Gunshow private sales background checks - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 46 to 87 of 87

Thread: Gunshow private sales background checks

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Gray fog bound straights where cedars stand watching
    Posts
    5,935

    Default

    Yes there’s that ...
    I'm always looking for rare varieties of 9x18 ammunition.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    MId Atlantic reigon of continental USA
    Posts
    8,496

    Default

    Why limit it to gunshows?
    Make it universal.
    show your true colors.
    “Americans talk a lot about the value of freedom, but are actually afraid of anyone who truly exhibits it”.
    : Billy (The kid / Dennis Hopper).

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cpw View Post
    Being a generous grandfather, maybe you gave the firearms to your grandson before the law took effect.
    Thats a good idea. Maybe a dated and signed letter that's notarized would help in case the law changes.
    Don't Violate My Airspace

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    12,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lyman1903 View Post
    $2 fee for residents in VA, $5 for non residents, dealers that participate in the UBC program , the fee is set at $15, so that is $10 or $13 for your time and effort

    that is actually doable, if the VSP wanted to, you can now go to several VSP offices and do them voluntarily
    here, in Va, the VA form SP-65 is free, and delivered to you via USPS
    a simple bill of sale, and asking for something like a CCW should do that for you,,,,

    again, now they are available and voluntary in VA, soon to be mandatory, not sure if free from the VSP for individuals yet


    we have 7 days before the law is 'on' and limited communication on how to work it,
    Well at least in Alabama there is no fee to the state and yes C&R and CCW ( in fact Alabama had CCW's count as a NICS for a while, dealer still made you fill out a 4473 , but there was no phone call , filled the 4473 with your CCW number as the go ahead) , then some southern counties started issuing CCW without doing background checks and screw it up for everybody

    Not every state has an agency that background checks has to go thru Alabama doesn't so no state fees and some dealers have been charging up to $50 for the NICS if you drop ship a gun to them or use them for a transfer ( not required in AL., FtF's are private but some do that or sell on "commission", boy, talk about a racket)
    Three People to never believe

    A Religious Leader who tells you how to Vote

    A Politician who tells you how to Pray

    And

    A Draft Dodger who tells you how to be a Patriot

    And Smiling Bob

    Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason toward my country.”
    — PATRICK HENRY

    https://orders.stansberryresearch.co...T137955&page=1

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    So.Fla.
    Posts
    1,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmmoSgt View Post
    some dealers have been charging up to $50 for the NICS if you drop ship a gun to them or use them for a transfer
    I think all 01 FFLs charge some fee, after all they have to enter the shipped gun into their books, and then retain the 4473 when the guy or gal , picks up the gun. They can charge what they want so shop around . One FFL where I live, charges just $10 , but they're a pawn shop and want you to look around . The local gun shop charges $25 . I don't order guns, I just know from what they told me. I like to handle a gun, or anything for that matter, before I buy it. Too much fraud on the net .

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Speaking of Background Checks...

    I was quite surprised to find it is taking up to 6 hours for the NCIS to get back to local shop owners.

    pinkie says:

    The local gun shop charges $25 . I don't order guns, I just know from what they told me. I like to handle a gun, or anything for that matter, before I buy it. Too much fraud on the net .
    There is no substitute for a gun in the hand when you are buying.

  7. #52
    cpw's Avatar
    cpw is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    55,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davidsog View Post
    Speaking of Background Checks...

    I was quite surprised to find it is taking up to 6 hours for the NCIS to get back to local shop owners.

