Japanese Machinegun purchase

Thread: Japanese Machinegun purchase

Default Japanese Machinegun purchase

I’m saving money to buy a Japanese machinegun. I’m looking at the Type 99 or the Type 96. I like the 92 also but I think it outside the budget. Not too long ago I saw a member here acquire a type 99 with the 7.62x39 conversion for 8.5K. So my questions are,
    Is this a good price to expect?
    Is there any reason to get the 99 over the 96?
    Which spares to get?
    Which manufactures to get or stay away from?
    Who is a good person to talk to about purchasing?
    Thanks.
    Mike.

I would go a type 99 lmg. Way more parts and mags.
    The 7.62x39 conversion could be tough to find. I have one but personally find just shooting 7.7 way better!
    If you reload its a breeze.
    All manufacturers are good. As for spare parts proably bolt and op rod even though they hardly ever break. There are repo firing pins that i would get.
    I have three of them if you have questions but I'm not the only one with more than one.
    Last edited by japhunter; 07-02-2020 at 09:22 PM.

Yes! I agree with japhunter, if you're just going to have one the T-99 would be your best bet...

Your price is low, the last 2 99's that were out there sold much higher, a nice Nagoya w/ scope (no case for it), mag & muzzle cover went for 15K on the Ohio Ordnance website & then another very nice Nagoya also w/ mag & muzzle cover but no scope if I remember right went for just over $16K on Gunbroker...

-Rick

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I've had my 99 LMG for 6 tears now. The prices are up on them and the supply seems low. I use mine in 7.7mm. I reload so no issues there. I had it out last September. No issues to report it ran fine. Parts are easier to find then the T96 as are mags. But mags still seem to be hit or miss as far as availability. Buy them when you see them. That's what I did. The 99 is a very robust and durable LMG. Sock away some spare parts. You my or may not need them.
    And Rick left out his famous quote. So I'll add it.
    "No guts no glory"
    Preserving history. One rifle at a time.

When I was deciding, spare parts were definitely a consideration. I ended up going for the Type 96 as one came up for sale at about the same time as a small lot of Type 96 parts (some of which turned out were actually for the Type 99 once I started looking at them).

That stated, Type 96 parts/mags are not as frequently found as Type 99 parts/mags, but they are out there. I still pick up spare parts as I see them assuming they are not too pricey.

Lots of misidentified parts for sale out there so you have to know how the parts vary between both models as some are not interchangeable. Also, there are some variations in T96 parts, so if you get a T96 make sure the parts (specifically ejectors) you are buying are appropriate for the vintage of your LMG.

You couldn't go wrong with either one in my opinion. If I could find a good deal on a Type 99 I would pick one up as well.

Type 96 LMG

Thank you guys. Type 99 is what I’ll shoot for.
    I won’t stick my nose up at a 96 if it’s priced right, but I’ll head towards the 99.

What about the type 11? What’s the ownership experience on that like if anyone knows? The hopper system is the coolest thing ever. Wasn’t great in combat but isn’t gonna cause problems at the range I’d think. No idea on parts at all. Just curious not looking to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by nagantphx View Post
    What about the type 11? What’s the ownership experience on that like if anyone knows? The hopper system is the coolest thing ever. Wasn’t great in combat but isn’t gonna cause problems at the range I’d think. No idea on parts at all. Just curious not looking to buy.
    I have owned two Type 11's and while interesting and fun to shoot, they are the least reliable of the Japanese MG's. Additionally, parts are very hard to find and very expensive when you do. In fact, a decent parts kit will sometimes sell for more money than a transferable receiver. Lastly, they are expensive to shoot in 6.5 (with no cheap projo's to reload) and no caliber conversions exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwi-3pSFKGc

Sounds like quite the experience. I can’t imagine trying to keep that thing working and fed on a time/money front. Thanks for sharing.

Big Ed,

You're right, I'm slipping...

It must be all this covid 19 crap...

Rick,
    I couldn't let it slide. LOL.
    Preserving history. One rifle at a time.

There's a Type-11 on GB.com but you better be sitting down when you check out the price!

Nice sling though!

-Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NGNG.JPG