Berthier Carbine Wrist Marking

Thread: Berthier Carbine Wrist Marking

Default Berthier Carbine Wrist Marking

I picked up a nice looking model 1916 carbine today which other than being attractive has little going for it as far as collector interest. The numbers appear to be mismatched and the barrel has an import mark on it, but it does have an interesting mark on the wrist of the stock that I haven't seen before. Could anybody tell me what this marking could indicate? I'm assuming it's a manufacturer, but I really am not an expert when it comes to french firearms.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20200626_213301_1593225478723.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Pascucci91/41 View Post
    I picked up a nice looking model 1916 carbine today which other than being attractive has little going for it as far as collector interest. The numbers appear to be mismatched and the barrel has an import mark on it, but it does have an interesting mark on the wrist of the stock that I haven't seen before. Could anybody tell me what this marking could indicate? I'm assuming it's a manufacturer, but I really am not an expert when it comes to french firearms.
    I have a Gras Artillery carbine with a similar marking, same style "A. Salomon 1891". I was told, though I cannot remember if it was here or elsewhere, that such markings reflect a gift made of the rifle from government stores to a specific person, perhaps a veteran.