SVT Tokarev Slings etc.

Thread: SVT Tokarev Slings etc.

Question SVT Tokarev Slings etc.

The following slings I'll show I purchased from well known sources as being SVT40 use or even SVT38 use slings? Reason being the different 33" length for rifle rather than the shorter PPsH/Carbine slings. Let's discuss...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Slings.jpg  

Last edited by Skratch; 06-24-2020 at 08:38 AM.

This has been discussed couple of times - https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...genuine-or-not
    The only known Soviet dedicated SVT-40 sling"pattern is depicted here in chapter "14. SVT-40 sling" https://www.m9130.info/svt-40

Nick is offline Super Moderator/Diamond Bullet member

From Chumak's book. There are many period photos that show the slings, although not very clear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SVT Sling C.jpg  

"It's impossible to grasp the boundless" - Kozma Prutkov

"Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

"A який чоловiк горилку не п'є - то вiн або хворий, або падлюка." - Невідомий українець

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

No doubt this D-ring type is an SVT40 sling from the documentation provided. Short lived production and quite rare I'm thinking. I'm trying to understand the 33" PPsH type sling which is longer than the standard sub gun sling? Could it be this was a second pattern used for SVT40 application? How about some pics of the "correct" SVT38 sling? Vic Thomas, if you're out there I'd sure like to hear your opinion.
    Last edited by Skratch; 06-22-2020 at 05:50 PM.

From my understanding, there was only the one SVT40 specific sling and during WWII many times just regular M91/30 type slings were used on the SVT40.

Quote Originally Posted by Skratch View Post
    I'm trying to understand the 33" PPsH type sling which is longer than the standard sub gun sling? Could it be this was a second pattern used for SVT40 application?
    Why is the question about second pattern? Do you have ANY evidence that points to the direction of "second pattern SVT sling"? Because I'm not aware about any single one.
    You gotta take into account such context as time and place. If you're looking for USSR "place" context - these are not a) SVT slings and b) not USSR made slings. If I were to try to identify them I would be looking into post-war Bulgaria and other Eastern Bloc countries and keeping in mind that longer slings were used for rifles and MGs.

Understood, maybe "second pattern" was not the right term and I never mentioned "USSR". That being said the question is other than the "correct USSR" manufactured d-ring sling which seems to be very rare what nonspecific slings other than 91/30 were employed on the SVT rifles regardless of country? What did the "correct USSR" SVT38 sling look like please?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20200622_145755.jpg  

You can find all kind of slings on period pictures of SVT-40 in WW2. Even leather imperial MN slings. Basically it's safe to say if sling was present in the Soviet army chances it was indeed used on SVT. Post war service in Eastern Bloc is not something I can not comment on, however we know at least Poland and Bulgaria had numbers of SVT so they definitely used slings, maybe even those leather slings from your original post.
    I don't have any information on SVT-38 slings yet.

Imperial M1911 sling for MN M91 rifle on SVT-40.

Last edited by Horilka; 06-22-2020 at 08:59 PM.

Understood, maybe "second pattern" was not the right term and I never mentioned "USSR". That being said the question is other than the "correct USSR" manufactured d-ring sling which seems to be very rare what nonspecific slings other than 91/30 were employed on the SVT rifles regardless of country? What did the "correct USSR" SVT38 sling look like please?
    I belive you know that all slings at the picture are recent fantasy pieces, made using original slings for other guns?

Quote Originally Posted by Ratnik View Post
    I belive you know that all slings at the picture are recent fantasy pieces, made using original slings for other guns?
    Thank You Ratnik. The slings are from distributor boxes from the 1990's so you're saying they made them? At the source of import or at the distributor? I realize everything is not WWII Russian manufacture and am not stating it is. But it exists in numbers. I also have short Mosin-Nagant carbine slings we've discussed. Here's another variation sling and accessories that came with the Russian capture K98K Mauser. It appears to be one like I have for the SVT slotted stock w/"dog collar" modified to accept the Mauser stock tab. I received several of them with RC K98K's along with the "thong" tie type. Who spent time creating all these fantasy pieces and when?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20200622_150338.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Horilka View Post
    You can find all kind of slings on period pictures of SVT-40 in WW2. Even leather imperial MN slings. Basically it's safe to say if sling was present in the Soviet army chances it was indeed used on SVT. Post war service in Eastern Bloc is not something I can not comment on, however we know at least Poland and Bulgaria had numbers of SVT so they definitely used slings, maybe even those leather slings from your original post.
    I don't have any information on SVT-38 slings yet.

Imperial M1911 sling for MN M91 rifle on SVT-40.

This is a great example Horilka of why I started the post. It's interesting to see what other nonspecific items were used to provide service. Best to not claim what country and correctness an item might be. "will fit SVT40" may be the way to phase it.

Thank You Ratnik. The slings are from distributor boxes from the 1990's so you're saying they made them? At the source of import or at the distributor? I realize everything is not WWII Russian manufacture and am not stating it is. But it exists in numbers. I also have short Mosin-Nagant carbine slings we've discussed. Here's another variation sling and accessories that came with the Russian capture K98K Mauser. It appears to be one like I have for the SVT slotted stock w/"dog collar" modified to accept the Mauser stock tab. I received several of them with RC K98K's along with the "thong" tie type. Who spent time creating all these fantasy pieces and when?
    I was talking about top sling and middle sling. Top one is an expedient wartime sling (universa), somebody added keeper and rear dog collar, which were was not supposedby the design.
    Middle one looks to be a recent Russian made fantasy piece, there were lot of them at Ebay and Russian websites. In any case, it was built using the postwar webbing sling.
    Bottom one is not a Soviet sling, same story with sling that has K98 stock attachment.
    And Soviets did not had any special slings for MN carbines, regular rifle slings were used. Shorter sings are not soviet.
    Talking about SVT-38 slings - SVT-38 from Spb Artillery museum with typical "SVT-40" sling. I believe one of the patterns, either D-shape, or rectangular is earlier one, and was used at SVT-38. But overall, sling was the same. However, this still require deeper research. But sure, the were no special sling for AVT stocks wth sling slots, or any other specail SVT-40 different from one showed in Chumak's book (Nick showed its pictures).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post-23908-1310046952.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	3676283

Thank You for more input. I began this this post to discuss and better understand sling variations that exist. I appreciate the expertise but it seems if it isn't on topic of correct Soviet WWII manufacture blueprints, in museums or in Chumak's book the conversation is off the table, summed up and ended. Surely there are other members who have run across these mongrel pieces? What I have shown came in distributor boxes with the firearms circa 1990's not recent E-bay so I still wonder where and when the improvisation took place? The subject would be mute but multiple examples of these interesting oddities have surfaced now. I will continue to show what has come across my counter over the years if for nothing else than to share with other collectors.