    Does that include checks run thru the Internet?
    Charlie
    II Thessalonians 3:10
    Romans 1:26-32
    I Corinthians 6:9

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cpw View Post
    Does that include checks run thru the Internet?
    I think that is over the phone at my LGS. I just purchased a rifle and the store told me to be prepared for up to a six hour wait for the NCIS check to come back.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    689

    Default

    pinkie says:

    I like to handle a gun, or anything for that matter, before I buy it. Too much fraud on the net .
    That be the truth. Seems like a big hassle as well.
    Don't Violate My Airspace

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Beach Va, not Va Beach
    Posts
    45,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmmoSgt View Post
    Well at least in Alabama there is no fee to the state and yes C&R and CCW ( in fact Alabama had CCW's count as a NICS for a while, dealer still made you fill out a 4473 , but there was no phone call , filled the 4473 with your CCW number as the go ahead) , then some southern counties started issuing CCW without doing background checks and screw it up for everybody

    Not every state has an agency that background checks has to go thru Alabama doesn't so no state fees and some dealers have been charging up to $50 for the NICS if you drop ship a gun to them or use them for a transfer ( not required in AL., FtF's are private but some do that or sell on "commission", boy, talk about a racket)
    Va is a POC (point of contact) , early on the NICS was not too reliable on mental heath issues and reporting so VA does the Fed database and checks mental health records as well, (due to a shooting at the pentagon)

    states that allow CCW owners to skip the NICS got permission to do so, and if the hoops are not jumped thru, then they loose that ability,
    the dealer just needs to fill out box 21 on the 4473, and off you go,


    as far as fees, it varies,

    some shops here are $50 and as high as $75

    other smaller shops are often $25 or cheaper,

    big shops would rather you buy from inventory or have them order and sell to you,

    rather than receive, do the paperwork, and then transfer it to you
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Just got back from picking up my new rifle. The NICS check came back immediately as soon as she hit the return button. The girl at the counter was surprised and pointed out a corner filled with gun purchases awaiting the results of their background checks.

  12. #57
    cpw's Avatar
    cpw is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    55,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davidsog View Post
    Just got back from picking up my new rifle. The NICS check came back immediately as soon as she hit the return button. The girl at the counter was surprised and pointed out a corner filled with gun purchases awaiting the results of their background checks.
    You were fortunate.
    Charlie
    II Thessalonians 3:10
    Romans 1:26-32
    I Corinthians 6:9

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    486

    Default

    https://www.bioedge.org/bioethics/us...american/12866

    1/1024 is apparently a lot of DNA.


  14. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    10,766

    Default

    LGS here says 4000+ backlog on NICS and ammo shelves are bare. No more backorders or even a waiting list for them anymore. Most all the hicap mags have disapeared and "want to buy signs" are seen on grocery store and PO notice boards. Bet Trading in parking lots street sales are. General disdain for laws in general isn't helping. Several laughed about need for ccws as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200624_123330.jpg  

    Last edited by vintovka; 06-26-2020 at 05:04 PM.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
    LGS here says 4000+ backlog on NICS and ammo shelves are bare. No more backorders or even a waiting list for them anymore. Most all the hicap mags have disapeared and "want to buy signs" are seen on grocery store and PO notice boards. Trading in parking lots and bet street sales seem brisk. General disdain for laws in general isn't helping. Several laughed about need for ccws as well.
    Where is here? Just curious.
    Purists of the world, unite!

    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

  16. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard in NY* View Post
    Where is here? Just curious.
    Good Question.

  17. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Ormond by the Sea, Fl
    Posts
    3,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigwagon View Post
    If the OP wants to run background checks on all his private party sales, there is nothing stopping him from doing it right now. But the moment he starts talking about mandating it for all, he becomes an enemy.
    You have to be a dealer to do background checks. There is something stopping him.
    Moved seaside full time now, life IS good !!!

  18. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Beach Va, not Va Beach
    Posts
    45,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick N. View Post
    You have to be a dealer to do background checks. There is something stopping him.
    not in every state,

    Va has had voluntary background checks for individual sales for a few years now,

    just contact the State Police and they will hook you up,
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

  19. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    10,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard in NY* View Post
    Where is here? Just curious.
    Eugene Oregon

  20. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    10,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lyman1903 View Post
    not in every state,

    Va has had voluntary background checks for individual sales for a few years now,

    just contact the State Police and they will hook you up,
    Like asking for trouble?

