Question about Interarms Mauser

Thread: Question about Interarms Mauser

Default Question about Interarms Mauser

Hello all. I recently picked up an Interarms Mark X in .358 Norma Magnum with a 26" barrrel and Weaver K3 3x scope. I've been wanting a .35 caliber rifle for some times and recently passed on a nice .35 Whelen due to price. In the past I've missed out on three separate .358 Norma's for various reasons but finally got a hold of one. As I understand it at the time Norma released this cartridge the only factory rifles were built by Schultz & Larsen of Denmark and Husqvarna of Sweden. Other than that Norma just rented chamber reamers. Does anyone here know if Interarms originally chambered rifles in .358 Norma? Or do I have a rifle that was either rebarreled or built from a bare Interarms action? My personal guess is the later owing to 1. the fact that hardly anyone built a factory .358 Norma, and 2. Every Interarms Mark X I've seen that was factory original had open sights, mine doesn't, and I've never seen an Interarms gun with a stock this nice, they all seem pretty plain. Either way for $500 I feel like I got one heck of a deal on a whole lot of rifle.

Another question there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info on Interarms Mausers other than the obvious of it being a post war, commercial Mauser 98 action built in Yugoslavia by Zastava. I've heard rumors that Zastava used FN tooling but who knows if that's true? Is there any way to at least date when the action was made? Thanks for any help. By the way really loving this rifle, it will a launch a 200gr bullet a 3100fps and a 250gr at 2800-2900fps with the trajectory of a .30-06. Recoil isn't bad either as it weighs about 10lbs. I've also seen data for a 310 grain bullet at 2600fps which slightly exceeds the .375 H&H with a bullet that is only .017" smaller but in a case .350" shorter than the H&H.

Here's a few pics if it helps.

And just for kicks a .358 Norma Mag on the left with a .45-70 on the right.

Congratulations Kyle! You have a nice rifle! Its pattern indeed from the post WWII commercial Fabrique Nationale (aka FN) Belgium action. Interarms was a mega American firm, over a wide post WWII era importing both very nice commercial sporting rifles as well as hoards of military surplus guns. Within the scope and diversity of business as something of a legitimate world arms merchant, it stood alone. A 'decent firm', fostering many beloved military rifles as todays American beloved "collector items".
    Your rifle most likely an eighty-nineties manufacture, Zastava emulating the final FN commercial 98 action "Supreme Mauser" product of latter fifties-plus era production. Where FN slowly turned to other interests such as military contract later designs (semi-auto, etc.) Zastave correctly predicted yet consumer demand. Moving into the market vacuum successfully if bit slowly and push me-pull you. It did offer considerably more 'bang for buck', literally, than relatively pricey FN product equivalent.
    I can't comment on the market destination of your rifle which appears perhaps to be of the "Whitworth" genre. Such where the English Firm Parker Hale built Zastava rifles, presumably from barreled actions supplied by the firm with inference of higher net quality. My belief, assumption based, that PH/Whitworth model was never offered in .358 Norma Mag. Beyond Scandinavia, thought found worldwide, such something of a 'niche' chambering and in numbers such as here stateside, not many. The .358NM, pricey Norma import and by the latter fifties, intro of such as the Winchester .338. A combo of reasonably priced ammo availability coinciding with the 338 chambering. It good for about any North American game; the 358 NM, moving more toward 'cult following or as you noted, the circumstance of folks landing very nice rifles in such chambering.
    It is conceivable that Zastava made and someone marketed a 358 NM chambering originally. Based on the average half century since Zastava rifles became 'mainstream'; the possibility of rebarreling, in your context far stronger. Resolution by 'inference'; barrel nomenclature. Presumably no factory nomenclature and the visible chambering info appearing 'hand stamped'.
    The stock itself might well be original to the rifle as produced. it's appearance to me, more suggestive of 'custom rework/upgrade'. I don't believe the diamond insert ever original beyond early Weatherby and era 'wanna bes'. Simply that feature, suggesting individual taste. The rifle without well defined/sculptured pistol grip area, also suggesting more quite decent 'factory origins'. The forend, also to me a large clue. The dimunitive dimensions there, not suggestive of a heavy recoiling rilfe 'good grasp'; especially if envisioned with gloves! Simply 'not factory'.

Your remark concerning the lack of sights; not necessarily to agree. While metallic sights far more prevalent in pre-seventies era; even the eighties, many production rifles available or exclusively so, without sights. The prevalence of scope=preferred', by then 'with steam'.

