Re-thinking my Survival Rifle/Caliber - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Re-thinking my Survival Rifle/Caliber

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney Smith View Post
    If strictly talking about survival, I will pick my TPS arms M6. It's in .22 WMR(.22 mag), over .410. The .22 mag is a good little round. I wanted a round that has a little more energy at 100 yards than a .22LR. The .22 mag can take small game, and using a solid round can take deer at close range if a head shot is used. It can also be used for self defense.

The .410 barrel is useful for small game, whether on the ground or on the wing. Plus it too can be used to take deer sized game using buckshot or slugs. It can also be used for self defense.

I can pack a large amount of ammunition for this little gun, and it doesn't take up a ton of room. Plus the gun itself can be broken down and placed into a pack or bug out bag easily.

I just read on TPSs website recently, they now offer their M6 in .22LR, OR .22 mag over .410, 17 HMR over .410, .22 hornet over .410, .357 mag over .410, and .410 over .410. Many choices. If you've always wanted an M6 scout but don't want to pay. $700 plus for a used one, look into the TPS Arms M6. I got mine last year for $489.00 plus tax. These guns are brand new American made close copies of the original but have some improvements. These are very well made guns and not some POS copy.

And there it is, either the M6 or the Savage Model 34.

Sorry if I confused anyone when I mentioned bug out bag. Thats just where I keep it for a bug out but toss it in another pack when hiking. Me and the neighbors have the SHTF thing figured out pretty good.
    This was for strictly survival mode Like long trips back packing where one might get stuck due to storms or what have you.
    For what it's worth the Stevens Little Scout was one of the first break down rifles me thinks.
    Don't Violate My Airspace

Quote Originally Posted by plonker View Post
    Nomenclature is important with Lee-Enfields, not because its picayune, but because the Number ~mark ~ star system can be misunderstood resulting in problems.
    For example theres a No1 Mk3, but theres also a No3 Mk1, & parts aren't interchangeable.
    There's also a no 5 Mk1 & a No1 Mk5!

I know it sounds like nit picking, but only to the uninitiated.
    No1 MkIII:
    https://www.apexgunparts.com/rifles/...d-1-mkiii.html

No3 Mk1 (Pat 14):
    Its not even an Enfield action or barrel its a Mauser copy. No interchangeable parts not even magazines!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattern_1914_Enfield

Rifle No5 Mk1 ("Jungle Carbine")
    https://www.fieldandstream.com/lee-e...ungle-carbine/

Rifle, no1 mk5
    (A totally different kettle of fish, with a vastly different value!).
    https://www.legacy-collectibles.com/...no-1-mk-v.html
    yes Mother
    Three People to never believe

A Religious Leader who tells you how to Vote

A Politician who tells you how to Pray

And

A Draft Dodger who tells you how to be a Patriot

And Smiling Bob

Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason toward my country.”
    — PATRICK HENRY

https://orders.stansberryresearch.co...T137955&page=1

Quote Originally Posted by AmmoSgt View Post
    yes Mother
    funny,,

you mentioned to me in another post that Words Matter, yet now they apparently don't,,
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by davidsog View Post
    One of the best survival rifles I have encountered and used is the AR-7. It is compact, lightweight, reliable, and not very expensive. .22 will take game including birds and can be used for defense as well.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...hnryssrvvl2rif

They are getting hard to find but in looking around I was able to find some available with the price ranging from 229.00 to 300.00. Extra magazines are available as are high capacity magazines.

https://www.buymymags.com/charter-ar...15rd-magazine/
    I have the Henry version of the AR-7. With high velocity .22 LR, it's a very capable survival gun. But, even the Henry version that has a good reputation, can fail using cheap standard velocity ammo. That restricts the usefulness of this firearm if all you have is cheap ammo. It can still be fired as a single shot even with crappy ammunition, so it's not a total loss.

I used to think my AR -7 would be my go to survival weapon. That was until I bought my TPS M6 scout clone. It's much more robust and simply a more useful weapon IMO. It's only disadvantage is it's a single shot weapon. That's not a handicap if you make the first shot count.

