28/76 clone/build...

Thread: 28/76 clone/build...

Hey everyone,

So I'm new to the Gunboards forum, glad to be here. I was referred here by a few friends as the place to go for my next project. This is a rifle that I've been wanting to build for over 2 decades. I wanted to build a slightly customized 28/76 with a more modern barrel. But I didn't want to do this on a complete 28/76 rifle.

So today I received my first piece of my next rifle. An original 28/76 stock complete with all hardware, sling swivel and what I believe to be an original Finnish leather sling. I'm not sure if it's correct for this rifle? But that's why I'm here, to research, ask questions and learn.

For now, my plan is to build off of a 1944 Sako M39 barreled action I picked up on Gunbroker. It doesn't have a bolt or anything else other than the action, barrel, rear sight base, front sight and a stripped down stock. I intend to try and refinish the original M39 stock back to a decent finish. Whoever sanded it wiped away a lot of the Sako cartouche but I'm hoping I can try to restore that along with the finish.

I would like to mount a repro PE scope and mount. I had originally planned to go with the side PE repro mount but I hate to cut into this 28/76 stock. Since the M39 donor action is incomplete, I don't feel so bad drilling and tapping it for the receiver PE mount. My hope is I can eventually find an original 28/76 barreled action. But that's probably going to be difficult. If I ever find one, I'll just put this M39 back in its original stock.

My endgame is to put a "modern" barrel on the finished rifle. I want the profile to be that of a M27/66. Which had no rear sight base and was a bit heavier than the M28/76. Turned from a Douglas, .308 dia bore, 1:11 twist, chrome moly blank. That way I can load .308cal bullets myself. I still have to figure out the reamer. I'm going to shoot the .311 M39 barrel first and see how it shoots. If it does well, I may look for another donor. So one rifle build will end up turning into several.

I'm building these rifles to shoot them. While they are collectable, the rifles I'm purchasing are better suited to being modified and shot vs. a matching original.

Anyways, sorry for all the rambling. I'm making this thread to document the build/s so if anyone else ever wants to do something similar. Hopefully as time goes on there will be some good info here on these rifles as well. I found an M39 trigger guard/magazine with the proper indention, it's on the way. Also found a Finnish extractor, the purple colored one made from harder steel. I picked up an M27 trigger also, since this rifle will eventually be similar to a M27/66, I thought the M27 trigger would be a good fit. Plus I understand that they were good triggers.

Any info, input, opinions, etc. are welcome. Thanks for reading my gigantic post...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200619_190711_HDR_1592610092473.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	552.2 KB 
ID:	3673897
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200619_190643_HDR_1592610162897.jpg  

For some reason it keeps loading the same pic in my first post... Here's the other side of the stock.

Name:	20200619_190643_HDR_1592610633705.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	649.8 KB 
ID:	3673903

i am jealous.
    i would look at a 1/10 vs an 11 or 12
    i would look at krieger brouton bartlien lija bbls much better than current douglas imho
    with modern powders the 7.62x54/53 r rocks

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Thanks rsmithsr, yes I have had great luck with both Bartlein and Krieger barrels, top notch no doubt. I recently purchased a .308cal blank from Douglas. I only live about 30min away from them so I am probably biased a little, lol. But I may end up using that blank on another rifle, haven't yet decided.

My M39 barreled receiver should be coming in soon. I'm looking forward to getting it in hand so I can assess the finish blemishes on it.

Still have to come up with a bolt. I'm not too concerned about the bolt body itself. I'll be making a bolt handle to match the original M28/76 profile and attach it in the same manner. I would really like to find an original bolt head. From my research they had more surface area in the bolt face and were notched out for the extractor and ejector. Also need to hunt down a 2 pin M27 sear. This stuff is pretty hard to find but I've had good luck with a little patience and diligence.

More to come as the parts keep coming in...

Got one of the triggers that I may use on this build today. I had called it an M27 trigger in an earlier post but it's actually an M28 trigger from what I can tell.

