value of 1842 Springfield musket?

Thread: value of 1842 Springfield musket?

Default value of 1842 Springfield musket?

I know this is going to be a little vague but.... came across a 1842 Springfield musket, manufactured 1848. Sorry couldnt get pictures. Its in fair condition, no ramrod, no bayonet. Not rusted, but defintiely has a fair bit of patina. Action works fine. Say like a 50% overall on condition. Its not a rusted out barn find, but it certainly isnt a perfect condition either.

I know its hard to say without pics, but the seller is asking $450, which seems like it could be a great deal to me given its pushing around the bend to 200 years old at this point

Anyone have a clue what a low end for a well aged, but not rusted out 1842 would be? I looked around the net quite a bit and was hard pressed to find many for sale, most were in better shape going for 1.5-2K

Quote Originally Posted by akolleth View Post
    I know this is going to be a little vague but.... came across a 1842 Springfield musket, manufactured 1848. Sorry couldnt get pictures. Its in fair condition, no ramrod, no bayonet. Not rusted, but defintiely has a fair bit of patina. Action works fine. Say like a 50% overall on condition. Its not a rusted out barn find, but it certainly isnt a perfect condition either.

I know its hard to say without pics, but the seller is asking $450, which seems like it could be a great deal to me given its pushing around the bend to 200 years old at this point

Anyone have a clue what a low end for a well aged, but not rusted out 1842 would be? I looked around the net quite a bit and was hard pressed to find many for sale, most were in better shape going for 1.5-2K
    I am no expert and see few muzzleloaders, but Flayderman's Guide 9th Ed, 2007 gives a value of $950 for a Springfield 1842 in "good" condition, and, if rifled, with or without long range rear sight, $1250 or so. I always thought Flayderman was a bit low from the few things I saw in his book that I saw. He has a lot of info on grading, but I'm too lazy to wade through it: I doubt gun you describe would be considered "good" by Flayderman but probably would go fair.
    Total production by Springfield per Flayderman was 172,000: can't be that many that survived since vast majority would have seen major service in Mexican and Civil War and after the Civil War many were "sporterized" by various means.
    So....if you want it, I'd say it's a good deal myself. That and $2.00 now will get you a cup of coffee, of course, but how many do you see for sale?
    IMA sells more common Enfield muzzle loaders for more than this I think, and I just saw an Enfield go in this price range that sounds a lot rougher than what you're describing on gunbroker.

Sounds like a great deal to me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I agree with the others - $450 for a solid 1842 is a good price. Keep an eye out on Ebay for an original ramrod, or you could just pick up a repro

$450 USD is an excellent price for the 1842 in the condition you describe. Here in Canada, in such condition, are rarely south of $800.

You have better grab it, I have seen just the lock go for $300

I have one of these. A really great feature is finding a rifled musket, but I think that started around 1852. You will NEVER find a gun like that on the internet becasue ALL the sellers or prior owners will have done a bit of facelift and replaced the ram rod. You dont expect a bayonet just thrown in the deal. That is a very rare opportunity to get a gun that has not got the $100 spiffy treatment that elevates the asking price to 4 digits. A good cleaning method with soft brass wool and oil will leave a pleasing patina. Those gun broker patinas dont just happen by accident. Contrary to what some may say, you dont have to shoot every gun you own. I simply mention these are very shootable if you are so inclined.

It is actually fairly common for these $1500 internet gun to have repaired stocks. Typical not to say anything. It is almost expected and not a deal breaker IMHO. I have one now, repaired, rifled. I would buy 5 more at that price. I have shot mine a few times. You do realize a reproduction might run $1500 these days. A repro may take a better beating, I dont know. Mine is actually looking better after a few firings. The bore cleaned up a lot more and even the outer metal is looking better. Or it look better to me, the patina is quite uneven.

I did struggle to remove the nipple and clean out some rock solid buildup in the channel. It is nice to have the nipple free. Now, I can get in there to flush it out.

Sometime there is 1/2 or 1/4 inch cut off the muzzle. Mine is like that. it is another common situation and not a deal breaker for me. At this price, none of this matters. It might impact your desire to mount a bayonet.

There is a well done repro slings out there. The issue with a sling is it complicates removing the barrel for cleaning. The right sling is bit of a pain to remove. I absolutely want the barrel off the gun for cleaning.