  21. #66
    cpw's Avatar
    cpw is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    55,342

    Default

    [QUOTE=vintovka;10346433]LGS here says 4000+ backlog on NICS and ammo shelves are bare. No more backorders or even a waiting list for them anymore. Most all the hicap mags have disapeared and "want to buy signs" are seen on grocery store and PO notice boards. Bet Trading in parking lots street sales are. General disdain for laws in general isn't helping. Several laughed about need for ccws as well.[/QUOTE]

    Around my country home, ccw permits are few & far between, but most people have one concealed on their person. But then it would be proper to say that the area of the state in which my country home is located is a different world.
    Charlie
    II Thessalonians 3:10
    Romans 1:26-32
    I Corinthians 6:9

  22. #67
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    10,766

    Default

    [QUOTE=cpw;10346593]
    Quote Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
    LGS here says 4000+ backlog on NICS and ammo shelves are bare. No more backorders or even a waiting list for them anymore. Most all the hicap mags have disapeared and "want to buy signs" are seen on grocery store and PO notice boards. Bet Trading in parking lots street sales are. General disdain for laws in general isn't helping. Several laughed about need for ccws as well.[/QUOTE]

    Around my country home, ccw permits are few & far between, but most people have one concealed on their person. But then it would be proper to say that the area of the state in which my country home is located is a different world.
    Getting to be norm. Many wonder why they even pay taxes.

  23. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lyman1903 View Post
    not in every state,

    Va has had voluntary background checks for individual sales for a few years now,

    just contact the State Police and they will hook you up,
    Yes, Va has been doing this for (4) years now, and apparently all those checks have been illegal. VCDL published an article yesterday revealing a series of emails between the governors office and the BATF. They got access to the emails through the FOIA. The ATF informed Va. that the NICS check by federal law was limited to FFls doing checks for their own books. The only exception was checks for a state permit system. The state then informed the Feds that they were implementing (in secret) a permit system for all gun purchases. The only problem is they never did.

    You can read the entire thing, including the actual emails on the VCDL website. Apparently our governor Blackface believes he is exempt for federal as well as state laws.

  24. #69
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Beach Va, not Va Beach
    Posts
    45,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by runner View Post
    Yes, Va has been doing this for (4) years now, and apparently all those checks have been illegal. VCDL published an article yesterday revealing a series of emails between the governors office and the BATF. They got access to the emails through the FOIA. The ATF informed Va. that the NICS check by federal law was limited to FFls doing checks for their own books. The only exception was checks for a state permit system. The state then informed the Feds that they were implementing (in secret) a permit system for all gun purchases. The only problem is they never did.

    You can read the entire thing, including the actual emails on the VCDL website. Apparently our governor Blackface believes he is exempt for federal as well as state laws.
    McAuliffe was in office when that was started,

    and the FBI was complacent in it as well,
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

  25. #70
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    new mexico
    Posts
    1,882

    Default

    Well they imposed background checks on all transfers here in New Mexico. And, there is some suggestion that a firearms owner will have toprove they passed a background check or the police could confiscate it. But, I have sold at a gun show, sent the buyer to an FFL and they passed and brought me back a sales slip saying the guys name and passed.... So No way to prove I as a seller or more relevant, as a purchaser, passed a background check to buy that particular gun.
    dumb fools pass these laws without any plan on how it will actually work. Not really to stop illegal sales; just to first hassle us and then......

  26. #71
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    10,766

    Default

    After watching where gun control has gone these last 5 decades it is my opinion they have had the opposite effect, Making things far worse than ever imagined. Whats worse is such heinous laws has resulted in a disdain for laws in general. Many actively break them for both profit and in an instinctual effort to fight back.

