Can't chamber a round.

Thread: Can't chamber a round.

Default Can't chamber a round.

I got a carcano dirt cheap as part of a deal for another rifle. Put it in a corner and forgot it. When I took it to the range to try it out I could not get a round to chamber[dirt cheap]! The bullet feeds until the case mouth hits the throat and it comes to stop. I took it home and fooled with it for a while and didn't find anything. Ive come to think that a case neck has broken off and is jammed into the chamber throat. Every thing stops about 1/4 in. short of seating.I'm looking for suggestions on how to clear it with out buying a pricey reamer. Approx. $150 new. Its a 7.35mm M38 rifle. All ideas and suggestions welcome .
    Thanks

Not sure with just the case neck being left behind but would a broken case extractor work? If not maybe plug the barrel and cerrosafe it then tap that out.

I don't think a case extractor will reach the throat. that is why I was looking at reamers.I found a rental place that lists a 7.35 carcano for $42 a week. That is $17 more than I paid for the rifle. I might try the cerrosafe. Thanks for the idea.
    Tim

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

One trick I have read about is finding a tap that will screw into the case that won't damage the chamber. Screw in the tap and from the muzzle hit it with a solid cleaning rod. In any event I would squirt some Kroil or penetrating oil into the muzzle and let sit for a day or so. then try the tap trick. Frank

i would block the bore off above the chamber obstruction the use cerrosafe to fill the chamber......once set knock out with cleaning rod from muzzle.
    i had same issue but i got mine out with an oversized bore brush............rod inserted through muzzle and screw brush on when rod comes out of chamber....then pull brush back into chamber and wiggle lol
    i was lucky mine came out but cerrosafe will definately get it out...
    good luck and keep us posted

Frank, it looks like a 8mm fine thread tap will fit and still leave .015/.020 clearance from the chamber wall.If it still wont move it will give the cerrosafe more to grab on to.
    will let you know how it goes
    Tim

Ok will be interested in how you make out. Frank

OK, very interested in how you make out. Frank

Try using a suitable sized bronze brush on a cleaning rod.

Pass the rod down from the muzzle, screw on a bronze brush and pull the brush into the chamber, then tap the rod out.

With any luck the piece of case will come out.

I have used this method many times to remove broken cases and it won't damage the chamber.

ukrifleman

Similar to the above,Ive found a very stiff steel bristle brush will generally remove parts of cases....with the proviso ,that someone hasnt already tried something and made the jam worse.

I would recommend REALLY LOOKING in there first to see what's going on for sure. Proper lighting and a proper magnifier of some sort. Another really good example of the absolute usefulness of a bore scope,something a good gun mechanic should have on hand.
    The above tips are all really good. If that whatever it is has been living in there awhile there may be some corrosion present and cerrosafe and oil/solvents are not friends.
    Diagnose the problem correctly first. One should never be surprised by quirks of fate if one can help it.

OK,1st attempt with the tap got a little bit of it out. It took a lot more force than I liked to use.Before you could not see any thing in the chamber and now there is a definite ring of material showing. My 8mm tap is a bottom tap so no taper or lead in.Highrider the rifle sat untouched in a corner for approx. 2 yrs that I have had it, no idea how long its been in there. I give all my new old guns a 24hr soak in kroil before the 1st cleaning. I an charging my camera batt to get some pictures before I go further.
    More Later
    Tim

Well I tried the tap about a dozen more times and each time I got a little more material out. Still not right. I then found an old reamer that had been ground to .325 dia. and I slowly worked to deepen the throat dia., after I went as deep as I felt it was safe to go I stopped and tried to chamber a empty case. Still really stiff but it went in. I then plugged the barrel and did a chamber casting. It took a 12 ton press to push out the plug. The casting looks good everything smooth and clean looking. A loaded round has a dia. of .324 and the casting had a dia. of .328, that seems a little tight but I will have to check the dwg. Well none of the numbers match what I have so I will look for a different dwg. and see what it says. Using the tap and reamer I was getting steel chips not brass. I wonder if someone tried steel cased 7.62 x51 nato instead of 7.35 Carcano.