Collector advice requested re: SVT Collection

Thread: Collector advice requested re: SVT Collection

Question Collector advice requested re: SVT Collection

Please note, I am a CANADIAN. So do not send me message about buying one of my SVT's , doubt it could be done, and if it could it would be waaay to much trouble to bother.

A few years ago SVT's were rather inexpensive here. I bought several and have pared down to my flock to 6 SVT's and 3 SVT authentic snipers. They are fun to shoot, but not THAT much. Accuracy is so-so. All my regular SVTs have above average to excellent bores. I only shoot one of my sniper rifles (the one with the worst bore). I was looking for a rifle in my safe this morning and kept running into SVT's , almost all never fired. So I was thinking I should move a few out to make space in the safe. I am near retirement and not much into expanding my collection, more into paring it down to personal favourites and special rifles. So , to get to the point, recommendations in how to pick which SVT's to move along: later models with 4 hole vs newer with 12 hole flash hiders those with the thin wrist stocks, those with AVT stocks? All rifles have matching bolt/ receiver numbers, force matched magazines.

Don't need the $$ but would rather have the money in something I get more use from ( trick out my new pick up for the hunting season or toward a small travel trailer since airplane trips and staying in hotels makes me abit nervous right now).

Thanks for any advice especially from old farts like me .
    Last edited by kujuak; 07-01-2020 at 10:21 AM.

Certainly a matter of opinion on how you'd select the ones to keep, so here are my opinions, biased by being primarily a collector:

1. At least one standard rifle and one scoped rifle
    2. Keep the scarcer years or arsenals (the link below will help tremendously).
    3. You say they're matching except the magazine, so I'd favor the rifles with more stamped vs. electropenciled numbers.
    4. Finnish captured; SA marked.
    5. Condition

https://www.m9130.info/svt-40

Amazing!I am going to try and print that article and sit down on my deck and study my pile of SVT's . I really appreciate greatly this information. The "for sale" sign ,just got put aside for awhile.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Turn them all into cash before your fearless leader takes them.

Quote Originally Posted by kujuak View Post
    Amazing!I am going to try and print that article and sit down on my deck and study my pile of SVT's . I really appreciate greatly this information. The "for sale" sign ,just got put aside for awhile.
    Happy that I could point the way to the info

Alabama - Roll Tide! SEC and National Champs

Can't help with your question, but would love to some pics, especially the snipers.
    MEMBER SINCE 08/2004, SILVER STAR MEMBER ON THE ORIGINAL FORUM

There is a canadian forum called Canadian gun nuts. You should check in there what is common and what not in Canada SVT wise. A whole section on SVT variants is dedicated in milsurps forum. Its a great source of information. You have to register though to read the forum as its private, but its easy to do, almost same as here.

Kujuak: I was in the same boat as you but have now moved along most of my SVT 40 refurbs, generally for > double what I paid for them. Out of the many I owned I found none had any significant originality (original barreled action only) and there was little point in collecting multiple examples. Yes, you could keep one in more or less early configuration and one in more or less late configuration. 1943 and '44 examples are certainly more scarce but, if refurbed, are still agglomerations of non-original parts. Podolsk examples are scarcer but, again, only the odd one has Podolsk parts beyond the barreled action. What I concluded was that the real "rare" refurbs were examples with near perfect bores and examples that happen to be very accurate. Note that the former doesn't necessarily guarantee the latter. If you have either of those types I'd suggest those might be your keepers or examples you could get a premium for when selling. What I've ended up keeping are a couple of refurb Snipers, a couple of '43 "Bulgarian light refurbs", and a single Finn capture example.

Ruprecht

We just talked about this over on a motorcycle forum I am on.

My two bits, unless you need or want the money for something else why bother. They cost nothing to house, will only go up in value and take little space. Don't know the laws in the land of hockey, but figure any locking type cabinet would be ok to keep them in if you need space in your "good" safe. Have everything recorded with real world values so if you go before your wife she knows what is what. My wife said she will look at my "bound book" the feds require us to have if you have an 03 FFL, and in there is more info then she or the feds would need, including costs of current values with dates of those values. This is really for her.

Up to you, but unless you need that money to go to a new toy of somekind just hang on to it IMHO.