The ignorance of people, they donít know how really accurate these are

Thread: The ignorance of people, they donít know how really accurate these are

Default The ignorance of people, they donít know how really accurate these are

I was posting on another gun/hunting forum about the accuracy of my 1907 swedish Mauser. I got so many nay sayers telling me I can’t shoot 1 1/2” groups at 100 yds using iron sights, (no scope). I did purchase the higher front sight and zero’d it in at 100yds while filing the taller front sight walking The poa to the x ring. I was using the Sellier and Bellot 131 gr sp ammo. I shoot big bore rifles most of the time so shooting and benchresting the Swede in 6,5 caliber was easy.

In the beginning when I first started shooting rifles I thought my eyes were bad from diabetes and all my hunting rifles needed scopes. It wasn’t until I got my first Swede Mauser I found out I’m shooting the wrong rifles for accuracy.

True story,
    I’m at the range for the second time after zeroing in my Swede Mauser. I’m benchresting it at 100 yds using s&b ammo. I’m shooting 1 1/2” groups constantly. I didn’t know there’s local SWAT guys shooting a few benches away, there shooting there bolt action scoped 308 rifles. They looked at my target and one came over to ask me what’s so accurate that I’m shooting with no scope? I told him a swedish 1907 Mauser. His jaw dropped. He told me they had a couple of scoped rifles that couldn’t shoot that accurate. Then he walked away.

I was a proud owner of a 100 year swedish Mauser that day, my point is people just don’t know how accurate these quality Swede Mausers are. Godbless bill
    Last edited by 1911crazy; 06-30-2020 at 06:29 PM.
    The aliens are here already are you going to save our planet?

Yep!

Yes indeed 1911!

A week or two ago mine outshot a couple of scoped rifles at both 100 and 200 yards off a rest.
    This weekend and prone, no support, I was shooting way low, though! No clue yet as to why.... Same handloads..

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

My 1942 Husqvarna M38 is my go-to bolt action for accuracy, I love that thing. Really hoping to do some deer hunting this year with it, although I probably wouldn't take it out in really bad weather.
    i like old military pugs and rifles.

I was at the .22 range at my club plinking away at the steel chickens and rams at various yards...easy peasy...guy next to me had a tricked out 10/22 with a scope and was having a heck of a time hitting anything past 50 yards. Once I started banging away at the 200yd gong, he packed up and left.
    I was using a Winchester Mod 69a with factory peeps.

Marksmanship is obsolete. Today's "urban commando" buys an AR and slaps a scope or red dot on it. Then he blazes away at a 25 to 50 yd target and thinks he is a real stud.

Little story: I have a CZ 452 .22 LR Trainer. It has very fine sights, with a windage adjustable rear tangent open sight and a zero-adjustable front sight blade. I shoot CCI Velocitor in it at 200 yards, with very nice grouping. I was on my club's 200 yd range one day along with an "urban commando" and his blinged up AR. We went down to paste the targets together; he took a look at mine and then came over to my firing point to examine my CZ 452. "Where's your scope?" asked he. When I explained that I was shooting over iron sights, he snorted, went to his position, packed up and left the range.

If you haven’t shot a Swede Mauser I say get one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post
    If you haven’t shot a Swede Mauser I say get one.
    Why stop there? It's the combination of a splendidly built rifle and the superb 6.5x55 round. I also shoot a CZ 550 6.5x55. I added a SAKO 85 to the 6.5x55 consumer group, but I have not gotten around to shooting it yet. Then there is my M1 Garand with the Criterion 6.5x55 barrel, about which I have posted elsewhere on this forum.

It's only since 6.5 Creedmoor caught on that recognition of what we already know about 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser has picked up. This is a fantastic cartridge and it is not at all fussy to reload.

If you havenít shot a Swede Mauser I say get one.
    No. Let them go. They are junk. Then when they won't sell then I can buy another one cheap. First one was thirty bucks and I still have it plus others.
    Plato:
    ďStrange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and foolĒ

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Why stop there? It's the combination of a splendidly built rifle and the superb 6.5x55 round. I also shoot a CZ 550 6.5x55. I added a SAKO 85 to the 6.5x55 consumer group, but I have not gotten around to shooting it yet. Then there is my M1 Garand with the Criterion 6.5x55 barrel, about which I have posted elsewhere on this forum.

