Would you be angry if you received this

Thread: Would you be angry if you received this

Default Would you be angry if you received this

I recently purchased an untouched last ditch series 34 type 99. It is a bolt mismatch and mum is ground, but the stock is 100% untouched and all screws are still staked. The seller didn’t know much about it, but had a good amount of pics. I got it for $250 shipped. Once I received it I noticed that the right bolt lug was ground down almost flush to the bolt body. Obviously this wasn’t evident from the pictures, and the auction had the usual disclaimer “Have this checked by a gunsmith prior to shooting”. My first instinct is to just let it go and not say anything, how would you guys have handled this? In almost 20 years of buying stuff online I’ve never seen this before, I’ve never thought to ask a seller if the bolt lugs were still intact.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D6D13905-2D3C-4909-B637-4D6C0EC9CA0A.jpeg  

7E1DCFEF-BD6A-4F45-A06D-F4C17FBE9AA9.jpeg  

3F698391-F7C5-47F9-A1BA-FAFB07C3239D.jpeg  

OIF Camp Syverson Balad, Iraq 05-06

I would try to get money off for a replacement bolt since it doesn't match, if the seller wants good feedback. You may have paid less if they had made that issue known, IDC what the disclaimer is

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Would seem to me to be a major defect that should have been disclosed.
    Unless you were buying it as a parts gun, I would be upset.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Wow!! I’m glad you caught it, that could have been a mess if fired.

I’d talk to the seller and see what they say.

I would NOT be happy

I’d be unhappy too.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried another bolt in this rifle? It’s possible someone without any firearm knowledge tried to get this bolt to “work” in this rifle?

That's a major issue that should've been disclosed. Have you checked the pin and safety? I hope the rest of the parts aren't buggered up. I'd give the chamber and lug recesses a good inspection. There may be a reason that the po had to grind the lug off to close the bolt, if that was the goal of the butchering.

If everything else checks out of, at least bolt bodies are cheap and plentiful. But I hate that for you.

The kicker is that I bought this for the Nagoya last ditch bolt, I had a Toyo bolt to put in its place. Then I would have two bolt mismatch rifles, but at least the bolts were correct (manufacturer only) to the rifles. Here is a link to the rifle:
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/869245347

For $250 move on.

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

Be sure there isn't anything ELSE wrong or missing from that rifle, like perhaps a big old hole drilled into the barrel from the underside of the receiver.

Personally, I would ship that puppy back, just on general principles.

Yes. I would be angry. Even a novice could see that.
    Preserving history. One rifle at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo6 View Post
    Be sure there isn't anything ELSE wrong or missing from that rifle, like perhaps a big old hole drilled into the barrel from the underside of the receiver.

Personally, I would ship that puppy back, just on general principles.

My thought exactly. If he (the seller) or whomever shaved down the locking lug felt the need to maybe there is something in the receiver they were trying to clearance around.

I have stories of the Japanese sabatoging rifles after the war ended as a way to give a little payback to the captors . Maybe this is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by htshot View Post
    I have stories of the Japanese sabatoging rifles after the war ended as a way to give a little payback to the captors . Maybe this is one of them.
    I looks much to fresh to be done by the IJA.
    Preserving history. One rifle at a time.

I would send it back or request a replacement bolt or enough money to buy one.
    John

Unfortunate. But, for $250 shipped, you have some extra money to play with. That said, the seller doesn't look like a newbie to me. He should have noticed this and mentioned it in the description IMHO. You have contacted the seller and asked for a refund or a further discount? Did I read that you had another Arisaka? Did you try that bolt? Like someone said, there could be a chamber issue. But, holy cow that would be some kind of issue if the lug had to be completely filed off...

There has been nothing else done to this rifle, just the ground bolt lug. I have a correct, but mismatched, Toyo bolt in its place already. The bolt in question is not modded in any other way. The safety and firing pin are fine and are already installed in another last ditch bolt body I had. I didn’t ask the seller for any partial refund, I figure for $250 shipped I did okay. I was just curious what others would have done. I plan on sending the seller an email just telling him of the issue so he can look things over better in the future.

Nothing lost in asking the seller to rectify the situation, or provide some kind of recompense. That is a major flaw that should have been noticed/disclosed.
    Always looking for interesting 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser cartridges!!!
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

To be honest, I would suspect something considering all the pictures on the auction show the bolt closed only. The seller must have known something was up. Most sellers will also have pictures of all markings, this auction had very few of actural markings.

Yes, I would be mighty miffed if this happened to me. The seller owes you an apology at least!

Quote Originally Posted by jonny c. View Post
    Nothing lost in asking the seller to rectify the situation, or provide some kind of recompense.
    ^^^^ This is the main point.

Yes you coulda known things,
    Yes they coulda known things,

Ain't no harm at this point.
    "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."
    - Jebediah Springfield

mpdphil, I had a similar situation not long ago with a purchase. It was a nice, clean Howa T99 that had nearly perfect wood and finish, but had a mm bolt. I ended up with it for a good price, but when I got it and checked it out, the safety wouldn't engage. I swapped bolts to take it shooting, and it was fine. The seller and I were talking about another rifle he had to sell, and when I mentioned the safety to him, he offered some cash back to make up for it. Wasn't much, but it was enough to buy another safety.

One time I got one that had a hole drilled in the bottom of the chamber and had been made into a lamp and did not know it till I took it apart.

If the Mum is ground, and the bolt is mis-matched, it hardly qualifies as "untouched".

