Winchester M25 pump, Stevens Top-break

Thread: Winchester M25 pump, Stevens Top-break

Question Winchester M25 pump, Stevens Top-break

These commercial guns are a bit outside of my realm of interest but I'm trying to help a Family member determine a reasonable value.

1) Winchester Model 25 made in 1949. Appears to be all original except that someone added a buttpad. Condition is very nice with no rust and very little wear in the blued finish.

2) Stevens single shot break open shotgun that has a broken stock.

As I recall the Model 25 is a non-take down solid frame version of the Model 12. Not as well known as its older sibling. Nice shape, that one, and the modified choke is desirable. I would think here in the Houston area someone might pay $350 for it. Maybe a bit more.

Thank you! Yes, the Model 25 was Winchesters "poor man's" Model 12, so I've learned recently. It is in remarkable condition for it's age. I think it was made in 1949, which is the first year of production for these. The quality of the bluing is impressive.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jjjxlr8 View Post
    Thank you! Yes, the Model 25 was Winchesters "poor man's" Model 12, so I've learned recently. It is in remarkable condition for it's age. I think it was made in 1949, which is the first year of production for these. The quality of the bluing is impressive.
    One reference I checked on "Winchester Shotguns and Shotshells" indicates a 4 year period of sales for the Winchester Model 25 1950-1954. Approximately 88,000 produced. During same time period, assuming I can still add, about 370,000 Winchester Model 12s were sold. Options on Model 25s were limited: they only came in 12 gauge with either 28" (field grade) or 20" barrels (riot guns). I suspect Winchester wasn't so happy with sales (although probably more concerned about the burgeoning sales of Remington 870s than against their own Model 12s, but differences in sales against Model 12s were probably also a disappointment.)
    I have never seen many of these guns: most recent one I saw (possibly only one I recognized) was at local Cabela's in 2019 probably where I think they were asking $450 while a field grade Model 12 at the same time was in the $350 to $400 range as I recall. That was either in Idaho Falls, Idaho or Boise, Idaho: I forget which, sorry.
    I have no info I know of about your Savage or Stevens break open. Not aware of a whole lot of references on these guns.

Thanks! I do know that they began production in 1949 and ended in 1954. Seems like it could be a $400 (+ or -) shotgun. The quality of the finish sure beats the heck out of anything you could buy today for that money!

single shot break open shotguns, as long as they work, are $75-$150 (condition condition condition) all day long here,

the one pic'ed,,, on table at $100 take a few less,

the winchester, agree on the prices provided,
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

For the top-break, J Stevens, the buttstock is broken at the wrist. Is it worth $75 with the broken stock? I was thinking it might be worth $40 to someone who wanted a project.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0857.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	3682145