It's only since 6.5 Creedmoor caught on that recognition of what we already know about 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser has picked up. This is a fantastic cartridge and it is not at all fussy to reload.

Shush...........don't talk about it. It don't say creedmore so it ain't no good.
    Plato:
    ďStrange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and foolĒ

Quote Originally Posted by Dallased View Post
    No. Let them go. They are junk. Then when they won't sell then I can buy another one cheap. First one was thirty bucks and I still have it plus others.
    I have a safe with Swede Mausers, I only shoot my 1907. Remember when they were $20 when we had no ammo?

I have a safe with Swede Mausers, I only shoot my 1907. Remember when they were $20 when we had no ammo?
    I remember when the $20 milsurps were still around. I used to browse the racks, and barrels (!) full of old rifles at Martin B Retting's store in Culver City, CA. This was in the late 60's. I also remember the unissued Dutch-contract Johnson semi-auto's, M1947 Madsen's, Swede M94's and other gems like the Lahti 20 mm anti-tank guns. But I was in college and working part time as a parking lot attendant. (Anybody remember the ancient custom of "working your way through college?")

Back then $20 was a week's grocery bill. I really had to scrimp and starve to raise the $65 Inland M1 carbine I bought; had to pay an extra $2 for the sling and oiler. I still have that M1 carbine.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    I remember when the $20 milsurps were still around. I used to browse the racks, and barrels (!) full of old rifles at Martin B Retting's store in Culver City, CA. This was in the late 60's. I also remember the unissued Dutch-contract Johnson semi-auto's, M1947 Madsen's, Swede M94's and other gems like the Lahti 20 mm anti-tank guns. But I was in college and working part time as a parking lot attendant. (Anybody remember the ancient custom of "working your way through college?")

Back then $20 was a week's grocery bill. I really had to scrimp and starve to raise the $65 Inland M1 carbine I bought; had to pay an extra $2 for the sling and oiler. I still have that M1 carbine.
    We had about 35 years ago a LGS that had wall to wall racks of every military gun you could think of. The new gun laws were passed and he closed up. The shop smelled of cosmoline. Every gun was wrapped in paper or soaked in cosmoline.

that's a VERY uncommon description! memories of a 'different world'. the people that took part in that time period were very fortunate.

I wasn't around for the super cheap prices, but I do remember lots of really nice surplus rifles of all types at S.I.R. and United Army Surplus Sales for very reasonable prices.

I took my old Sako L46 to 100m range other day and constantly hit 10x10cm plate with peep sights.
    Even plate that small felt too easy.

Yes, the Swede is an inherently accurate rifle. But some of you guys are probably good shots also. I tend to think if you started out shooting with some old milsurp and were able to figure out what it took to shoot it accurately and consistently, when you were able to get your hands on a rifle that you knew was accurate you could really make it perform. How many times have you heard " oh I can't shoot that old thing, it doesn't have a 2 oz. trigger or a 2000 dollar scope, it couldn't possibly be accurate..." The joy really is in getting small groups with a hundred year old piece. Jim

Show up with a scoped M96 sporter and prepare for some REALLY dirty looks....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140102_224412.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	3687225
    Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.

Nobody ever regrets buying a Swedish Mauser.

Or just a Soderin diopter and Elit front tunnel with post sitting on my 1908 FSR m/96. @100 yds.

Name:	1908 FSR best group ever.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	830.4 KB 
ID:	3687255
    Allt du egentligen behŲver i livet šr en bra kvinna, en trofast hund och en fin gammal Mauser.

Sheepdawg, are you crazy? You could cause a brain aneurysm showing off groups like that fired without a scope!
    Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.

Nobody ever regrets buying a Swedish Mauser.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdawg View Post
    Or just a Soderin diopter and Elit front tunnel with post sitting on my 1908 FSR m/96. @100 yds.

Name:	1908 FSR best group ever.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	830.4 KB 
ID:	3687255

That’s what I’m talking about. At 100 yds my 1907 Swede CG m96 will group like that benchrested with no scope.
    Just with irons.

I wonder what rifle would win in a accuracy shootout between a Swede Mauser, Swiss k31, Finnish m39 Mosin, a russian 91/30 Mosin and a British mk1 No4 enfield.?