  27. #72
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    So.Fla.
    Posts
    1,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sksguide View Post
    Well they imposed background checks on all transfers here in New Mexico. And, there is some suggestion that a firearms owner will have toprove they passed a background check or the police could confiscate it. But, I have sold at a gun show, sent the buyer to an FFL and they passed and brought me back a sales slip saying the guys name and passed.... So No way to prove I as a seller or more relevant, as a purchaser, passed a background check to buy that particular gun.
    dumb fools pass these laws without any plan on how it will actually work. Not really to stop illegal sales; just to first hassle us and then......
    In Commiefornia , when I lived there, you took the gun to the dealer and he took possession of it and you and the buyer filled out a form . It was entered into the dealers books . Sounds like NM missed the boat if all someone has to do is pay for a background check. That means if you had a CCW in some states, you could buy from a private party , no FFL involved .

  28. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    So.Fla.
    Posts
    1,003

    Default

    Gone far enough. Back to the subject.
    Last edited by North Bender; 06-27-2020 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Removed Bs

  29. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my WVA free state mind!
    Posts
    46,024

    Default

    When they banned guns..that’s one thing..!
    ill have all I ever wanted..Now!
    you can not give in to private sales checks...hole in a earthen damn comes to mind.

    id go for them given us something for a change...like on line access, case closed,
    stolen guns serials, photos, state stolen, number to reach case officer....

    no to them being involved in my civil rights..personal property transfers..my business..
    they have there thumb in all my stuff bank to car to house to grave..from which I carry nothing too..
    guns sold for cash medical personal bills, care paid for.
    "Christ’s Grace + being constitutionally solvent !"

  30. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DK PHILLIPS View Post
    When they banned guns..that’s one thing..!
    ill have all I ever wanted..Now!
    you can not give in to private sales checks...hole in a earthen damn comes to mind.

    id go for them given us something for a change...like on line access, case closed,
    stolen guns serials, photos, state stolen, number to reach case officer....

    no to them being involved in my civil rights..personal property transfers..my business..
    they have there thumb in all my stuff bank to car to house to grave..from which I carry nothing too..
    guns sold for cash medical personal bills, care paid for.
    +1

    It really comes down to enforcing the plethora of gun laws already on the books not making up new ones that only effect law abiding citizens. The fact most states do not even enforce secondary gun laws on felony and multiple offender criminals speaks volumes about the motivation and underlying reasoning for increasing gun restrictions.

    It is not about crime statistics, it is about political control.

  31. #76
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Every Communist must grasp the truth; "Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun."
    "Problems of War and Strategy" (November 6, 1938), Selected Works, Vol. II, p. 224.
    Quotations from Mao Tse Tung
    https://www.marxists.org/reference/a...-book/ch05.htm

  32. #77
    cpw's Avatar
    cpw is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    55,342

    Default

    ^^^^^^^^
    So the original quote by Mao was in extra large Bold type & partially in Red bold type?
    Charlie
    II Thessalonians 3:10
    Romans 1:26-32
    I Corinthians 6:9

  33. #78
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    10,766

    Default

    Question begs. Gun laws are highly ineffective, unenforceable and actual promote crime why waste $ and effort into producing them much less obeying them?

  34. #79
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
    Question begs. Gun laws are highly ineffective, unenforceable and actual promote crime why waste $ and effort into producing them much less obeying them?
    It's not about crime control, it's about control. Would cities really return criminals to the streets to protect them from corona virus if they worried about crime? (And, no, they were not all "non-violent" offenders.) And would they vote to defund or further restrict their police forces?
    IF the most rabid of the anti-gunners get their wish, total bans (which is what they want) WILL probably assist in crime control once all guns are banned and largely eliminated (by the law abiding holders, of course). Ignore the black market issues which have proven unenforceable with drugs, and earlier with alcohol....., and the criminals conditioning additional crimes by carrying guns they're already precluded from having legally.
    Liberal types prefer controls on "things" and not "people" (at least some people) who may have been societal victims after all. Besides, things can't vote for them.

  35. #80

    Default

    What it boils down to, is that people are too willing to trade freedom for a false sense of security unfortunately....

