R.E.L. CANADA TEL. STG. C NO. 32 MK. 3 COS2930A Sniper Scope & Mount

Thread: R.E.L. CANADA TEL. STG. C NO. 32 MK. 3 COS2930A Sniper Scope & Mount

Default R.E.L. CANADA TEL. STG. C NO. 32 MK. 3 COS2930A Sniper Scope & Mount

R.E.L. CANADA TEL. STG. C NO. 32 MK. 3 COS2930A Sniper Scope & Mount

This is the first of this maker I have owned. Is there anything unusual about this maker scope?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails British No. 4 Mk. I Sniper Rifle (45).jpg  

British No. 4 Mk. I Sniper Rifle (46).jpg  

British No. 4 Mk. I Sniper Rifle (47).jpg  

British No. 4 Mk. I Sniper Rifle (48).jpg  

British No. 4 Mk. I Sniper Rifle (50).jpg  

Ed Hicks (910) 425-7000

Your scope was made by Research Enterprises Limited (R.E.L.) in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and was mated at the factory to rifle No. 4 Mk. I* (T) serial number 90L8298, made by Small Arms Limited at Long Branch, just West of Toronto. Interestingly one of my No. 4 Mk. I* (T) is 90L8198. Mine is complete and all matching with the C No. 8 Mk. 2 scope case and the No. 15 Mk. I wooden chest.

Although there was a C No. 32 Mk. 4 model, soon renamed C No. 67 Mk. I, your scope is the final model in production at R.E.L. These C No. 32 Mk. 3 scopes were primarily fitted to No. 4 Mk. I*(T) rifles in the 90L8xxx serial number range.

There were two different R.E.L. No. 32 scopes numbered 211-C. The first was a C No. 32 Mk. I or C No. 32 Mk. IA. The second, yours, was a C No. 32 Mk. 3.

These No. 4 Mk. I* (T) rifles in the 90L8xxx range were made for the British Army and due to production difficulties with the scopes, were not assembled until 1946 as best we can tell. They were delivered and served with the British until finally retired in the early 1970s, though many were sold off surplus before then.

For the No. 4 (T) rifles, each scope was fitted to a particular rifle and the bore of the rifle and of the scope were collimated, i.e. aligned perfectly. Although your bracket will "attach" to any No. 4 (T) rifle, except those fitted with the Lyman Trade pattern scopes or the C No. 67 Mk. I scopes which had different mounts, it is not going to be properly lined up.

The good news is that the matching rifle for your scope is out there. 90L8298 is in my database and was sold by a fellow in Virginia in 2016. I ended up buying the Canadian No. 15 Mk. I chest that had been with the rifle, though due to rot the chest was only good for a few parts. The rifle however was covered in Cosmoline and was undamaged. I shall see about sending a private message with the information as it is well worth tracking down in an attempt to match the scope back with the rifle.

I maintain a research database on these No. 4 (T) rifles, scopes and other serial numbered components and presently I have over 2,000 recorded out of about 26,000 No. 4 (T) made. Part of the usefulness of the database is helping people to reunite serial numbered components. As we understand it, some of the big surplus dealers in North America sold their rifles with mismatched scopes. I have been able to reconnect about a dozen "pairs" of serial numbered components though the owners have not always been able to reach a mutually agreeable deal. For example I bought a rifle missing its scope, out of Pennsylvania, exported it to Canada, a friend in South Carolina found the matching scope set in Nebraska. I ended up selling the rifle to the chap in Nebraska. In another case I found the scope set for a rifle that is in a collection in Scotland. They too made a deal.

Wishing I was in Texas & still trying to get back there...

Great to from ya'll again Seaforth! Your efforts are a great help to everyone understanding the (T) models. Cuidich'n Righ!