We really do need to have an accuracy shootout for the milsurps.

Results here shot with my 1900 Oberndorf M 96.

3 shots off a light table rest at 100 yads, open sights and my 66 year old eyes. (no glasses)
    Bore is a '3' so like yours, Sheepdawg.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN2989.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by kddiep View Post
    We really do need to have an accuracy shootout for the milsurps.
    Yes... vintage sniper rifle match play.... handload projectile, perfect bore, itchy finger, caffeine buzz, gust of the wind, boom: bullseye.... do it again;... damn 9 ring.. Henry County Gun Club vintage sniper match, Puryear, Tennessee .... come on out and show your rifle and skills.

Thatís what Iím talking about. At 100 yds my 1907 Swede CG m96 will group like that benchrested with no scope.
    Just with irons.

I wonder what rifle would win in a accuracy shootout between a Swede Mauser, Swiss k31, Finnish m39 Mosin, a russian 91/30 Mosin and a British mk1 No4 enfield.?
    My friends and I have been accuracy-testing milsurps for years and have used all of these in local 50-round vintage bench matches. There are many variables and several styles of shooting to consider but assuming an equally skilled shooter with a "typical" example of each rifle with quality hand-loads on a bench rest at 100 yds and also assuming a significant course of fire (at least 30 shots so that *heat shift* becomes a huge factor) I would expect them to finish in this order if we are awarding the smallest group size:

1. Swede Mauser
    2. Swiss k31
    3. Finnish m39 Mosin
    4. Russian 91/30 Mosin
    5. British mk1 No4 enfield

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Some who never owned or shot a military surplus rifle are in for a rude awaking accuracy wise.

I do have an m/96 with a #3 bore that will shoot m.o.a. but it ain't that one. The bore in my 1908 shines like new money. It's the original barrel too. Some Swede treated it like his own child before I got my hands on it.

Name:	1908 FSR m96 wallpaper.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	344.3 KB 
ID:	3688555
    Allt du egentligen behŲver i livet šr en bra kvinna, en trofast hund och en fin gammal Mauser.

Quote Originally Posted by Gustro79 View Post
    ...I would expect them to finish in this order if we are awarding the smallest group size:

1. Swede Mauser
    2. Swiss k31
    3. Finnish m39 Mosin
    4. Russian 91/30 Mosin
    5. British mk1 No4 enfield

Hey, we need to put the 1903A3 and M1917 at 2.1 and 2.2 (especially in a match where the aperture site allows quicker target acquisition)

...and a M1909 Argy is stupid accurate also usually.

But yeah I love my Swedes when it comes to accuracy for sure!

Never shot that good of a group with my iron sighted Swede. I do have a 96/11 Swiss Schmidt Rubin that with iron sights that has done about 1 1/8 " 100 yard groups. That was about 5-6 years ago and my eyes have since deteriorated some so I doubt that I could repeat it. That day I was shooting with a friend who had a 300 Mag Weatherby Accumark with a big Ziess scope and really beat him. I was having a really good day and he was not.

Bullet shape that keeps on shaping the 6.5 destiny..in newer cals..that still can out do them.
    ďGrace+constitutional solvently strength, resistances to Chaos!Ē

Quote Originally Posted by Unka-Boo View Post
    I was at the .22 range at my club plinking away at the steel chickens and rams at various yards...easy peasy...guy next to me had a tricked out 10/22 with a scope and was having a heck of a time hitting anything past 50 yards. Once I started banging away at the 200yd gong, he packed up and left.
    I was using a Winchester Mod 69a with factory peeps.
    I did a similar thing about 15 years ago. I was shooting a Colt HBAR with the detachable carry handle, but using it with the iron sights. Next bench a guy was shooting a Browning bolt action with a scope and I was outshooting him badly. He said he had no idea an AR could be so accurate, mine was 100% stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewbaby View Post
    Hey, we need to put the 1903A3 and M1917 at 2.1 and 2.2 (especially in a match where the aperture site allows quicker target acquisition)

...and a M1909 Argy is stupid accurate also usually.

But yeah I love my Swedes when it comes to accuracy for sure!
    I agree, so if we are going there... 7mm Brazilian & Chilean contract Mausers and Persian Mausers would be in the running for that 2/3 spot also.