The ever present necessary comment in any substantial examination of a rifle presented today... In viewing the majority of such as half century plus era production; the chanances almost 'better than not', of custom alterations. From as small reflecting adding sling swivels, to such as yours. Likely barrel/chambering altered, stock suggesting 'personal aesthetics'/probably barrel channel alterations. Careful, forensic examination and research; the tools available about as far as most folks wish to pressing/diminishing odds bananced.

Here, much my 'best guess'. I believe the fact of a quite decent rifle, not in question beyond - alteration presumed, quality of workmanship yet to be determined in headspace and functioning. As far as practicality, your rifle here much to me in the same category of my 9.3x62 chambered Husqvarna or my several Schultz & Larsen 7x61 S&H. Not really practical rifles, but ones I want!!! If you're a hunter and to deploy your rifle... Way ahead of me; as 'bambi' lover!
    I appreciate your bring this rifle to us here. I always enjoy seeing, opportunity to 'pontificate' about interesting rifles
    May I suggest/urge your to take your rifle to the Swedish Sporting Rifle Forum below where many 'experts well, entirely capable of 'showing me up properly' & netting good learning experience for me!
    Best!
    John

stock is replace custom stock..customized checking etc.
    Bolt not jeweled like whitworths..
    barrel I need a clean cleaner photo of contour and muzzle crown contour..
    My thinking Also barrel is the reason for sll the custom works..

ive own a few one of my first new in box rifle .. the Americans field 3006..
    gorgeous Color play, wood accuracies dependability top..

but I came across a husky 4000 with best Stump wood I had ever seen..still have it
    "Christís Grace + being constitutionally solvent !"

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

https://www.icollector.com/Interarms...ood_i21199818#

the above shows style of pad, barrel markings found on normal production rifles.
    on rear bridge will tell you year made?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle M. View Post
    Does anyone here know if Interarms originally chambered rifles in .358 Norma?
    Have to check my Interarms catalogs at home, but pretty sure they offered the MarkX in this caliber for a few years. Someone may reply sooner than I'll have time to. Rest assured the MarkX was one of the finest production rifles ever made IMHO.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ..... lasts forever....
    NRA Life, NAHC Life
    Retired USN

Beautiful! And a great caliber too. I woulda bought that. I have a Zestava MarkX as well but in 25-06.
    Don't Violate My Airspace

Not originally made in .358 Norma, a rebarrel. Not original stock either. Early model receiver as evidenced by the "A" prefix serial number.

The receivers were sold in the US as well. I've had about 10 of them through my shop over the years and have one sitting in the safe now. A lot of them were used to build custom rifles and its quite possible yours is one of these. The markings on the barrel don't look like something original to the action and my guess is that there are no proofs on the barrel? Its not a big deal in any case. The actions are top notch and a well done rifle is a well done rifle. I have no idea whether it was imported in that configuration or not....

Frank
    Ich hab den Reset-Knopf gedrŁckt
    Doch nichts ist passiert

Thanks everyone for the info. Kind of confirms my beliefs that someone bought a bare action and built this rifle on it. I have no information from the prior owner. The shop I bought it from got it in a large collection they bought from a local woman after her husband passed.

This particular shop deals a lot in obscure calibers and rare guns. And while an Interarms Mark X isn’t exactly rare or valuable I was quite pleased to get a rifle with a Mauser action chambered in an obscure caliber. A combo I’ve been looking for for some time. Being chambered for bigger cartridge like .358 Norma makes it even better.

One warning...a very good warning...do not adjust that trigger without researching 100% how to do it safely!
    ive bought and worked on over 4#..
    that people wrongly adjusted them?
    going off when safety Was changed..
    Pulling, touching trigger A little...then deciding not to shoot, bump The stock goes off..
    Olson Book? has I believe the instructions ..
    if I remember correctly..
    I traded my American field ..for a husky..the mark X was majestic in its over all appearances,
    set up with Mauser( jap) 4x40 scope..sold As package when I bought mine..

