Original Model 1935 magazines

Thread: Original Model 1935 magazines

Default Original Model 1935 magazines

Have a nice 1935, with a great condition holster, but only 1 mag. I purchased the gun from a friend who's WWII vet grandad brought it back. I'd like to find a 2nd original mag for this outfit, but was wondering 1) how can you tell an original 1935 mag from a repro, and 2) where can you find one? See lots of 1934's, but almost no 1935's. Any alleged 1935's that I've located have holes instead of the large open slot that this pistols mag has.

Appreciated any advice.

First, any mag that has Beretta markings on the spine is post war.

Mags with holes are probably Triple K repos, the bottoms are usually stamped to the side and the top of the toe is marked MEXICO.

It is tough to tell a 7.65 from a 9mm magazine unless you have them in hand and use a gage or an actual pistol. The 7.65 mm mags will fit in both pistols, the 9mm mag is just a tad too big, some work fine in both models. I knew a guy that carried a home made gage with him to gunshows so he could easily tell. Keep looking on EBay and Gunbroker, you will see listings.

Which holster do you have, the Italian style or German style? Many of the pistol rigs in the German style came with both style magazines, the one with the finger guard was in the pistol, and a flat base one was in the reserve pouch so it would close better. Many Texans in the 36th Infantry Division brought home the Green German style rigs with both styles of magazines. My collector buddy said in the 1980s and 1990s these rigs were pretty common in Texas gunshows as the division evidently captured crates and crates of them unissued at the end of the war.

Thx, Freehouse, appreciate the info.

I have the Italian style holster, w/reserve pouch (empty, of course), and including a large snap above the belt loop. The mag is the finger guard type w/large open slots on both sides. Would this Italian style have come w/a second finger guard mag in reserve, or would it have been a flat base, like you described for the German style? If a flat base, would it have also had the large open slots?

Incidentally, incidentally my pistol has no service branch markings on the left side of the frame, to the rear of the top of the grip.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Sounds like you have the Royal Carabinieri holster, is it brown? I suspect the spare mag had the finger extension, only the German ones seemed to come with the flat based mag. All Beretta WWII mags will have the large open slots.

So what markings are on your pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by freehouse View Post
    So what markings are on your pistol?
    Can you let us see some picture of gun and holster?

Freehouse & Kanister,
    Sorry fellas, been tied-up... will try to get pictures loaded tonite. Appreciate the help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2086[1].JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	3682305Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2081[1].JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	3682309Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2085[1].JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	3682311Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2082[1].JPG 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	3682313Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2087[1].JPG 
Size:	849.9 KB 
ID:	3682315

Well Guys, these look pretty small, so don't know if you can get much out of them. Very electronically challenged, so this was the best I could do... and probably my first time trying to post on this forum.
    First shot is trying to show that there aren't any markings on the left rear of the frame; above/behind the grip.
    The holster shots were just trying to give you color and general features, particularly the large snap on the backside.
    Freehouse, in answer to you last question, I can't really find much for markings on this pistol. About all I see is shown on the last photo: On the left side, rear, of the magazine slot, just above the bottom end of the lanyard ring, is the numeral 6, or maybe 9, stamped on the frame; forward of the numeral (toward the front of the pistol) is an indistinct symbol, perhaps a Y, but not evenly formed. Other than that, I can find no markings on the pistol, mag or holster, except the normal info on the left side of the slide w/Beretta, the caliber, etc... the date is 1940.

One additional note: Looking at the last pic, the unknown symbol looks much more like a V in the photo than it does w/the gun in hand. It's really indistinct, even w/a lot of magnification (in fact it's worse...), and probably is not a letter at all... at least not in the regular alphabet.

Yes, the holster is a "Carabinieri" one. Strange the lack of any marking on the tangs.
    The V near the magazine slot is only a Beretta's internal inspector mark while the 6 or 9 is the mark left were the lanyard ring was welded.

Interesting. My father was with the 36th and got to Italy about a month before the invasion of the south of France. He never talked much about the war but I've always suspected he obtained his 1934 during the month before the invasion. He only ever had one magazine with the gun. I added the extras. And he made his own holster as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0120.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	3682417

Skizzer, a very nice M1935. I agree with the above observations that it is strange that in that serial range there are no markings what so ever on the tang. As Freehouse stated just keep looking they do show show up occasionally.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by kanister View Post
    Yes, the holster is a "Carabinieri" one. Strange the lack of any marking on the tangs.
    The V near the magazine slot is only a Beretta's internal inspector mark while the 6 or 9 is the mark left were the lanyard ring was welded.
    So, it was probably carried by a Carabinieri rather than regular military? Obvious question I suppose... And, perhaps repeating, what type should the second mag be, finger guard or flat?

Appreciate the deciphering of the V. That was too messed-up for me to even guess.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by yoebuff View Post
    Skizzer, a very nice M1935. I agree with the above observations that it is strange that in that serial range there are no markings what so ever on the tang. As Freehouse stated just keep looking they do show show up occasionally.
    Thanks Sam. Since Freehouse says that the holster is Carabinieri, and assuming that a policeman actually carried it, I wonder if the law enforcement guns were not marked for some reason? Also wondering if the second mag should be w/the finger guard, or flat?

Quote Originally Posted by skizzer View Post
    So, it was probably carried by a Carabinieri rather than regular military? Obvious question I suppose... And, perhaps repeating, what type should the second mag be, finger guard or flat?

Appreciate the deciphering of the V. That was too messed-up for me to even guess.

Thanks!

Carabinieri were and are still today the police branch of the army, so their guns are the same of the army.
    Second magazine was finger guard, but many times were used also the flat one that will fit better to the holster flap.

Quote Originally Posted by kanister View Post
    Carabinieri were and are still today the police branch of the army, so their guns are the same of the army.
    Second magazine was finger guard, but many times were used also the flat one that will fit better to the holster flap.

Thanks, that helps. I assumed the Carab. were more just state police, altho they were involved in war zone enforcement. So, this still leaves the odd situation of the unmarked pistol. Anyway, looks like either original mag style I can find will be appropriate.