Given the option, I'd pick the M6 over the AR-7, but I would not discount the AR-7 either. It's got its merits as well. You can't beat having fast follow up shot capability. In a scenario where game is shot, bad shot placement using the M6 can lead to that game escaping. With the AR-7 not so, you can send another round downrage in milliseconds. You could switch barrels on the M6 by pushing or pulling the plunger on the M6s hammer to switch to the other barrel but that is a much slower operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyman1903 View Post
    funny,,

you mentioned to me in another post that Words Matter, yet now they apparently don't,,
    they do, it's why I copped to it and owned it, even I occasionally have a brain fart, just proves I have a brain that can fart .. the mansplaining was the "yes Mother"

I could, and probably should, take it as a complement , as it doesn't happen all that often, and so is apparently worthy of a paragraph + post to comment on it

And

And Smiling Bob

Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason toward my country.”
    — PATRICK HENRY

I also have "The College of Close Covers Before Striking, Advanced Google Fu" Certification.
    That wasn't "Mansplaining".
    I can do it it in "Mansplaining" if thats what it takes, though.
    I've trained tribal Caribbean Islanders to perform complex mechanical & electronic functions so I seem to be pretty proficient at 'splaining to those who need assistance.

I'd think (back on topic) that a shotgun would be the most versatile simply because of the wide variety of projectiles available. I like the idea of the old Western 2 guns one ammo concept. But its still just one caliber, so which one do you pick?
    The .30 rifle with some kind of lower power round is attractive at first, but kind of impractical, either by sub caliber adapters or reduced power rounds. The sights simply won't point where the projectile is going. Sure you can come up with offsets after ballisticly fingerprinting the load but its clumsy, slow & not really accurate.
    My Rifle, No5 Mk1 sporter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5-round mag 3.JPG  

Last edited by plonker; 06-29-2020 at 05:13 PM.
    “Americans talk a lot about the value of freedom, but are actually afraid of anyone who truly exhibits it”.
    : Billy (The kid / Dennis Hopper).

A decent quality single barrel shotgun,would do quite nicely......especially in the smaller gauges.....

Made a brain fart, I said Savage 34 and I meant Savage 42. And after reviewing I decided I an't going there. Going with the TPS M6.
    Then I had to review ammo, definitely .410 and still on the fence between .22WMR and .17HMR, anything heavier seem like a no go and .17HMR is only like half the grains a .22WMR.

This english dude did a fun video, .22LR, .22WMR, .17HMR, .22 hornet comparison - BULLET RACES

; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j25Mknn_Uzg

FWIW you can fire a regular .22RF in a .22Mag chamber (once) its not a perfect fit. But it does add some versatility in an emergency. You can't do that with the .17.
    “Americans talk a lot about the value of freedom, but are actually afraid of anyone who truly exhibits it”.

Yeah, .22 mag seems a lot better since I had one in a ruger single six eons ago, ear cracking in that gun. I like the ammo storage in the stock on the M6 too.

Quote Originally Posted by caerlonie View Post
    A decent quality single barrel shotgun,would do quite nicely......especially in the smaller gauges.....
    Personally I like the shotgun for survival situation when I was younger me and my brother duck hunted a lot he had a mossburg pump and I had, and still do a H&R 12 gauge single shot he could get off three shots way faster than me(they had to be plugged to only hold three rounds) but I could get off four shots faster than him. It boils down to what you're comfortable with and well practiced with

I have the Henry version of the AR-7. With high velocity .22 LR, it's a very capable survival gun. But, even the Henry version that has a good reputation, can fail using cheap standard velocity ammo. That restricts the usefulness of this firearm if all you have is cheap ammo. It can still be fired as a single shot even with crappy ammunition, so it's not a total loss.

I used to think my AR -7 would be my go to survival weapon. That was until I bought my TPS M6 scout clone. It's much more robust and simply a more useful weapon IMO. It's only disadvantage is it's a single shot weapon. That's not a handicap if you make the first shot count.

Given the option, I'd pick the M6 over the AR-7, but I would not discount the AR-7 either. It's got its merits as well. You can't beat having fast follow up shot capability. In a scenario where game is shot, bad shot placement using the M6 can lead to that game escaping. With the AR-7 not so, you can send another round downrage in milliseconds. You could switch barrels on the M6 by pushing or pulling the plunger on the M6s hammer to switch to the other barrel but that is a much slower operation.
    They are both worthy survival rifles and you cover the topic well! I got to use both and preferred the AR-7 because of the fact, if it failed, it failed to the single shot default of the M6. The magazine fed shoulder fired semi-automatic holds a slight edge in the self defense category if one must use their survival rifle for that.

