his cap, his scope is offset and his bolt handle does not look like it has the same bend to it, as does the rifle of the man to his right (looking at the photo) or the man right behind the second man. Is this some different model of rifle/bolt, or is it he has just not completely closed his bolt? John

A few of them have their bolts slightly askew.....easy to do with that rifle due to the bolt design. The angle of the photo makes the scope look off center but it is not. Mostly PEM systems with a few PE's mounted differently. If you look closely you can see an adjusting ring on two scopes eyepieces...those are earlier PE's and receiver mounted like the rifle in my PE shooting thread.

I am pretty sure you are seeing side mount PEMs. The angle makes the bolt handles looks less bent and different but they are nearly surely PEM scopes with the PEM side mount, heck of a system.

I was posting at the same time as reiver apparently and I agree. A few top mount with PE scope can be spotted in the background.