How to make a PPS 43 C run

Thread: How to make a PPS 43 C run

Default How to make a PPS 43 C run

I got my pioneer PPS 43 C (9mm) yesterday knowing they can be problematic...yes...she was.....double feeds/failure to eject/light strikes...all the bad juju you can imagine...would not run more than 2 rds before an issue.

The bad feeds were the curled lips of the 9mm modified magazine holding the round two low...too much resistance and on feed the bullet striking the lip before the ramp....just bend them out a bit. Then fed well.

I noticed this 'new' bolt to be much larger/longer than what I had seen and you can see the welds.... I know some were adding weight to make the short bolt cycle so maybe they have done the same with this extension.

Now she fed/ejected well but the bolt did not travel far enough rearward...too much bolt. So I conducted some surgery (knowing I was screwed if it didn't work) ... I cut one inch off the rear with a hacksaw, cleaned up the hammer channel (I suspected drag) and fired a few rounds....close but no cigar..cycling but not perfect....so I cut the dimples one at a time until she ran perfectly.....nice.
    You can see the original bolt....and my cuts/dimples....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0145.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	3677159Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0146.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	3677161
    Last edited by reiver1; 06-24-2020 at 06:31 PM.

I have 1 converted 9mm magazine and had 3 7.62x25 surplus mags...so decided to copy the 9mm and make them just right....I used an extruded plastic a bit less than 6 mm in thickness and a good match for the whatever in the sent to me mag in 9 mm. Cut to the proper length and width then heated with a heat gun to get the proper curve...you can barely see them on the mags but they do follow the curve.
    Cut down the followers...welded the front guide in place and blued everthing...also cut the notch in the mags at the top left...
    Before I epoxied the plastic in place I made sure the followers would drop easily bottom to top and back...they did. Not time effective but I enjoy this and the surplus mags are cheap in 7.62.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0147.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	149.2 KB 
ID:	3677971Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0148.JPG 
Size:	153.8 KB 
ID:	3677973Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0149.JPG 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	3677975Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0150.JPG 
Size:	253.1 KB 
ID:	3677977

Glitch....the springs from the surplus 7.62 mags are too wide lengthwise (long width) and bind....so am getting springs from the spring store....that will make this a little less than break even basically with purchasing 9mm ready mades unless you have a bunch of surplus...or you just like tinkering like I do.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I have a PPS 43 C pistol from Poland that shoots very well. It came with four 35 round mags. The only mal functions I get with it is when using some old Russian or Chezc (sp) ammo with hard primers that I'm sure is corrosive. Maybe one round in 20 won't go BANG when the trigger is pulled. When using good commercial ammo everything works fine and the pistol is quite accurate. I do like the pistol. It would be nice if I could extend the stock but not to the tune of $200 for the paper and stamp.

How long is the bolt....every model I've seen has a 7in stock sized bolt that's been converted...this one from Pioneer was, as shown, 9in in length.
    It works perfectly now that I've modified it...very sweet. I like it....but before the mods it was a dog.
    I think they reacted to everyone adding weight to the bolt (charging handle mostly) but they over did it....still....it gave me a lot to work with.
    I have yet to test the accuracy but will do that shortly.

I used a Remington 1100 trigger group,custom 16" barrel,and my own bolt work . it worked great from the get go ! plus I can use my folding stock !

I put a plastic spacer in my PPS43 drum feed tower for the 9mm round. I used a cutting board with a thickness of 8mm (5/16 in) so the rounds feeding up the feed tower don't go all cattywampus

Interesting stuff guys....that's what makes a hobby fun....

how are loading the rounds in the mags? one at a time I presume

me, about 6 years ago I modified the base of a Swedish K loader to go over the mag, cut the front guard off, and use the 36 round ganged stripper clip to make loading quick and easy.

Last edited by SfcRet; 06-28-2020 at 02:05 AM.

Man...that is sweet...I found the same set at RTG and just ordered it....thanks for the great tip.
    Last edited by reiver1; 06-28-2020 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reiver1 View Post
    Man...that is sweet...I found the same set at RTG and just ordered it....thanks for the great tip.
    you're welcome . finding the clips would be more challenging, back when I bought mine from GUNPARTs.COM they had tons of them and where selling them in bulks of 5, a couple of other places had them, LIBERTY TREE
    Last edited by SfcRet; 06-28-2020 at 11:18 PM.

I am looking but presently no luck.....when I get my one clip maybe I can make a few by tack welding some singles together...we'll see.

sounds like a plan

we live in a technology advance society, now I'm just "spit balling" here, but you could scan that clip then upload that into a 3-D metal printer you can makes dozens and dozens of them. it doesn't look like it's a complicated thing to scan and print, and there is no shortage of places that offer that service. depending on how much something like would be, that is another way to go. anyway just a thought

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...sclient=psy-ab
    Last edited by SfcRet; 06-29-2020 at 06:22 PM.

Good idea....that is a def possibility

Just thinking about the system and the one sided spring blow back and did this....after this little addition not a jam or misfire.....seemed to make sense.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0151.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	3681589 I just pulled a spring from my box 'on hand' and tried it out...works great so far....I plan on a few hundred rounds tomorrow so will report back.