The M6 shotgun can be useful especially for birds on the wing but the ammunition is much heavier for the number of .22 rounds you can carry. A box of bird shot weighs ~2.4 lbs which is ~ 350 .22 caliber rounds. A .22 does well enough for shooting birds on the ground and if your good enough..on the wing.

I participated in several survival exercises in the Military were we where not allowed much more than a knife. I would have loved to have had either one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostinspace View Post
    Personally I like the shotgun for survival situation when I was younger me and my brother duck hunted a lot he had a mossburg pump and I had, and still do a H&R 12 gauge single shot he could get off three shots way faster than me(they had to be plugged to only hold three rounds) but I could get off four shots faster than him. It boils down to what you're comfortable with and well practiced with
    Yeah, had an Ithaca over under and it was annoying to say the least when everyone else could pop off three rounds real fast.

Only hunting shotgun I got now is my Marlin 12 Ga Goose gun and thats a bolt gun. Guess I could hunt with my 12 ga remington 870 express tactical but I would feel goofy.

Hahaha pretty sure I even dropped a thing of chapstick down it once

both religious and ethnic” groups...was my Subliminal point!
    "Christ’s Grace + being constitutionally solvent !"

All this discussion concerning small bore shotguns. I have nothing against shotguns mind you and have 4 or 5 of them myself ranging from .410 to 12 gauge. I still believe a .45 Colt case loaded with 7 1/2 shot with a fiber wad between the powder and shot and another wad over the shot then the case mouth crimped over the upper wad is capable of taking small game like rabbits, squirrel, a sitting duck or similar critters within a 5 yard range. I've done this with .22 LR shot ammo and I don't see any reason it wouldn't work using a lot more shot and a heavy powder charge in a .45 Colt carbine or revolver. I could still use the same carbine and revolver for much bigger game like whitetail deer or even an elk at close range from concealment and a well placed shot using the right bullet and warm powder charge.

Quote Originally Posted by davidsog View Post

They are both worthy survival rifles and you cover the topic well! I got to use both and preferred the AR-7 because of the fact, if it failed, it failed to the single shot default of the M6. The magazine fed shoulder fired semi-automatic holds a slight edge in the self defense category if one must use their survival rifle for that.

The M6 shotgun can be useful especially for birds on the wing but the ammunition is much heavier for the number of .22 rounds you can carry. A box of bird shot weighs ~2.4 lbs which is ~ 350 .22 caliber rounds. A .22 does well enough for shooting birds on the ground and if your good enough..on the wing.

I participated in several survival exercises in the Military were we where not allowed much more than a knife. I would have loved to have had either one.
    Agree on all counts, however one advantage the M6 has over the AR-7 is in robustness. You drop that AR-7 on a hard surface such as a large rock or even cement, and that gun us going to break somewhere. Probably to the point of rendering it inoperative. The M6 is all metal even the new ones, save for the magazine well under the stock cover. It would probably survive a fall that would take out the AR-7.

Again though, Id be glad to have either one should I be thrust into a survival scenario. I'd just be more mindful to care for the AR-7 should I be given that gun to use.

they do, it's why I copped to it and owned it, even I occasionally have a brain fart, just proves I have a brain that can fart .. the mansplaining was the "yes Mother"

I could, and probably should, take it as a complement , as it doesn't happen all that often, and so is apparently worthy of a paragraph + post to comment on it
    just proves you just may be human,,

Quote Originally Posted by Estaban View Post
    Made a brain fart, I said Savage 34 and I meant Savage 42. And after reviewing I decided I an't going there. Going with the TPS M6.
    Then I had to review ammo, definitely .410 and still on the fence between .22WMR and .17HMR, anything heavier seem like a no go and .17HMR is only like half the grains a .22WMR.

This english dude did a fun video, .22LR, .22WMR, .17HMR, .22 hornet comparison - BULLET RACES

; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j25Mknn_Uzg
    I say go for the .22 mag. .17 HMR is a nice little cartridge. My son has a Savage bolt action chambered for it.

The problems with the .17 though are due to its light bullet, it's very susceptible to wind drift. A gnat fart will send it off course. It's a 100 yard cartridge IMO and not much more. The .17 is a PIA TO clean due to its small bore.

The biggest reason I did not go with the .17 is I believe, and I may be wrong. But I believe in 10 to 20 years the .17 HMR will not be around. I've read several articles suggesting the .17 is already being supplanted by a similar round. I think it's called the .17 super mag. Not sure if the two are interchangeable or not.

I like .22mag for the simple reason its been around for like 60 years, and it's still popular.

I may buy another TPS M6. Been considering either the .357 /.410, or the .410/.410.

If you go for cals. That are not commonly found?
    Battle field picking up of restocking ammunition as military Easy..
    obtaining in a stressful time period ..Going to stores out of the formula..!
    you better have lots of ammo..
    "Christ’s Grace + being constitutionally solvent !"

Quote Originally Posted by staffy View Post
    Estaban - BC is not the only one to liken your country to his birth place - it also resembles a fair swag of the semi-arid parts in Australia.
    Estaban --- The photo you provided showing a fairly wide open space that included the left side of your car looks much like the country in eastern Montana where I grew up on a wheat farm 26 miles from the nearest town. Where was your photo taken ?
    The range pic was taken down near Ft. Huachuca AZ. The terrain is like this all along the AZ Mexico border, valleys and mountains, valleys and mountains.

hope you have a stamp for that snake charmer
    It was rifled out. Don't have it anymore. Thing was like a cannon!

I say go for the .22 mag. .17 HMR is a nice little cartridge. My son has a Savage bolt action chambered for it.

The problems with the .17 though are due to its light bullet, it's very susceptible to wind drift. A gnat fart will send it off course. It's a 100 yard cartridge IMO and not much more. The .17 is a PIA TO clean due to its small bore.

The biggest reason I did not go with the .17 is I believe, and I may be wrong. But I believe in 10 to 20 years the .17 HMR will not be around. I've read several articles suggesting the .17 is already being supplanted by a similar round. I think it's called the .17 super mag. Not sure if the two are interchangeable or not.

I like .22mag for the simple reason its been around for like 60 years, and it's still popular.
    I may buy another TPS M6. Been considering either the .357 /.410, or the .410/.410.
    Thanks, great advice. I am going with .22 mag. I saw a pic yesterday in an article where a .17 went through some thinner steel plate and the .22 mag stuck itself to it. I think at 50 yds. The .17 does seem to have that kinetic energy but I think I'd rather has some expansion than through and through. Plus less drift like you say.
    Now I just gotta find one and get my paws on it. I don't buy nothing online.
    Last edited by Estaban; 06-30-2020 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by plonker View Post
    I also have "The College of Close Covers Before Striking, Advanced Google Fu" Certification.
    That wasn't "Mansplaining".
    I can do it it in "Mansplaining" if thats what it takes, though.
    I've trained tribal Caribbean Islanders to perform complex mechanical & electronic functions so I seem to be pretty proficient at 'splaining to those who need assistance.

I'd think (back on topic) that a shotgun would be the most versatile simply because of the wide variety of projectiles available. I like the idea of the old Western 2 guns one ammo concept. But its still just one caliber, so which one do you pick?
    The .30 rifle with some kind of lower power round is attractive at first, but kind of impractical, either by sub caliber adapters or reduced power rounds. The sights simply won't point where the projectile is going. Sure you can come up with offsets after ballisticly fingerprinting the load but its clumsy, slow & not really accurate.
    My Rifle, No5 Mk1 sporter.
    That's exactly how you know when it is mansplaining , when the man explains it ISN"T mansplaining.

And

And Smiling Bob

— PATRICK HENRY

.22 lr, 9x19-mm, 12-gauge.
    Alle Kunst ist umsonst, Wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.

I'd just be more mindful to care for the AR-7 should I be given that gun to use.
    I would agree with that. It is more complicated piece of equipment by its nature, requires more care, and has more failure points.

That's exactly how you know when it is mansplaining , when the man explains it ISN"T mansplaining.
    Ignoring the two most obvious blunders in such a short post.
    If it takes bite sized pieces then thats what I deliver.
    & you still haven't gotten it.
    You still haven't "owned" anything.

Maybe baby nibble sized bites will "take"?
    If you take a Mk5 part it wont fit in a No5.
    If you take a No5 part it wont fit in a Mk5.
    D'uhh!
    N'errr!
    So it does matter.

Poem by Henry Reed
    Today we have naming of parts. Yesterday,
    We had daily cleaning. And tomorrow morning,
    We shall have what to do after firing. But today,
    Today we have naming of parts. Japonica
    Glistens likecoral in all the neighboring gardens,
    And today we have naming of parts.

This is the lower sling swivel. And this
    Is the upper sling swivel, whose use you will see,
    When you are given your slings. And this is the piling swivel,
    Which in your case you have not got. The branches
    Hold in the gardens their silent, eloquent gestures,
    Which in our case we have not got.

This is the safety-catch, which is always released
    With an easy flick of the thumb. And please do not let me
    See anyone using his finger. You can do it quite easy
    If you have any strength in your thumb. The blossoms
    Are fragile and motionless, never letting anyone see
    Any of them using their finger.

And this you can see is the bolt. The purpose of this
    Is to open the breech, as you see. We can slide it
    Rapidly backwards and forwards: we call this
    Easing the spring. And rapidly backwards and forwards
    The early bees are assaulting and fumbling the flowers:
    They call it easing the Spring.

They call it easing the Spring: it is perfectly easy
    If you have any strength in your thumb: like the bolt,
    And the breech, the cocking-piece, and the point of balance,
    Which in our case we have not got; and the almond blossom
    Silent in all of the gardens and the bees going backwards and forwards,
    For today we have the naming of parts.

hope you have a stamp for that snake charmer
    It was rifled out. Don't have it anymore. Thing was like a cannon!

Thanks, great advice. I am going with .22 mag. I saw a pic yesterday in an article where a .17 went through some thinner steel plate and the .22 mag stuck itself to it. I think at 50 yds. The .17 does seem to have that kinetic energy but I think I'd rather has some expansion than through and through. Plus less drift like you say.
    Now I just gotta find one and get my paws on it. I don't buy nothing online.
    TPS. Arms IIRC only sells their M6 via FFL orders. Not sure if they sell them via retail sales. I had to place an order for mine via my local FFL. Now I did see one in a gun store near where my grandson goes to school. I dont know how they obtained it though.

Check out Dave Canterbury's you tube video regarding the TPS Arms M6. He does an unboxing / comparison video of the TPS Arms gun and his original Springfield Armory M6. It's a very good video.

TPS. Arms IIRC only sells their M6 via FFL orders. Not sure if they sell them via retail sales. I had to place an order for mine via my local FFL. Now I did see one in a gun store near where my grandson goes to school. I dont know how they obtained it though.

Check out Dave Canterbury's you tube video regarding the TPS Arms M6. He does an unboxing / comparison video of the TPS Arms gun and his original Springfield Armory M6. It's a very good video.
    Thanks, I'll call around to local stores, got an FFL down the street. I dislike buying guns I cannot handle first.

I did watch his video! Excellent!

Thanks, I'll call around to local stores, got an FFL down the street. I dislike buying guns I cannot handle first.

I did watch his video! Excellent!
    I hear ya there. I'm the same way. However if you've ever handled an older M6, they're pretty much the same, just with some modern improvements. Best thing is, it's a brand new gun for less than what used originals are going for. At close to $500, they're not cheap, but I believe the price on these guns as well will only increase over time.

Can't recall if anyone has suggested a combination rifle/shotgun in favourite calibres/bores - covers a couple of contingent situations.
    Plonker - glad to see you have been exposed to the Y'arts.

Quote Originally Posted by IamElmerJFudd View Post
    I've always liked the idea of a pistol and carbine in the same caliber. Using the same magazines is a bonus. One of these days I may take off and travel the country in a small camper van (extended vacation rather than bug-out) and if I do I plan to bring a .357 caliber lever action carbine. This is a firearm type that is allowed everywhere, as far as I know, without having to worry about crossing state laws, and I think I would be better off with a pistol caliber lever action carbine than with a shotgun. Just my .02 cents.
    Interesting, you going for a single caliber philosophy, while I am looking at maximum diversity of caliber.

