Type 99 Arisaka dents in stocks from surrender?

Thread: Type 99 Arisaka dents in stocks from surrender?

Default Type 99 Arisaka dents in stocks from surrender?

So it's common for wood stocks on milsurp rifles to have a lot of dings and dents, and 99% of the time it's impossible to say how they got there. In this particular instance though I think I can place how these dents got on my two unrelated type 99's. I've had a "last ditch" 25th series Kokura for a while now and I've always thought the squarish dents (circled in white) were very distinctive marks. I recently picked up a 5th series Nagoya from a board member and was intrigued to find it had almost identical dents. Both rifles have ground mums indicating that they were surrendered at the end of the war. After seeing the same dents on two separate rifles I had suspicion it may have been from the squarish fixed rear sight on the last ditch rifles. After a little playing around I found that the fixed sight on my 25th series matched the indentation on the 5th series perfectly with both muzzles pointing the same direction. Now since these were both most likely surrendered at the end of the war and we've all seen pictures of captured rifles being stacked like cord wood after surrender (I included a picture of this in the Pacific theater) my hypothesis is that these dents came from the rifles being thrown in piles after the Japanese surrender at the end of the war. I doubt they would have been treated so roughly before being surrendered and I can't think of any other way that such strange dents would be made on two unrelated rifles. I'm curious if anyone else has a type 99 with marks like these and would be happy to know what you think of my hypothesis. If true I think it is very interesting to be able to place a ding on a stock to an event like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5277.jpg  

IMG_5272.jpg  

IMG_5278.PNG  

IMG_5276.jpg  

IMG_5279.PNG  

You answered your own question. Stacking in piles made those marks. You can often "read" a stock and figure out how other were piled on top like you did. On occasion you will see a very distinct circle in a circle so to speak. This is a clear indication of the muzzle being banged into wood. The other is a shallow dent that an early style bolt handle fits perfectly in.
    Preserving history. One rifle at a time.

My favorite "surrender marks" are on a Series 27 TJK I have, on the wooden butt plate has a perfect circle from a Type 99 muzzle crown. I'll post a picture when I get a chance. Oh I just saw Ed just mentioned this!
    In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; it must be achieved.
    ~FDR (1936)

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

The 99 Long I had had a rounded dent that the bolt handle fit in perfectly.