Gunboards Forums banner

Where is all the 7.62x45?

20K views 46 replies 22 participants last post by  Old King Cole 
#1 ·
With the VZ52 Rifle exported by the Czech's around the world and used in countless rebel conflicts, you would think that somewhere, somewhere there is a large stash of 7.62x45 ammo just moldering away in some warehouse or foreign armory. With the cost rapidly approaching $2.00 per round, you would think that the big companies would be looking high and low overseas for some. And with the new crop of VZ's from Ethiopia, there has got to be a pent up demand to make importing some profitable. Any thoughts, insights or knowledge of the situation?

#37 ·
I think the fix is to pretty much steer clear of the Czech Vz. 52 rifle in 7.62x45 and wait for a really nice Vz. 52/57 in 7.62x39.

As to where the 7.62x45 ammo went, I think we have nothing to blame but the voracious demand for any surplus ammo by American shooters. Whatever gets imported is quickly bought up. What isn't shot immediately shows up again years later, being offered for sale at obscene prices.

#39 ·
I think if you like this rifle ( VZ52 in 7.62x45) then it is a reloading proposition. It is also a better round than the 7.62x39 as far as performance goes. Lots of info reloading/making this cartridge. The old ammo is also corrosive. So if you do find some and it still works then you will need to make sure you clean the rifle soon after shooting. I have about 200 rounds of the old steel case stuff with steel inside the bullets. 130 grn. Have pulled some of the bullets and reloaded them in brass cases. Worked well.
These are still the most underappreciated semi auto rifle out there. The quality is very good. And the engineering and design is excellent.The 7.62x45 can also be looked at as a Czech. act of defiance against Russia. At least for two years:)

Have both a AYM and a SHE . Have been shooting and reloading for this cal and rifle for almost 10 years. It is a lot of fun. And you can always use the handy flip out bayonet when you run out of ammo.

Good luck on your search.

J

#42 ·
I just picked up a VZ-52 last week and have some ammo that came with it.
I haven't had a chance to go out and shoot it yet.
I hope the ammo is good as I've read that some of it is duds.
The boxes and ammo look great condition but are your thoughts on this?
Is it 1961 produced and think I'll have good luck with it?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#46 · (Edited)
Yes that is 1961 manufacture. ZV 61 is some of the best VZ52 ammo out there. It is, along with the original 1952 made ammo the only ammo that came on stripper clips. Better than the more plentiful ZV '64 which was sent around the world to hot, humid South American climates. And definitely save the clips. They are worth at least $2.00 each on ebay. I'd even save the steel casings. They will eject quite briskly to the left so be aware. While it takes some effort the steel casings can be reloaded, if there are no splits in the case or neck. You have to modify the primer pocket to take boxer primers. There is a procedure for it somewhere on the boards. We may have no choice if we run out of it altogether. Or you can resize 220 Swift but it is also time consuming and expensive. Modifying the steel cased Milsurp ammo may be the way to go in the future. Have fun with it. But if you do get any duds, misfires or hang fires....BE PATIENT!!! :)

#44 ·
I had about 10K+ rounds of it early on. All looked like yours but BXN marked. Shot very similar in performance and recoil to .308. Never had a dud or hang fire. Sold all my rifles and all but a couple hundred rounds over the years.
10K+.. damn!!
I'd love to be able to find more to feed this gal but tough as hell to find

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.