Quote Originally Posted by DK PHILLIPS View Post
    One warning...a very good warning...do not adjust that trigger without researching 100% how to do it safely!
    ive bought and worked on over 4#..
    that people wrongly adjusted them?
    going off when safety Was changed..
    Pulling, touching trigger A little...then deciding not to shoot, bump The stock goes off..
    Olson Book? has I believe the instructions ..
    if I remember correctly..
    I traded my American field ..for a husky..the mark X was majestic in its over all appearances,
    set up with Mauser( jap) 4x40 scope..sold As package when I bought mine..
    Thanks for the tip, the trigger on this one isn’t bad at all. I’d guess about 5 lbs. But it has a bit of take up. Chances are I’ll just leave it alone. If I decide to have it messed with I know a gunsmith that’s really good with triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle M. View Post
    Thanks everyone for the info. Kind of confirms my beliefs that someone bought a bare action and built this rifle on it. I have no information from the prior owner. The shop I bought it from got it in a large collection they bought from a local woman after her husband passed.

This particular shop deals a lot in obscure calibers and rare guns. And while an Interarms Mark X isn’t exactly rare or valuable I was quite pleased to get a rifle with a Mauser action chambered in an obscure caliber. A combo I’ve been looking for for some time. Being chambered for bigger cartridge like .358 Norma makes it even better.
    Interarms sold complete rifles and complete actions. I still have a couple NIB Actions. Your's could have been built from either. I know I built customers a ton of custom rifles from complete .30-06's, etc they sent me.

DK, I didn't read where the trigger is adjustable, many of the early models had a non-adjustable trigger with side safety.

I had America field,
    One plastic stocks 7x57,
    Plane MarK X, one more black forearm tip
    .bought cheeper, these three..
    because of safety problems, trigger problems mostly..
    Where saftey wouldn’t engage, or drop sear when moved..( bumping stock on heel)
    Factory ...had red paint applied to mark sealEd position...
    Set at factory..
    say..about 4 lb. or little more?
    i had no military triggers or Mauser two stage triggers from memory ....?
    They had three adj. screws with, nuts on them!
    been awhile..

I've had my Interarmco Mark-X barreled action since 1971 in .25-06. The action was made by FN. The barrel by Ed Shilen ( special order by me)
    Yugo was a Commie Country in that time period so there was no way rifles were being made and then sold in this country.
    I made my own stock and the rifle is a very good shooter to this day.
    Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
    NRA Endowment Member
    President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidrob View Post
    I've had my Interarmco Mark-X barreled action since 1971 in .25-06. The action was made by FN. The barrel by Ed Shilen ( special order by me)
    Yugo was a Commie Country in that time period so there was no way rifles were being made and then sold in this country.
    They were a soviet bloc country but they were still exporting Zastava rifles. I have old gun digests from that era that show the Interarms Mark X, the oldest of which is 1978. My rifle distinctly says made in Yugoslavia on the action.

I’ve also found multiple posts on other forums from people in the U.S. who bought these rifles new in the 70’s and 80’s. Apparently they were sent from Yugoslavia to England where they were stocked and then shipped to the U.S. Though I now believe mine was built from a factory stripped action, which was apparently available.

I don’t see why Yugoslavia being a soviet country would matter anyway. One of my other hobbies is film photography and all of my 1980’s photo magazines list soviet cameras and lenses. So soviet made products were definitely available in the U.S.
    Last edited by Kyle M.; 07-01-2020 at 07:04 PM.

interarms were so far reaching because of connections, secreats, and obligations urned ..
    they brought them in...for sure..
    not FN actions?
    build off Yugoslavia Military up grade is what I remembered..?
    gun digest would date it near..I knew the managing editor personally ken Warner..

Quote Originally Posted by DK PHILLIPS View Post
    interarms were so far reaching because of connections, secreats, and obligations urned ..
    they brought them in...for sure..
    not FN actions?
    build off Yugoslavia Military up grade is what I remembered..?
    gun digest would date it near..I knew the managing editor personally ken Warner..
    For some reason there really isn’t a huge amount of info online about these rifles/actions. But it sounds like it’s basically a direct copy of the post war commercial FN action. Basically a military action with a hinged floorplate, sliding safety, and lack of stripper clip guide.

I’ve personally only ever seen two FN commercial action rifles for sale both were being sold as Belgian Browning’s. For some reason people here think everything made in Belgium is an FN even if it’s not (these were) and they think all FN products are Browning’s which they are not.

Both were basic hunting rifles and I know one was in .30-06, not sure about the other, they weren’t as nice as my Zastava but were sold for over $1500 each because of the FN name. I don’t know if FN commercial Mausers are actually worth that much or if someone got majorly ripped off.

that rifle will go from chipmunks to elephants, your choice. i like it, but would lighten it up a few pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidrob View Post
    Think again.

I learn something new every day.
    Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
    NRA Endowment Member
    President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

At my age I forget something new and old each day..and?