Having said that, I would contact them immediately about the bolt, and at the very least request a refund for the amount of a new bolt.
    And be aware that a new bolt will likely not have proper headspace.
    If you plan on shooting it you are looking at $ to have it checked and adjusted, or, if you sell it in the future you must notify the buyer about the headspace issue.
    Badger Jack

One OLD Vets experience and opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Jack View Post
    If the Mum is ground, and the bolt is mis-matched, it hardly qualifies as "untouched".
    If you actually read my post accurately, you would have noticed that I mentioned that the stock itself is 100% untouched. There was no mum on the stock that was ground and a mismatched bolt locks into the receiver and not the stock itself.

With as many pics as were included, along with the description, the seller had to know what was being sold and chose not to disclose the ground off lug. I would call them on it and, at least, request a partial refund. Yes, you did well for $250, but the bolt was what you really wanted and you have every right to expect it to be as complete as the rest of the rifle. You won't get what you don't ask for.

My feedback would be based on the sellers response. If he offers to take it back, I would give him a B rating with a note that he is not a careful. If he did not agree to take it back, that would be a strong F. Either way, I would probably keep it and as someone else said, "move on". I mention the feedback because the system is GB seriously broke. The worse seller in world may have 100% positive. We, as buyers, need to be do better.

In this case, did you read his feedback?? There are a lot of other negatives that seem to be poor communication or miss-understanding between buyer
    and seller. Slow or delayed shipping for this and that. This is very unusual for GB. Most sellers do a lot better. The firing pin (F) looks like another example the guy is to busy to inspect the guns. I think, I changed my mind and would give this seller another F and forget about it. Life it too short. Seller needs to do better.

Listed as a "very nice rifle". Was very upset to learn the firing pin was broken. Seems like some important info that could have been put in the description.

Seller didn’t let me know that item had aftermarket parts by a different manufacture on it . That should have been put in description

Poor communication & slow shipping. Never again.

Thought I was paying for 2 gun Magazines but ended up it was for . Only reason I'm not giving a F is I should have asked before I bid.

That is "failure to disclose a material fact", and is, simply put: "fraud". But, as others have pointed out, at $250. it isn't worth spending much time on. The stock and parts are worth the money, so there you go. Having said all the above, I would hold his feet to the fire and see if he offers to cough up some of the money in compensation. If he doesn't, scorch him. And find another bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
    My feedback would be based on the sellers response. If he offers to take it back, I would give him a B rating with a note that he is not a careful. If he did not agree to take it back, that would be a strong F. Either way, I would probably keep it and as someone else said, "move on". I mention the feedback because the system is GB seriously broke. The worse seller in world may have 100% positive. We, as buyers, need to be do better.

In this case, did you read his feedback?? There are a lot of other negatives that seem to be poor communication or miss-understanding between buyer
    and seller. Slow or delayed shipping for this and that. This is very unusual for GB. Most sellers do a lot better. The firing pin (F) looks like another example the guy is to busy to inspect the guns. I think, I changed my mind and would give this seller another F and forget about it. Life it too short. Seller needs to do better.

Listed as a "very nice rifle". Was very upset to learn the firing pin was broken. Seems like some important info that could have been put in the description.

Seller didn’t let me know that item had aftermarket parts by a different manufacture on it . That should have been put in description

Poor communication & slow shipping. Never again.

Thought I was paying for 2 gun Magazines but ended up it was for . Only reason I'm not giving a F is I should have asked before I bid.
    as a seller on GB, Feedback goes both ways,

I've over looked stuff, and have made mistakes, but I stand by the 3 day rule,
    as in , don't like it, or don't want it, or don't feel it was represented the correct way, return it,

I don't believe in the $$ off etc, it is quite simple, send it back, full refund, of what you paid me,

I have bought a firearm that had a clipped firing pin, it was a browning hi power, and unless the owner shot it , or took it apart, one would not know,

that guy was great to deal with, I just ordered a new pin, sent him the receipt and he paid for it,

now before anyone has a cow, a simple firing pin is much different than other stuff, as far as replacement

I have a couple hundred listings on GB, and load 25-30 a week on a part time basis,

hard to touch every gun all over and go thru every gun over ever square millimeter, as in some stuff gets missed, that is why there is a 3day inspection

had one guy tell me he wanted to a shotgun I sold to make sure it worked,
    not the usual 3 day rule, but that was ok,

he called me 2 months later to say it broke,,

sorry, it's yours

feedback,,

got a negative, guy accused me of selling a used gun as new, cause he felt the barrel was dirty,
    he is a gunsmith, talked trash about the guns action, etc etc, and wanted a discount when the auction was over cause he is a dealer,

gave him the same offer, ship it back, but nope, he complained about long drive to the post office etc etc,

some folks cannot be made happy, and if they don't get their way, lash out,

and yes, GB is broken in a lot of other ways, message system is horrible, other issues with the sellers portal, that may or maynot ever get fixed
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

I agree about a seller taking it back if there is a problem and NOT dickering down the price. A 3 days is plenty. That price re-negotiation is a rat hole and to much potential abuse by buyers. I buy my family cars at auction and they set the same policy. You got 30 days and if it has an issue bring it back. There is no partial refund. Take it or return it.

Feedback does go both ways. BUT, I give a seller full payment up front. There are no sellers who trust me to pay after I get the gun, inspect it and decide to keep it. I would not be worried about getting retaliation feed. Although, ebay stopped all negative feedback for buyers. Put an end to that seller abuse.

I will say that I have been pleasantly surprised with Gun Broker. Not a prefect experience, but; I have got burned at gun shows and gun shops and really not lost anything on any Gun Broker deal. A couple bumps along the way but never got burned.