FR8 parkerizing issues

Thread: FR8 parkerizing issues

Default FR8 parkerizing issues

Recently picked-up a FR8 and indeed a hundred-year-old gun with a new barrel, slathered with thick black coating (Parkerizing?) inside and out.
    They sealed the chamber/bore, but it is in the magazine well and spring/follower. Bolt is fully covered and the rails/lips as well.
    Was not used much since the conversion, obviously, so the thick stuff really was causing feeding and action issues.
    I used a dremel with scotchbrite wheels inside the magwell, follower, rails, etc and have it feeding pretty good but it is difficult to work the bolt with the coating on coating deal. Oil does not do a thing for it.

I like the looks of the stuff, but think it a bad idea to use it on the action .
    Any ideas? Or will it eventually wear off?

Thanks!

Sounds terrible. Any pictures of what you're dealing with? Have you tried soaking the parts to remove the coating?

No before pics, but I just took the bolt out and dremeled on it with scotchbrite wheels a while. Thinned it out greatly and cleaned/oiled it.
    Lots better, so going the right direction, I suppose. I don't think soaking the bolt will get it off.
    Tough stuff!
    I suppose keeping this up will eventually get things smoothed out. I may never shoot it enough to wear it off!

Funny, I watched several youtubes of guys firing them and most struggled to close the bolt.
    Not your typical smooth Mauser action!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

slathered with thick black coating
    Sounds like old dried cosmoline.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/h...urplus-rifles/

Quote Originally Posted by davidsog View Post
    Sounds like old dried cosmoline.
    No...Just a thick coating on an old action.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fr8 003.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	3676777

Yep. I put a nickle in the magazine to allow the bolt to be worked. I then sat in front of the TV and worked the action for a while until it was smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by davidsog View Post
    Yep. I put a nickle in the magazine to allow the bolt to be worked. I then sat in front of the TV and worked the action for a while until it was smooth.
    Good to know. Thanks! TBH, I don't see any signs of this rifle being used since it's conversion. No wear or scratches on any of the new surfaces,
    No sign of a grenade being fired or a bayonet attached. Bore is pristine.
    It's getting better as I work it. The scotchbrite buffs seem to have accelerated things along.
    Strange little rifle!

Quote Originally Posted by sharptonn View Post
    Good to know. Thanks! TBH, I don't see any signs of this rifle being used since it's conversion. No wear or scratches on any of the new surfaces,
    No sign of a grenade being fired or a bayonet attached. Bore is pristine.
    It's getting better as I work it. The scotchbrite buffs seem to have accelerated things along.
    Strange little rifle!
    Yes they are different but neat little guns too. Getting it zero'd is PIA but mine seems to be holding it well and Minute of Badguy accurate. It is a handy rifle.