Name:	20200629_223307_HDR_1593484558862.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	3681121

Name:	20200629_223318_HDR_1593484616864.jpg 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	3681123

I'm thinking that this M28 trigger would be closer to original for the M28/76? I'm going to pick up an M27 trigger too on the off chance I run into a 2 pin M27 sear.

From my research, any Mosin sear should function with this M28 trigger I have? I'm keeping an eye out for an original Finnish sear. May be hard to tell the difference between a Finn or Russian? Still I'm holding out for one and an M27 sear.

Hopefully my barreled action will make it in around the 4th. I've got a Finn "indented" magazine/trigger guard on the way and a Finn extractor. Any info, leads or tips are welcome...

There was a member here by the name of MAKO who lives in Finland and at one time he was selling Finn M27 triggers and sears. In fact they were mailed from Finland and made it here in two weeks. I seem to remember that they were priced about 35 dollars a set. Long chance I know but crazier things have happened. Frank

Thanks for the lead Frank, I'll give it a shot. I've had good luck over the years finding stuff like this, though it sometimes takes years to get.

I would be thrilled to find someone in Finland with access to some of these harder to find small parts. I have a affection for these Finnish Mosins, always have. I admire the work and craftsmanship that they put into these rifles.

Along my journey to build this rifle I'm likely going to pick up an original M39 and hopefully an M28 or M27, if I can find them for a decent price. I found the M39 barreled action on Gunbroker that I'm planning to use for this project. I felt it a shame that it had been parted out and feel like it deserves better.

Depending on the condition of its bore, I may leave it as is. I will have to headspace and fire it too, see if it is better off being left alone with the original barrel installed. Since I now plan on adding other Finn MNs to the collection I am on the hunt for pretty much any Finn specific parts...

Trigger guard/magazine came in today...

Name:	20200702_192423_HDR_1593733854674.jpg 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	3682771

It has the correct "dimple" that these had from what I understand. I haven't cleaned it up yet but it appears to be in decent, original condition. Fully functional and that's what I'm after.

I found a couple bolt heads, not Finn manufacture but Sestroryesk bolt heads have the same style bolt face that the M28/76 had. Most likely there are other older made Mosin bolt heads with this feature. I grabbed a couple in hopes that I find one that headspaces properly to my M39 barreled action...

Still on the hunt for original Finn parts though. I really want to try out an M27 trigger but need to find an M27 sear.

28 sears are hard to find, I would go with the M39 trigger. Milstuff probably still has some.

27 sears,sorry

Thats a very neat looking interesting stock, I like it and would love to see what rifle goes in it.
    ‘Give’em hell, Pike’

Robertroadking, thanks for the lead. Yes they are hard to find. I've been searching for a little while and may have a lead on one.

Baltimoreed, thanks very much. I have to say it is a very comfortable stock for me. I've always wanted one and I'm finally getting around to building it. The stock is surprisingly light also. I suppose that age has lightened it up a bit. I have a little cleaning and finishing work to do to it. Mostly to try to protect it and keep it as intact as possible.

Here's a few shots from the seller of the M39 barreled action and an extra "project" M39 stock that someone had cut into for some reason I can not fathom... Possibly a Bubbas attempt at sporterizing an original M39 stock? Maybe it can be used as a repair host, I will have to get it in hand to determine that. The original matching stock isn't pictured but also comes with the action.

Name:	Screenshot_2020-07-11-00-41-38_1594442675641.png 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	3688617

Name:	Screenshot_2020-07-11-00-42-19_1594442709359.png 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	3688619

Name:	Screenshot_2020-07-11-00-43-08_1594442758787.png 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	3688621

Name:	Screenshot_2020-07-11-00-43-29_1594442787026.png 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	3688623
    The action has a little finish blemishes, but nothing too terrible I don't think. As long as I can find a way to preserve the steel and prevent further surface corrosion I would be happy with that.