Tell you another gun I picked up .. got me a little ( and I do mean little) Tarus 327 mag ( can shoot several 32's long short H&R mag) don't use it much but almost always take it to the range when I go, and put a dozen rounds thru it or so, got it mostly for the multi caliber capability, but never really exploited that ... So many guns, so little time
    I was thinking of a specific scenario. That of traveling about the country by van. There's a lot of illicit activity going on in campgrounds these days according to a bunch of you tube videos I've watched. So, I'd want a defensive weapon not a hunting weapon, and I'd want something that would be legal and not raise eyebrows in as many states as possible. I ruled out handguns because there's too many state laws to run afoul of and I ruled out semi-auto carbines because different states have different rules for magazine capacity and accessories. That pretty much left me with a shotgun or a lever action carbine because the pump action IMI Timberwolf is nearly impossible to get these days and the Ruger bolt action just doesn't do it for me. I chose the .357 lever action carbine over the shotgun because I just think it would suit me better (and give me an excuse to buy another gun).
    Regards, Alan K.
    Available for Cabinet level positions, consultation on matters of foreign policy, weddings and bar-mitzvahs. Will work for gold or guns.

I like H&R single shot shotguns for foraging because you can get a set of sub-caliber inserts for them which increases their utility tremendously. https://www.gunadapters.com/
    Regards, Alan K.
    Available for Cabinet level positions, consultation on matters of foreign policy, weddings and bar-mitzvahs. Will work for gold or guns.

Quote Originally Posted by IamElmerJFudd View Post
    I was thinking of a specific scenario. That of traveling about the country by van. There's a lot of illicit activity going on in campgrounds these days according to a bunch of you tube videos I've watched. So, I'd want a defensive weapon not a hunting weapon, and I'd want something that would be legal and not raise eyebrows in as many states as possible. I ruled out handguns because there's too many state laws to run afoul of and I ruled out semi-auto carbines because different states have different rules for magazine capacity and accessories. That pretty much left me with a shotgun or a lever action carbine because the pump action IMI Timberwolf is nearly impossible to get these days and the Ruger bolt action just doesn't do it for me. I chose the .357 lever action carbine over the shotgun because I just think it would suit me better (and give me an excuse to buy another gun).
    Lever guns nearly sold out everywhere. As I mentioned in a reply to Big Coolee with his pairing 45's I need to do that with my Blackhawk .357. For this buy the most important thing is it needs to be a break down and fit in a pack.

Quote Originally Posted by staffy View Post
    Can't recall if anyone has suggested a combination rifle/shotgun in favourite calibres/bores - covers a couple of contingent situations.
    Plonker - glad to see you have been exposed to the Y'arts.
    the TPS Sidney is talking about is a combo, a copy of the AF survival rifle,
    CZ made them as well (imported as Springfield ARmory)

http://tpsarms.com/m6takedown.aspx

a Savage/Stevens 24 would be a good combo gun to have as well,

Estaban ---- Thanks for mentioning my "pairing .45's". If you want to do about the same thing with your Blackhawk .357 I think you would do very well. The light weight Rossi Mod. 92 lever action carbine in .357 would be a perfect match for it. Of course the Rossi is not of the break down design but perhaps a good gun smith / maker could most likely modify one to suit your desires. Or the stock could be removed (or shortened) from the carbine to make it close to a "take down" length. Something like "Steve McQueen's" cut down model in his TV series "Wanted Dead or Alive". If you are able to locate a Rossi Mod 92 in .357 I'd advise you to grab in its current configuration and maybe later modify it to fit your needs.

I have an early made Rossi Mod. 92 in 357 made in the late 1970's that I really like. With a fairly warm hand load I've taken eastern Montana mule deer with the little sweetie.

I'm seriously considering another TPS Arms M6. Im leaning this time toward the .410 over .410. Reasoning being, I could keep a buckshot load in one barrel, and a birdshot load in the other for a luck of the draw type survival hunting scenario. Or I could change out one or the other loadings strictly bigger game, or birds/ other small game. to meet the situation whether its a hunting or self defense.

Stopped by the local FFL who just made the move from his house to a small store front. Only two lever guns in 45-70 and a .22. Says he heard of the M6 but never seen one. sigh
    But, he's got a wall of old Milsurps on consignment! Too pricey for me. Has one Enfield MK 1 on the website for $549. Didn't look at it close though.

