Coming shortly

Thread: Coming shortly

Default Coming shortly

I've a incoming (hopefully here by the weekend!) transitional 98/05 bayonet (high ears and a flash guard) made by Stahlblume Schulte &Co Gevelsberg with a "Flying Angel" trade mark. Theres no date stamp or royal cypher on the spine of the blade...looking at the sellers images I couldn't see if marks had been buffed out or not...is there a chance these blades were made without those makings?...(Images will appear on here as soon as the bayonet is with me!)

Nice... that's an uncommon maker

Quick response - have a look here at some others by this maker https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/...omment-2305354

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Default coming soon ..its here

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trans1 (2).jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	3678835Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trans2 (2).jpg 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	3678837Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trans3 (2).jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	3678839Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trans4 (2).jpg 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	3678841Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trans5 (2).jpg 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	3678843

As "promised" heres my latest bayonet..a transitional 98/05.
    The blade some very small area's of light pitting and has been lightly sharpened
    I'm hoping the experts on here can help me with...The regimental markings,and the intials A.W....(Ive see Stahlblume Schulte & Co blades with R.K.)
    Theres so sign of a date stamp or royal cipher being polished or ground out,theres a No 4 stamped in the high ears muzzle ring.
    The mark on the scabbard chape is repeated on the pommel though less defined (and I never know if is show the markings the right way up!)
    Trajan.... many .thanks for that link....when I'm more settled this evening I'll have agood read through it!

Trajan.....get link to that info on Great War Forum.....learnt a lot there!
    FYI....I'm Driver Higgs on GWF!

Hoping those regimental markings on my blade can be sussed please!

Stand to be corrected, but 164th (4th Hanover) Infantry Regiment, raised on 24th March, 1813, then at Hamein, Holzminden, 9th Company, rifle 126.

Quote Originally Posted by staffy View Post
    Stand to be corrected, but 164th (4th Hanover) Infantry Regiment, raised on 24th March, 1813, then at Hamein, Holzminden, 9th Company, rifle 126.
    Hanover was 'owned' by the British king when they came over from Germany and married into the throne in the 18th Century. After he overran it Napoleon merged Hanover into a bunch of other German states to form the Kingdom of Westfalia which lasted until 1813. The British King took Hanover back after Westfalia was recaptured by the allies and reconstituted its army, thus the date your regiment was raised. Later it was merged into the German Empire.
    Turning relics into near-relics since 2005.

Staffy..David Murvihill
    Many thanks for all of that!....that's what I love about this part of Gunboards Forum.....I can learn so much from knowledgeable people about my hobby!!

Hanover, then ruled by King George V of Hanover, was on the losing side in the War of 1866 between the Kingdom of Prussia and Austrian Empire for the control of "Germany". Basically it was a north v south conflagration.
    Hanover was the first of the old German Confederation to fall to the Prussians. However, only 4 years later Prussia together with the German States went to war with France, which was defeated in 1871.
    Britain lost out on the accession of Queen Victoria as German Law did not recognise a female Monarch.
    Last edited by staffy; 07-01-2020 at 07:15 PM. Reason: correct date

I lived and worked in Hannover for a while, and there is a great monument there to commemorate the help of the Hannoverian general Blucher and his Hannover troops at the Battle of Waterloo. Another Hannoverian regiment helped capture / defend Gibraltar in the 18th century, which is why one German regiment in WW1 had a cuff-tag reading 'GIBRALTAR' - can't remember which one right now but somebody will.

Quote Originally Posted by trajan View Post
    I lived and worked in Hannover for a while, and there is a great monument there to commemorate the help of the Hannoverian general Blucher and his Hannover troops at the Battle of Waterloo. Another Hannoverian regiment helped capture / defend Gibraltar in the 18th century, which is why one German regiment in WW1 had a cuff-tag reading 'GIBRALTAR' - can't remember which one right now but somebody will.
    That would be Füsilier-Regiment Generalfeldmarshall Prinz Albrecht von Preußen (Hanoversches) Nr. 73.

Thanks TP!

IIRC both the German and British "Gibraltar" Rgts. faced off at some point in the Great War.

Their monument in the main square at Gibraltar is downward pointing gun, something like a 12 pounder, that was built by the Hannover regt. The international conflict that the American rebellion became would have been impossible to fight without German troops.