  36. #81
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Masonhaggerty3 View Post
    What it boils down to, is that people are too willing to trade freedom for a false sense of security unfortunately....
    Well put, thank you

  37. #82
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    So.Fla.
    Posts
    1,003

    Default

    It was estimated that there were over 300 million guns in the US . Does anyone think they will all be turned in ?

  38. #83
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    10,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pinkie View Post
    It was estimated that there were over 300 million guns in the US . Does anyone think they will all be turned in ?
    Bet that number is much larger now and climbing thanks to gun laws, fear and the left.

  39. #84
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pinkie View Post
    It was estimated that there were over 300 million guns in the US . Does anyone think they will all be turned in ?
    Probably there are more than that since there's over 300 million Americans.
    Not sure anybody believes they'll all be turned in but the more controls, the more people WILL turn them in when ordered to, since most people are law abiding and/or are concerned about the consequences if caught with illicit weapons.
    Criminals are already criminals, don't particularly care about yet one more crime on their resume.
    What I don't think people who are used to guns and their use realize is that for many people who might have some interest in guns, but who don't have much opportunities to shoot or hunt, and most of their friends have no firearms experience tend to develop the attitude that guns may be of some interest but there of no real use so they aren't passionately devoted to them or the 2nd Ammendment. I put my father in that category although there are so many concealed carry people now that there may not be as many as there were when I was growing up in the 1960s to mid 70s. But....if there are moves to reduced concealed weapons, eliminate FFL dealers, etc. then I think more people will go back to that mindset.

  40. #85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hannibalbarca View Post
    It's not about crime control, it's about control. Would cities really return criminals to the streets to protect them from corona virus if they worried about crime? (And, no, they were not all "non-violent" offenders.) And would they vote to defund or further restrict their police forces?
    IF the most rabid of the anti-gunners get their wish, total bans (which is what they want) WILL probably assist in crime control once all guns are banned and largely eliminated (by the law abiding holders, of course). Ignore the black market issues which have proven unenforceable with drugs, and earlier with alcohol....., and the criminals conditioning additional crimes by carrying guns they're already precluded from having legally.
    Liberal types prefer controls on "things" and not "people" (at least some people) who may have been societal victims after all. Besides, things can't vote for them.

    A very good argument, very much “common sense,” but still not one I’ve thought about before.

    Every idealistic leftist college student who wants a total ban and confiscation on all firearms knows how ineffective such laws are when it comes to their favorite recreational Mary Jane. Considering how many billions of dollars have been spent on drug enforcement over the years, why do they think that it would be any different with guns?

    Of course, we all know it’s just an excuse to whip up the constituency into moral outrage for political gain. An “OFWG” gun owner with a nice collection is a lot less sympathetic in the leftist mind than some poor college kid arrested for weed, or the “honest non violent drug dealer just trying to make a buck.”

  41. #86
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    10,766

    Default

    Profit and human behavior will always defeat even the most stringent of laws. Prohibition comes to mind. Doesn't even have to be a law but just a shortage of anything. TP, meat, water or just about anything you try to restrict or even mention restriction triggers demand. With demand come profiteering. Bet more ammo is sold in states like CA than ever and tax free too. Swap meets, flea markets, garage sales and anywhere humans can exchange $ for goods may be doing well indeed. And then there's gangs and other forms of organized crime. Bet smarter ones have found an alternative to selling pot. Meanwhile even entire ammo shipments repeatedly disappear both after and possibly before they hit the shelves .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200624_123330.jpg  


  42. #87
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In my WVA free state mind!
    Posts
    46,024

    Default

    We have been preparing “warned since late 90’s”..
    . accumulate, ammo, build independence from retail daily needs..
    guns, ammo, Long Term storage of enjoyable food’s food, reinforced Home security shelters,
    look at my threat on hillbilly watering ...all stocked-up water 14 months worth, fuel, multiple heating sources, and fuel types....Vehicles in good repair..
    Allowed time to prepare has been give....now on the spin your last chances at highest price...
    "Christ’s Grace + being constitutionally solvent !"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •