Re-thinking my Survival Rifle/Caliber - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Re-thinking my Survival Rifle/Caliber

Quote Originally Posted by plonker View Post
    Fishing/trapping kit is in the BOB. line floats hooks sinkers & galvanized steel wire.
    No shoelaces you note. But I have paracord.
    paracord chew thru it in a second .. at least look at the 400 pound + tensile strength braided wire

or not, we aren't talking about my dinner here

there are real reasons you don't find commercially made snares made out of paracord

but paracord does make good shoe laces
    Three People to never believe

A Religious Leader who tells you how to Vote

A Politician who tells you how to Pray

And

A Draft Dodger who tells you how to be a Patriot

And Smiling Bob

Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason toward my country.”
    — PATRICK HENRY

https://orders.stansberryresearch.co...T137955&page=1

paracord chew thru it in a second .. at least look at the 400 pound + tensile strength braided wire
    R-E-A-D- S-L-O-W-E-R.
    (comprehend more.)
    Show me where I said to fish, or trap, with paracord.
    “Americans talk a lot about the value of freedom, but are actually afraid of anyone who truly exhibits it”.
    : Billy (The kid / Dennis Hopper).

With 550 cord and 100mph tape; Ranger can fix anything.

Quote Originally Posted by AmmoSgt View Post
    if you are going to trap do it with pro grade gear https://www.fntpost.com/Categories/T...ension+Cables/

think about it for a minute you got 4 pounds of muscle fighting for it's life wiggling bending chewing struggling on the end of you shoelace snare may I recommend https://www.fntpost.com/Categories/T...upplies/Cable/

and all the other quality parts that can handle that.. they really ae too cheap to cobble some makeshift gonna break BS, when you can get a dozen professionally made snares for under $20

also trapping isn't random so they have books that teach you how and where to set your traps by specie what works as bait .. you would be surprised burn wood works for near best for some critters https://www.fntpost.com/Categories/T...rapping+Books/

you should never count on something you haven't actually done, they call it a skill set for a reason .. but be careful some places regulate trapping more than hunting and not all traps are legal everywhere .. we can't use regular snares in Alabama need power snares .. lot of places require deer stops

carrying traps without practical working knowledge and experience are about as useful as a heart surgeons kit to fix a bad heart valve .

can't use store bought traps straight out of the box animals can smell them miles away .. you need to dip and age them .. and you have to wash them after use to get the dead small off them they make stuff for that https://www.fntpost.com/Categories/T...Trap+Cleaners/

Just curious in a survival situation does one care about regulations? Or humaneness for that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by staffy View Post
    In my youth, late 40's - early 50's, we used raisins rather than corn and worm baited night lines in the river.
    Raisins? Huh, have to try it.

The trap I was explaining is laid on game trails like any other but is the same as a night line without the river.

To further the trap discussion: You don't need a bunch of commercial traps. Some basic items and knowledge will go along way. It is better to saturate an area with multiple easy to emplace traps that require little resources hitting as many of the game trials, water sources, feed source, and areas of sign than it is to put your eggs in one basket with a commercial trap or one that requires it be manually triggered or manned constantly. You won't catch something at all of them or even two of them...

You only need one and can devote your time between checking your traps to other survival needs like potable water, shelter, fire, or gathering the other food sources. Knowledge of the environment is paramount. While there are universal basics, each environment requires specialized knowledge if you want to live better than cambium noodles.

I survived many a day on cambium noodles, pine needle tea, and wild potato. I also ate Jungle Meat, Jungle vegetables and Rice, Raccoon, wild pigs, deer, tweety birds, fish, frogs, snakes, lizards, and pretty much anything that crawled, walked, or flew that was made of meat. Start out small and easy working your way up the food chain.

Last edited by IamElmerJFudd; 07-08-2020 at 04:38 PM.
    Don't Violate My Airspace

I just boiled my traps with soft maple bark gave em a nice blued color sure other bark would work waxed some but wax just protected from rust the boiling killed the smell

I like this locking snare method. Locks up nice an tight. Make a bunch of em. https://youtu.be/k6j_b9Q16BY

Yes, read up on things like ladder snares. Snap snares & whip traps.
    No! Wait I have to post a link! https://youtu.be/ZP176aCpLns

*sigh*
    “Americans talk a lot about the value of freedom, but are actually afraid of anyone who truly exhibits it”.
    : Billy (The kid / Dennis Hopper).

It has come to my attention that some people can't see posted videos for some unknown reason. All they see is a black box where the video is supposed to be. Therefore, in the future, if you're posting a video please also post the video URL so these people can click on it and watch the video on the host site. Also, a brief description of what's on the video might be helpful too. Thank you.
    Regards, Alan K.
    Available for Cabinet level positions, consultation on matters of foreign policy, weddings and bar-mitzvahs. Will work for gold or guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostinspace View Post
    if you are going to trap do it with pro grade gear https://www.fntpost.com/Categories/T...ension+Cables/

think about it for a minute you got 4 pounds of muscle fighting for it's life wiggling bending chewing struggling on the end of you shoelace snare may I recommend https://www.fntpost.com/Categories/T...upplies/Cable/

and all the other quality parts that can handle that.. they really ae too cheap to cobble some makeshift gonna break BS, when you can get a dozen professionally made snares for under $20

also trapping isn't random so they have books that teach you how and where to set your traps by specie what works as bait .. you would be surprised burn wood works for near best for some critters https://www.fntpost.com/Categories/T...rapping+Books/

you should never count on something you haven't actually done, they call it a skill set for a reason .. but be careful some places regulate trapping more than hunting and not all traps are legal everywhere .. we can't use regular snares in Alabama need power snares .. lot of places require deer stops

carrying traps without practical working knowledge and experience are about as useful as a heart surgeons kit to fix a bad heart valve .

can't use store bought traps straight out of the box animals can smell them miles away .. you need to dip and age them .. and you have to wash them after use to get the dead small off them they make stuff for that https://www.fntpost.com/Categories/T...Trap+Cleaners/

Just curious in a survival situation does one care about regulations? Or humaneness for that matter?
    Speaking for myself, in a survival situation, I'm going to do whatever it takes to survive. And regulations and humaneness are going to be far down on the priorities list.

Presumably you would want to try out trapping and how well your home made traps or ability to place a set would work , to sort of learn while dinner still comes from a grocery store

under those conditions it might be good to know and observe the rules

but yeah if you plan on learning strictly OJT only after it's sink or swim, yeah, why worry about rules or getting first class gear beforehand.

I do a little trapping from time to time , make sure I can get meat or bird , make sure I can spot game trails , squirrel nests , stuff like that .. so I actually know I know what I am doing if the SHTF, your mileage may differ

And

And Smiling Bob

Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason toward my country.”
    — PATRICK HENRY

Common sense in such an emotionally charged thread is probably unprecedented. I haven't been hunting or camping in years. I take medications. I grunt like Toshiro Mifune in the Samurai movies every time I have to get up from the couch, and I really enjoy air conditioning and having ice in my drinks, especially in the summer. Yet, I know in my heart that when the SHTF and I make that difficult decision to walk away from whatever is left of society and make my way to the woods with my bug out bag on my back that I will channel the spirits of George Washington Sears, Richard Louis Proenneke, and Mors Kochanski and they will all be telling me that I should have stayed at home.
    Regards, Alan K.
    Available for Cabinet level positions, consultation on matters of foreign policy, weddings and bar-mitzvahs. Will work for gold or guns.

Quote Originally Posted by IamElmerJFudd View Post
    It has come to my attention that some people can't see posted videos for some unknown reason. All they see is a black box where the video is supposed to be. Therefore, in the future, if you're posting a video please also post the video URL so these people can click on it and watch the video on the host site. Also, a brief description of what's on the video might be helpful too. Thank you.
    As you wish senior. Must be the forums software.

The first video I posted up thread was funny as all get out. The kid is an amateur at best.
    Worsty case scenerio is not having the gear to make a snare and do the rock fall trap. This one is kinda funny as well but he does survival contests. Not you typical "Survival" crap on TV but real 87 day contests.

Paiute Deadfall Trap Verses the Figure 4 Deadfall Trap (87 days episode 16) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y7eUlmFZq0

Thumbs up FUDDYour importance is not degraded, just puts you in to specificities As important!

Fudd..in a definable revolutionary process....
    many professionals intertwined with in the foundations of an unconstitutionally in place ruling class either elected or not!
    The restricted governance can be monitored by sleeping cells..
    .transferring information, interrupting services..In places restricted
    over coming most security.

JOBS CHANGE:
    heart, health, many medical conditions Restricted the rolls of foot soldiers..Not in someone reach as your self ..and I at times..

“sniping” out needs, transfiguration of current information...
    just from your residence Air conditioning..or job, or out shopping...
    what happens in the night...causes fright..
    in the day smile and play..

my age health changes monthly at times..!

alternative stay at home plans I have in place..
    been reworking on a few things recently..
    shotguns ammo for in place defense..recently estate accusation...
    I own more than I’ve ever shot, or owned my whole life..
    over 5,000 rounds mostly 12.,...In every size shot combos..
    slugs, to buck, to steel, bsymith. To skeet, trap..defense loads, hunting every game..
    (ammo for 410, 16, 20, not included in count)

in the holding onto the REPUBLIC just as in 1776.... ever able bodied citizens, personal arms, ammo..
    ready in a minute..Foot soldiers...and the resistance on the move inside...
    “Encouraging Grace+constitutional solvently strength, resistances to Chaos!”

Quote Originally Posted by Lostinspace View Post
    Nope and in a SHTF mode I doubt rangers are going to be handing out tickets.
    But in just a pure survival fashion, lost in the woods or what have you I ain't going to be worried about having a hunting/fishing license or what tag I should have had. Or the legality of using a snare.

Hillbilly me will survive...eating wild meat thighs!

Oh my, looky what just hit my news feed. Cyber Punk Cowboy lever gun. Henry Big Boy X in .357 Side gate
    https://youtu.be/fTMmgH3hi0w

Quote Originally Posted by Estaban View Post
    The first video I posted up thread was funny as all get out. The kid is an amateur at best.
    Worsty case scenerio is not having the gear to make a snare and do the rock fall trap. This one is kinda funny as well but he does survival contests. Not you typical "Survival" crap on TV but real 87 day contests.

Paiute Deadfall Trap Verses the Figure 4 Deadfall Trap (87 days episode 16) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y7eUlmFZq0

What he is calling a reverse figure 4 is exactly how I was taught to make just a "regular" figure 4 deadfall trigger. If you notch the support so deeply and squared off like his first figure 4 deadfall trigger then it requires a lot more action on the bait-stick to set off and you can run into the problem of the trigger components blocking the action of your dead fall.

If you have never done this before, it will take considerable effort in constructing your first trigger. With some experience, it can be constructed and set up rather quickly but takes much more effort than a simple drag snare.

Start out easy and work your way up the food chain.

Id rather create passive fishing gear than setup deadfall rat traps. Id much prefer to eat fish than vermin.

You could just go to any hardware store and buy a few spring loaded rat traps and not have to mess with sticks and stones.
    Regards, Alan K.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney Smith View Post
    Id rather create passive fishing gear than setup deadfall rat traps. Id much prefer to eat fish than vermin.
    Of course but it not a restaurant made to order, LOL.

You do the figure 4 deadfall, snares, and fishing gear prep during down time. Instead of putting all your eggs in one basket, set the traps and then go fish while you are waiting. Fishing and every other task is what you do in-between checking your traps. When you have caught enough and preserved it for the next leg of the movement....move out.

You could just go to any hardware store and buy a few spring loaded rat traps and not have to mess with sticks and stones.
    Yes that is ideal and there is much you can do if you are in fixed site. If you are moving, living out of a go-bag then you have to balance weight volume restrictions. You move, stop, gather food for then as well as the next movement segment, rest, and then make your move.

check your states fishing advisory before you plan on fish for dinner .. as I have posted countless times before.

it's rare in America to be able to safely eat more the 1 meal of fish a week caught from US lakes or rivers

And

And Smiling Bob

— PATRICK HENRY

I use #2 picture hanging braided wire for anything.... a singe braided strand for from Squirrels and Rabbits or twisted up to a Wolf, if 6 wires are twisted together into a single cable.

My father in law, as a youth, helped his parents set snares, in depth for a mile or more along the rivers for Caribou in the willows lining the rivers where the Caribou cross in the Fall and Spring times during migration.

Interior folks have storys of snaring Moose......

What would you use for an anchor when snaring a moose? A truck?
    Regards, Alan K.

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou View Post
    I use #2 picture hanging braided wire for anything.... a singe braided strand for from Squirrels and Rabbits or twisted up to a Wolf, if 6 wires are twisted together into a single cable.

My father in law, as a youth, helped his parents set snares, in depth for a mile or more along the rivers for Caribou in the willows lining the rivers where the Caribou cross in the Fall and Spring times during migration.

Interior folks have storys of snaring Moose......
    I carry #2 picture wire and a couple of rolls of US Military trip wire in my level one kit. It is annealed steel and pretty tough in a very small package. Never had an issue with anything chewing threw it up to and including a 38 lb male raccoon I caught using trip wire.

Quote Originally Posted by davidsog View Post

You do the figure 4 deadfall, snares, and fishing gear prep during down time. Instead of putting all your eggs in one basket, set the traps and then go fish while you are waiting. Fishing and every other task is what you do in-between checking your traps. When you have caught enough and preserved it for the next leg of the movement....move out.
    Agreed, however I just prefer not to eat insects and vermin. If Im desperate, maybe my mind would change, but otherwise I'd eat grass before I'll eat rat meat or bugs.

with hundreds of edible plants that both taste good and are nutritious why would you eat grass?

http://www.eattheweeds.com/

been posting this for at least a decade and some folks still don't know what grows in their own yard

And

And Smiling Bob

— PATRICK HENRY

Agreed, however I just prefer not to eat insects and vermin. If Im desperate, maybe my mind would change, but otherwise I'd eat grass before I'll eat rat meat or bugs.
    It all tastes like chicken, lol.

bugs,,, no thanks unless i was in serious need,

raw meat,,

raw cow ain't bad,, and sushi,,, damn tasty
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by Lyman1903 View Post

raw meat,,

Lyman you cook the bugs , just like you cook meat .. aside from tasting better and being able to disguise any bad flavors it makes the proteins (and bugs are almost all protein) more digestible best bugs to eat

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bag-of-Mi...0f62b99be3015a

or harvest your own , with cooking and catching tips, https://www.greenbelly.co/pages/edible-insects

there are allowable amounts of insects in any food you eat from flour to peanut butter, it's unavoidable and it doesn't hurt you

Dude it's like food grows on trees ya'know .. survival, so easy a caveman can do it!

They say beetles are God's favorite because He made more different kinds of beetles than any other life form .

just keep some curry power around to season them ( my favorite ) try different things maybe you find a crunchy yummy favorite

And

And Smiling Bob

— PATRICK HENRY

Quote Originally Posted by Lyman1903 View Post

raw meat,,

Lyman you cook the bugs , just like you cook meat .. aside from tasting better and being able to disguise any bad flavors it makes the proteins (and bugs are almost all protein) more digestible best bugs to eat

or harvest your own , with cooking and catching tips, https://www.greenbelly.co/pages/edible-insects

there are allowable amounts of insects in any food you eat from flour to peanut butter, it's unavoidable and it doesn't hurt you

Dude it's like food grows on trees ya'know .. survival, so easy a caveman can do it!

They say beetles are God's favorite because He made more different kinds of beetles than any other life form .

just keep some curry power around to season them ( my favorite ) try different things maybe you find a crunchy yummy favorite
    Wasn't aware of dragon flies or stink bugs. Not sure about spearing dragonfly's out of the air though, birdie racquet? What we used as kids haha. Can't wait to pop a stink bug down in front of the wife she thinks I'm crazy for eating shad berries from the shad tree growing by the deck or maybe it's the dangling precariously off the deck trying to get them, that could be it. But them babies are good

Musk rat trap..squirrels Rats..I have 7# smaller steel traps for the need..and pellet guns 4#.
    silent kills maybe required?

to survive is to be advised..to deceive is trapping!

Culturally American's are not programmed to eat insects. When Scott O'Grady briefed the SERE committee that he hid in a bush eating ants in the first 20 minutes on being on the ground in Bosnia, the SERE committee immediately accused him of embellishment. Scott O'Grady was man enough to admit the Air Force PAO had asked him to say it as they wanted the publicity.
    The man that made the accusation had escaped 9 times from various Luftstalag's before he made it back to Allied lines.

Insects can be eaten and are good source of protein. Like Pine nuts, you have to balance the calories expended to collect them vs the calories you intake eating them. As a general rule it is not worth it to gather them except in narrow circumstances. If your going to eat them, the best way is as the opportunity present's itself. Do not waste your time trying to hunt. Think about it. The large animals such as the giant anteater that eat small sized colonial type insects have a biology that is highly specialized to collect them because of that calorie expended vs calorie intake. The amount of calories they collect in one flick of the tongue takes us 30 minutes of work.

The number of times I have eaten insects in a survival situation is ZERO. I have eaten them at State Dinners because the host nation had them on the menu because it was considered a delicacy. I have eaten tarantulas, grubs, and giant water-bugs. With the exception of the grubs, none of them were very tasty and nobody got seconds.

As for Beetles the general rule when it comes to edible insects is to avoid them except for a few species of grubs. Avoid any insects that sting or have a defensive mechanism outside of trying to bite you.

your making some assumption about cultural programing and the need for PR that may not apply and certainly fly's in the face of retail reality .. stuff would be on the shelf if there wasn't a demand ( and at walmart no less, could be a budding trend for all you know , tastes change, and IMHO the ability to adapt is a critical survival skill.

Doesn't hurt tp try new things or to know all your options .. catching , cooking and eating Tarantula's was one of those 12 year old dares to be part ofthe cool kids where I grew up also eating ants and worms

not to quibble about your caution about "Avoid any insects that sting or have a defensive mechanism outside of trying to bite you"

sort of conflicts with the story of the guy eating ants

.. which is it .. avoid or know which ones are edible anyway, especially if you cook'em and sprinkle a little curry powder on them .

also there is a small possibility folks will find some things yummy that you don't and somethings bad tasting that you think good . Every go with a friend to a new resturant they are just over the moon about , only to find you definitely don't share their opinion?

just put the info out there and lets folks make the choices

And

And Smiling Bob

— PATRICK HENRY

your making some assumption about cultural programing and the need for PR that may not apply and certainly fly's in the face of retail reality .. stuff would be on the shelf if there wasn't a demand ( and at walmart no less, could be a budding trend for all you know , tastes change, and IMHO the ability to adapt is a critical survival skill.

Doesn't hurt tp try new things or to know all your options .. catching , cooking and eating Tarantula's was one of those 12 year old dares to be part ofthe cool kids where I grew up also eating ants and worms

not to quibble about your caution about "Avoid any insects that sting or have a defensive mechanism outside of trying to bite you"

sort of conflicts with the story of the guy eating ants

.. which is it .. avoid or know which ones are edible anyway, especially if you cook'em and sprinkle a little curry powder on them .

also there is a small possibility folks will find some things yummy that you don't and somethings bad tasting that you think good . Every go with a friend to a new resturant they are just over the moon about , only to find you definitely don't share their opinion?

just put the info out there and lets folks make the choices
    Do not shoot the messenger about a fact in Western culture or discount the practical experience:

What's stopping us from eating insects?
    In the Western consciousness, all bugs are largely created equal: they're dirty and dangerous, and they should be killed or managed or contained.
    https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...ating-insects/

Food Taboos and Cultural Identity in America: Eating Bugs
    https://sites.bu.edu/gastronomyblog/...a-eating-bugs/

https://askentomologists.com/2015/02...stern-culture/

think of it as dare .. just take the dare someplace you can brush your teeth and get some avocado toast right after .. for the first couple of times .. if you study a little and do it right you won't die or get sick ( be aware of your allergies, most bugs are crustaceans so if you are allergic to shellfish DUH!

In fact sprinkle the bugs ON the avocado toast ( try fried black ants) the traditional way to catch ants in North America is to have a picnic.. doesn't have to be formal ... ants will come as they are anyway

And

And Smiling Bob

— PATRICK HENRY

think of it as dare .. just take the dare someplace you can brush your teeth and get some avocado toast right after .. for the first couple of times .. if you study a little and do it right you won't die or get sick ( be aware of your allergies, most bugs are crustaceans so if you are allergic to shellfish DUH!

In fact sprinkle the bugs ON the avocado toast ( try fried black ants) the traditional way to catch ants in North America is to have a picnic.. doesn't have to be formal ... ants will come as they are anyway
    I guess you missed the part of my post where I said I have eaten insects. I won't pass up a steak for them.

I guess you missed the part of my post where I said I have eaten insects. I won't pass up a steak for them.
    Hmmmm... interesting .. everything I post is only directed at those who read it. But if something is special for one special person I indicate it, or PM a special answer . And it's not unknown for me to ask folks who PM me that they should ask on the forum so more folks pos

oh never mind

you wouldn't pass up a steak for bugs? .. amazing, shocking, a revelation !

And

And Smiling Bob

— PATRICK HENRY

Anyone who passes up a steak for bugs ain't playin with a full deck anyway.

Mind reading is not my thing. How about I just ignore you!

Quote Originally Posted by IamElmerJFudd View Post
    What would you use for an anchor when snaring a moose? A truck?
    For a Moose, Elmer, I would likely set a multiple set, and get a couple snares over a very large animal, even a Bear........and anchor each to a tree or several Willows or a very large rock.
    If need be, a free log with the snare, as long as I could find it, and like the small snares for squirrels and rabbits we use a stick, as a 'drag'. The stick/log/rock drag is fine for willow dwelling animals, as the drag becomes entangled in the bushes very quickly, and if not stopping them altogether, a drag will slow them and leave a very visual trail to where you'll find 'em.

Often, with a weight, or a bent sapling or willow, a 'trigger and lift' snare set can strangle an animal very quickly and neither an anchor or drag.

To save ammo for your bolt action SHTF rifle, or spare the meat and fur any damage, Live animals that cannot be finished with a club should be dispatched with a lance.

Quote Originally Posted by DisasterDog View Post
    Ammo, good tip on the .303 -> .32 adapter, I had not considered that!

I wanted to throw the M1 Carbine out there, quite versatile. I mean, it was designed as a bridge between handgun & rifle.... just sayin.
    my bug out piece and bag are set up for a M1 carbine, bandolier, bayonet, 2 stock pouches, and Walther P38 in a US shoulder rig with a mag pouch. Victory revolver and US shoulder holster for my wife.

t
    The Universe is Change, Life is Opinion.
    Emperor Marcus Aurelius, A.D. 173

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast