East German 7.62x54R

Thread: East German 7.62x54R

Question East German 7.62x54R

What can you tell about this East German ammo? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200627_105726_hdr.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	596.7 KB 
ID:	3680935Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200627_105706_hdr.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	754.2 KB 
ID:	3680937

I can't find any info or exact pictures on the same one online. What's it worth?

I am almost certain they never made ball ammo. Older style tin made and supplied by some other Combloc partner... Looks Chinese but I doubt that...older Soviet mfg?

Would it have a premium to a collector? Maybe, but if not, it is worth what other 1950-60ish 54R sells for. Could be WW2 left overs.
    "Saigon Tea, 60 P, you no buy you di di DI!"

I've run a ton of East German 54R. Headstamp dates in the late 60s and early 70s and none packed in cans like that. Mine was all packed more like the Czech stuff at 780rds per case in 20rd boxes. I think all of it was LPs though there may have been some lead core too. While I don't have it sitting handy I think it may have been czech made. I'll dig up a box and post some pics.

Frank
    Ich hab den Reset-Knopf gedrückt
    Doch nichts ist passiert

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by amafrank View Post
    I've run a ton of East German 54R. Headstamp dates in the late 60s and early 70s and none packed in cans like that. Mine was all packed more like the Czech stuff at 780rds per case in 20rd boxes. I think all of it was LPs though there may have been some lead core too. While I don't have it sitting handy I think it may have been czech made. I'll dig up a box and post some pics.

Frank
    This Czech box, Frank? A 10 rd blue box is also found as well as heavy ball in a tan cardboard box. All Czech made.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 36D9EBE2-3678-432B-84E9-5E850ABBE8AA.jpeg  

Perhaps this is superseded and no longer relevant, but I always thought that the DDR used Hungarian, Polish, Czechoslovak x54-mmR cases and whole cartridges?
    That type of container certainly looks old.
    Alle Kunst ist umsonst, Wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.

Looks like the tin used the USSR before the green spam cans came out. The stuff that the little triangle boxes came in. Also looks just like the Polish tins of the 1950's. The blue box def. has the Czech look to it though. As Ammolab said, no documentation of any 54r made in the GDR. They made x39, 8mm, 8mm kurz, but never seen any GDR made 54r.

Quote Originally Posted by ammolab View Post
    This Czech box, Frank? A 10 rd blue box is also found as well as heavy ball in a tan cardboard box. All Czech made.
    That looks like a lot of it. I remember the zed vee for sure which is definitely Czech. I'll take some pics tonight.

Frank
    Ich hab den Reset-Knopf gedrückt
    Doch nichts ist passiert

Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    Looks like the tin used the USSR before the green spam cans came out. The stuff that the little triangle boxes came in. Also looks just like the Polish tins of the 1950's. The blue box def. has the Czech look to it though. As Ammolab said, no documentation of any 54r made in the GDR. They made x39, 8mm, 8mm kurz, but never seen any GDR made 54r.
    East Germany did “make” (load and package) their 125gr FMJ flat base steel core training ammo. Always shows up in Hungarian, Polish, etc cartridge cases though. For my own education...I would have to open that tin up. Gots to know!!

If that can has circular pull tabs on the strips to pull it open, I'd wager it is a Czechoslovakian-mfr. batch...

Personally, I'd open it too! Of course, then I'd have to shoot it at the range as well!
    Alle Kunst ist umsonst, Wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.

Quote Originally Posted by daveccarlson View Post
    If that can has circular pull tabs on the strips to pull it open, I'd wager it is a Czechoslovakian-mfr. batch...

Personally, I'd open it too! Of course, then I'd have to shoot it at the range as well!
    You pull on that folded tab in the upper left corner of the OPs photo. This tears off the whole left side of the lid. Then you can tear off the rest by grabbing that opening.

I have a tan/yellowish box of the ZV, headstamped ZV 65.

I ordered a bunch of the East German 123gr short range ammo in the 90's, if I remember right it came in a pinkish wrap or boxes in a clear plastic flat that prob came out of a tin. Good ammo with low recoil. Loose EG round with ZV box and charger.

Quote Originally Posted by lite-box View Post
    I have a tan/yellowish box of the ZV, headstamped ZV 65.

I ordered a bunch of the East German 123gr short range ammo in the 90's, if I remember right it came in a pinkish wrap or boxes in a clear plastic flat that prob came out of a tin. Good ammo with low recoil. Loose EG round with ZV box and charger.

If my memory is right the EGerman training Ammo wasn’t packed in a tin. As it was range ammo to be used on in country military base ranges, the expense of weatherproof secure packaging was not needed. The Czech training ammo also forgave the tin inside the wood case for a tar paper wrapping.

Here's a box of the EG practice ammo.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PIC_0186.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	209.8 KB 
ID:	3682513