Stopped by the local FFL who just made the move from his house to a small store front. Only two lever guns in 45-70 and a .22. Says he heard of the M6 but never seen one. sigh
    But, he's got a wall of old Milsurps on consignment! Too pricey for me. Has one Enfield MK 1 on the website for $549. Didn't look at it close though.
    Doesn't seem like this guy has a whole lot to look at. You could see if he could order you something but with the Covid, everuthing is probably back ordered into next year.

Lever guns nearly sold out everywhere. As I mentioned in a reply to Big Coolee with his pairing 45's I need to do that with my Blackhawk .357. For this buy the most important thing is it needs to be a break down and fit in a pack.
    In Stock

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ross...205988806.html

Shop around:

https://gunwatcher.com/rossi-92-357-...est-price-link

Call them though and make sure they are actually in stock. Cheaper than Dirt is usually pretty accurate.

Thx for the clarification Lyman.

I think you should go with a Ruger Charger takedown with a pistol brace. A 22lr is the ideal survival rifle, It will do everything you need to do.

After reading the comments above concerning the Rossi Mod. 92 I pulled mine out of the safe and showed it again to my wife. She has not looked at it for a few years and asked me why I've kept it in the dark for so long. I believe the last time I had it out in daylight was when our grandson paid us a visit with his fiancée about 3 or 4 years ago. I asked them if they would like to do some shooting and got back a resounding reply "YES". We fired about 40 or 50 rounds of a combination .38 Special and .357 Mag. ammo. The grandson has never been much of a shooter but his financee has brothers who hunt and shoot. She fell in love with the Rossi and didn't want to put it down after the ammo ran out. A couple months later they were married and now live in Phoenix, Az. I wonder if that little shooting session might have clinched the deal. The Rossi will most likely go to them after I no longer have a use for it.

Doesn't seem like this guy has a whole lot to look at. You could see if he could order you something but with the Covid, everuthing is probably back ordered into next year.
    He's pretty small time. I could go to the big local one that has several hundred guns on the walls. Just didn't have the time. They offer lifetime repair if you buy with them. However the backlog for a repair is out 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward78 View Post
    I think you should go with a Ruger Charger takedown with a pistol brace. A 22lr is the ideal survival rifle, It will do everything you need to do.
    I am a BIG Ruger fan! They make all the semi-automatic pistols here in Prescott AZ, plus repairs. Quick an easy but never had to use the repair shop.
    Oh, BTW they are hiring. Prescott is a beautiful part of AZ with the higher elevation an all.
    That said my new 10/22 hasn't even been shot yet. Pretty light beiing the stainless and all weather thing.

I actually ask myself the question of what a good load out would be if I needed to bug out. I currently live in the greater Washington DC area , but I've also lived about 2 years of my life in the middle of nowhere in a cabin with no electricity. I think where you live has a huge influence on what makes sense.

If I could drive out of the DC area I'd probably pack my AR, 10/22, 9mm pistol, and an air pistol. If weight isn't a problem, why not? .556/.223, 9mm, and 22 are the most common calibers so it is usually easy to find and all are economical to stock up on - and that works for me. Even if I don't use the AR I bet I could trade it for something I really need.

I personally like air pistols because they are quiet, require very little maintenance, and you can easily carry hundreds of rounds in your pocket (and it don't matter how you store 'em). Most people will not be threatened by an air pistol (assuming it looks like an air pistol) if they see you with it. I just don't think an air pistol would lead to a confrontation or a bad situation if someone spotted you using it. Just learn to like squirrel.

If I had to walk (especially through populated areas) I'm just taking the 9mm pistol and the air pistol. I'd just use the air pistol for squirrels/rabbits, avoid people, be quiet, and just stay as unnoticed as possible. At least on the east coast most food opportunities can be covered by an air pistol (or 22) and a light fishing kit. Waving an AR or tacticool whatever around is just going to lead to problems and it is not worth lugging around (at least in this area). Worst case scenario I'd have the pistol (in a common caliber), but the way I see it if I had to use it I made all the wrong decisions leading up to the event. ...unless I took a shot inside of 50 yards at one of the many very dumb deer in the area.

If you live in the middle of nowhere and don't have to move, just have a 22 and a larger caliber suitable for game or large predators. Whatever you are comfortable with, know, and can stock up on will work.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast