Type 53 questions

Thread: Type 53 questions

Default Type 53 questions

Iíve been out of the game with work and kids and decided to clean out stuff I honestly forgot I had. What are type 53s going for these days? Still have the century tags on them from probably 10 years ago. Typical beat condition with bright bores. I also have a complete action minus bolt and magazine box. Iíve searched the net and forums and canít find a lot to base estimates or just really old posts. Any help would be appreciated...

Are they matching number rifles?

The action without bolt and magazine (assuming no stock either) is probably worth around $75, maybe more if the bayonet is still attached. Parts to rebuild it are surprisingly not cheap or easy to find. A complete rifle is probably worth in the range of $275 to $350 depending on condition, matching numbers, etc.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Oh it’s complete, stock, bayo, cleaning rod bands. I just stole the bolt and mag housing for an old Bannerman project I have tucked away. I doubt any matched numbers. Bolts are mismatch. I doubt I will ever do anything with them, so time to move along. Thanks for the information. I appreciate the information.

In my experience, matching bolts were extremely uncommon with those. I bought around 25 of them. I think that only one had a matching bolt. The rest of the parts matching was not too unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by big_johnson_92 View Post
    In my experience, matching bolts were extremely uncommon with those. I bought around 25 of them. I think that only one had a matching bolt. The rest of the parts matching was not too unusual.
    My experience, thankfully, has been quite different. I never tried to keep written records of what I encountered with C&R imports so I canít speak with complete certainty but I feel confident in stating that the majority of Type 53 Mosins that I personally examined had matching numbers. Bolts included. Probably six out of every ten examples.

I feel comfortable stating that at least half of the Type 53 Vietnam bringbacks I have examined had matching numbers.

The problem with any anecdotal reports, yours and mine included, is that they may not be statically accurate given the relatively small sample size examined. With that said I think your luck was especially bad and I doubt that mismatched T53 Mosins are anywhere near as prevalent as your experience would indicate.
    Purists of the world, unite!

ďIf ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.Ē
    Samuel Adams

I’ve owned 15 Type 53’s still have 2 none had matching bolts. I’ve looked at many more and only 1 had a matching bolt but unfortunately it’s floor plate and butt plate didn’t.
    Guns? Well, I guess I have a few.

You are correct, everything is anecdotal. I will note that mine were Century Gunsmith-Specials. That could obviously alter my sample. Fortunately, I actually made out really well with them. Many of them were if very good condition. I think I spent about $100 in spare parts to complete all 25 and they were only $60 each to start with.

I have had 4 t53. One was all matching except the magazine floorplate.

They're all Omega 35$ beaters. I bought one, then Don said if people bought 3 at a time he would include something special. That was a mostly matching one apparently.
    Wanted Polish 91/98/25 Upper Handguard.

I have a 1960 t53 that is all numbers matching and non import marked. I posted about it here several years ago and the general consensus was that it was a Vietnam bring back.

Quote Originally Posted by Inimicalone View Post
    I have a 1960 t53 that is all numbers matching and non import marked. I posted about it here several years ago and the general consensus was that it was a Vietnam bring back.
    I too have a beautiful Matching T53 and I can not recall the year but I have turned down $500 plus for it in the past. The take when I got the original one was Navy Arms made or assembled them when the first T53's came to this country. Val told me once this was not the case, that they came to them that way. I sold the original one I had many years ago but picked one up at auction maybe 5 years ago. It is beautiful and of course looks totally unfired. I doubt the Vietnam connection because of the condition and the plain and simple fact was things never left that country in this good a shape. Also both the first example I got many years ago and the current one I have contained quite a bit of storage grease like cosmoline or such. Even the very few cashe guns I saw has little or no grease on them. Bill
    zeebill live from the hills of West Virginia!

Mine is definitely not pristine and had the very dark wood associated with heavy use in tropical climates. It also has a few marks that could be construed as shrapnel damage. General consensus at the time was that the 1960 t53 carbine were produced specifically as aid to the Vietnamese.
    Inimicalone.

Quote Originally Posted by zeebill View Post
    I too have a beautiful Matching T53 and I can not recall the year but I have turned down $500 plus for it in the past. The take when I got the original one was Navy Arms made or assembled them when the first T53's came to this country. Val told me once this was not the case, that they came to them that way. I sold the original one I had many years ago but picked one up at auction maybe 5 years ago. It is beautiful and of course looks totally unfired. I doubt the Vietnam connection because of the condition and the plain and simple fact was things never left that country in this good a shape. Also both the first example I got many years ago and the current one I have contained quite a bit of storage grease like cosmoline or such. Even the very few cashe guns I saw has little or no grease on them. Bill
    Hey zeebill!

Nice post. Thanks for that thought. I too have one of these "nice" Navy Arms Type 53's from the 1990"s. I think it's a mismatch bolt but non the less a doll. I'll dig it out and post a pic. It came with accessories in the box too!