Gunboards Forums banner

New Maadi to me

4K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  DK PHILLIPS In Memoriam 
#1 ·
Picked up a Maadi MISR S/A, came with no mag and the correct pistol grip color. $700 bones. Got it delivered and home and the first thing I notice is that it was dirty, looks like it has been fired but just not really cleaned. I took the furniture off and set to work. It cleaned up beautifully. All numbers match and the only thing that is wrong is the spring in the butt for the cleaning kit wont set all the way down, but not a big deal. Runs fine and really don't get trigger slap with it.

#2 · (Edited)
I had one, sold it during the 2003 "panic buy" to a guy in ohio, for I believe 600 or 700 bucks. sent to a FFL in Milford, Ohio.

they aren't pretty, but they work. but you can make it pretty if so choice, if you want to spend more money in it.

be interest to see if that is the one I sold, SN CM18483

#9 ·
I have seen the following: :)

MISR S/A (AKM) at CM00177-CM04090
MISR S/A at CM047XX-CM06329
MISR-10 at CM06540-CM07670
MISR S/A at CM07915-CM21117

Earlier models had threaded barrels, with spot-welded barrel nuts, ground bayonet lugs and rods; later models had non-threaded barrels, ground bayonet lugs and rods. ;)

Tony

#8 ·
Mine. ordered from Century as I vaguely recall came with the muzzle threads mostly and poorly turned off (could still almost grab a muzzle brake), muzzle brake retainer pin either missing or jammed in the hole (don't remember), the bayonet lug ground off (pretty irritating...), a really crappy paint finish that I could scrape off with my fingernail in spots (!)and a slightly longer LOP non-military buttstock with no trap which appeared to be of original Egyptian manufacture. I don't recall anything much about the interior parts. I do recall that the rifles were cheap and a friend ordered a number of them to save for a rainy day.

#12 ·
I had one years and years ago, the RML with the longer barrel and thumbhole stock. Sold that to get funds for a 1903A3, two Russian SKS's and a TT-33 from a lot sale. This one just kinda came my way from a friend of a friend of a friend. I sent him the Money order and he sent it to my dealer, so I actually only paid $650.00 and the rest was I assume shipping and maybe a Arbys dinner. I am going to swap back to the other pistol grip sometime the red one looks weird on it fits the hand better but looks weird on it. I have the OG brown/greeninsh one that came on it but I didn't wanna ruin it as I hear that the Egyptian ones are kinda hard to come by??

#15 ·
I had one years and years ago, the RML with the longer barrel and thumbhole stock.

I have the RPM, with the folding bipod............…bipod is actually a RPD bipod the Egyptians cut down so it would fold up against the shorter barrel.

at the time there were no RPKs either parts kit or already built, except for Chinese NHM, those were expensive. rifle was something like 200 or so bucks, I decided this will be a close copy to a RPK. went and order a brand new in wrapper laminated Soviet RPK Soviet stock set and a E. German drum :)

had to do some hand fitting on the lower handguard so the lower handguard retainer would fit over.

after all is said and done...……………………………

#20 ·
I had new on stolen.two 75 rounds Chinese crumbs, 5# 30, 4# 20, two 5# round. (1,200 of the nasty Chinese in yellow boxes, black writing?) All in a fitted case.
.Serial numbers turned on police report,..it’s registered stolen.

#23 ·
Re: Maadi

Very nice, here's mine. It's a matching build with a Romanian barrel, the "battlefield wear" has been retained on all original components. All correct Egyptian accessories. It's my favorite AK to fire.

Firearm Gun Trigger Rifle Gun accessory

The receiver even has the correct Egyptian markings for the selector lever.

Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Air gun

#26 ·
My Maadi S/A is a solid rifle. I would put it up against any other AK. I have heard the 1990s imports do not have the same quality as the early Steyr imports...but I don’t mind...it looks nice and runs flawlessly. I wish it had the bayonet lug and threaded muzzle. I would like to see a 1980s Steyr in person so I can compare the two. The other bonus about your new Maadi is that it is the AK used in Red Dawn. Wolverines!!

#27 ·
I've seen three in total, one was a Semi auto that had Red dawn paperwork, the gent wanted $7500, that was at Knob creek back in 2008 I believe, it was beat up and definalty was riding the coat tails of being a movie gun. The other two I saw was a pair at a gun show and both was NOS stock back in 1995 at a gun show in Dayton. Same guy had a bunch of Poly-Tech and Yugo AK's that also was NOS. I really wish I had talked my grandfather to have spent the coin to have bought at least one of each cause he was selling them at fair prices even after the ban had already been in force for a year. Those things today would be a very good investment.

#29 ·
I had a Maddi for years. Replaced the buttstock with a NOS Egtptian butt and black pistol grip. Had threaded barrel with cap, that soon 'fell' off shortly after purchase. Replaced the innards with a Tapco G2 double hook aet to get rid of the horrible trigger slap.

I paid 300 years ago and just sold it for a grand.

Ive got an un netered Hungarian now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.