Help on Tula receiver date

Thread: Help on Tula receiver date

Default Help on Tula receiver date

Hi folks,

I have a Tula receiver that doesn’t have a date legible on the tang, I don’t know if it ever had one or not. there is no oil hole, and the top of the receiver does not have any marking. I have a different rifle with a Tula receiver dated to 1895 that also doesn’t have any Russian mark on top of the receiver.

So my question is: do we know when the imperial eagle was first marked on the top of the receiver? Can I assume that this receiver is fairly early and can its date be narrowed down?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 262295CD-EA02-4A11-83E8-0476A24B4312_1593379727933.jpeg  

720B606A-FD10-49F0-AC0B-13993CC6B98B_1593379765481.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Trpg23 View Post
    Hi folks,

I have a Tula receiver that doesn’t have a date legible on the tang, I don’t know if it ever had one or not. there is no oil hole, and the top of the receiver does not have any marking. I have a different rifle with a Tula receiver dated to 1895 that also doesn’t have any Russian mark on top of the receiver.

So my question is: do we know when the imperial eagle was first marked on the top of the receiver? Can I assume that this receiver is fairly early and can its date be narrowed down?
    I’m not 100% certain when Tula started putting the eagle on top the receiver but would guess based on observation that it was late 1895 or early 1896. My 1894 Tula M91 has an undated tang with no eagle on the top flat. Likewise my Sako M39 is built on an 1895 dated Tula receiver with no eagle nor evidence that it ever had one such as a grind mark or dimple.

On your tang I can make out what appears to be a three digit “91?” which might indicate later production but doesn’t explain the lack of an eagle on top. I guess it could also be a two digit year for pre-1900. I am curious to see what others might have to say.

To me, it looks like there was an eagle on the receiver that was machined off. There appears to be traces left of the Imperial marking, and the lines look like machine marks--possibly done by whoever stamped the "A" on the tang? It's difficult to make out a date due to the pitting and the "A" overstamp.
    Mosin Fanboy

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the replies. You may be right Willyj73, I was curious about the machining marks on the receiver. Here is a better picture of the top of the receiver where any imperial mark would have been. I have never seen an A mark on the tang like it before. It’s on a Finnish rifle, so it could have been done by any number of sources
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D3DBF07D-D47F-41A2-AD90-0E84562FC3C7_1593489602187.jpeg  

Flash makes it difficult to make out stuff. Outdoors with natural light (not in direct sunlight) and using manual focus provides me with some of the clearest photos--sometimes I have to use the camera phone's zoom. I suspect any markings would still not be very easy to see though.
    Mosin Fanboy