1942 Aussie MKIII*

Thread: 1942 Aussie MKIII*

Default 1942 Aussie MKIII*

Excuse the crappy photos, I’m on vacation and snapped these in a hurry the other day.

I recently acquired an SMLE MKIII* from a friend. The outside looks a little rough but the bore is excellent and she still shoots reduced size plates at 300m.

the most interesting part is the “trench art” on the left side of the stock. Has the name “NELL” with the southern cross constellation framing it. Makes me wonder if possibly it has some wartime history.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oGTYEUB.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	405.7 KB 
ID:	3680559
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m7BCiS4.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	371.6 KB 
ID:	3680561
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ByP3MyV.jpg  

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

NICE!

The only 'trench art' rifle I own is a Yugo 98-48, which 'Georgi' (ГОРГИ) evidently scratched his name upside down on the left side of the forend with what must have been a dull nail.

I like yours better.

You need to flip your sling over. The 'flat' side of the metal buckles (the side where the rivets don't stick out) are supposed to be facing the wood.

Your rifle didn't pick up that sort of wear sitting somewhere in a rifle rack. The odds are it has been there and done that.

Could it be Eskimo Nell?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo6 View Post
    NICE!

The only 'trench art' rifle I own is a Yugo 98-48, which 'Georgi' (ГОРГИ) evidently scratched his name upside down on the left side of the forend with what must have been a dull nail.

I like yours better.

You need to flip your sling over. The 'flat' side of the metal buckles (the side where the rivets don't stick out) are supposed to be facing the wood.

Your rifle didn't pick up that sort of wear sitting somewhere in a rifle rack. The odds are it has been there and done that.
    got ya - clasps should face outward?