Ammo getting scarce again.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo getting scarce again.

I thought things were getting better but it seems between the Covid, and the recent protests/riots, ammo is disappearing fast again. My local hardware store that sells guns is out of practically every handgun caliber. No .223 and forget about 7.62x39. just a minor assortment of handguns on the shelves. All their AR15s AKs and the like, gone.

I've started stocking up on hunting ammo just in case that starts to dry up. For the time being that doesn't seem to be the case. I can fall back to reloading if need be but I'd rather keep that as an extreme last resort should the need arise.

If you plan on falling back to reloading, top up on components. I foolishly ran myself down to 100 small rifle primers. I scrounged up another 1k locally this week, nothing to be had online.

Distribution is improving, but spotty. We have cases of various flavors of 5.56, and lots of 9mm and 40 HST, and 9mm ball. Unfortunately not too much else. Like I said, spotty.
    Always looking for interesting 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser cartridges!!!
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Wow, I just checked one big online seller and in .223, everything except 800 round belts was “Backorder. Expected availability: 11/2/2020.” Cute.

You'd be glad to have those belts if you had none and it's all you could get.

Pink shirts may get scarce too; I know I want one.

Not just ammo, but reloading supplies as well.

globug --- I agree a reloader should have a well stocked safe of components laid by because that stuff will be vanishing within a year as well. Everyone who has any inkling of what is coming down the pike no matter how the election turns out should invest in some kind of reloading set up. I started out with a Lyman Tong tool and one set of .45 Colt dies for it. That was in 1959 while in college. When I wasn't pounding the books I was cranking out a few rounds on my desk to burn up on a Saturday afternoon along the Arkansas river bank west of Tulsa Okla. I now reload using a single stage RCBS press for every caliber of rifle and pistol I shoot except .22 LR. If a shooter wants to keep on burning powder for the remainder of his / her days they had better get set up with at least the basic reloading tools in the calibers they have. If the shooters don't do something like that soon, their shooting days are in the low numbers.

I have piles of stuff and have been selling some at silly prices. I have 15 cases of 7.62X39 as well as a lot of boxes. About 5000 of .223 and on and on. I bought when it was cheap and just stored it. I shot a lot of it but I may not live long enough to shoot it all. Buy low, sell high.

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

I figure my kids are going to be able to live for quite some time off the proceeds if they choose to sell off all my ammunition after I croak. I definitely won't live long enough to shoot it all.

No big worries on this front here.

Got begged today to sell 2 bandos of turk for $150. Guy said he was going to sell one to cover cost of both!!!! I have reason to beleive that legally purchased Ammo in CA is resold on street for big profit. And then theres stores here:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200624_123330.jpg  

Gave press all components away $700..
    "Christís Grace + being constitutionally solvently Give strength resistant To Marxism!

cpw is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member

Was in a store yesterday as I needed 22lr pistol brushes and 9 mm brushes. There were none available. Really - there is a run on brushes? All of the other cleaning supplies were amply stocked.
    Charlie
    II Thessalonians 3:10
    Romans 1:26-32
    I Corinthians 6:9

Quote Originally Posted by globug View Post
    If you plan on falling back to reloading, top up on components. I foolishly ran myself down to 100 small rifle primers. I scrounged up another 1k locally this week, nothing to be had online.
    I'm pretty well stocked on reloading supplies. I reload for my hunting rifles, and a couple milsurp calibers but can use those for self hunting/defense should things get real bad.

As I said though, stocking up some more on the hunting rounds as I think that ammo is the next to disappear.

I see that online prices for .308 have not gone nuts like .223. Presumably because everyone's wild for ARs this season vs. battle rifles.

Someone posted a "500 .308 $152" on the boards here. I'm good on .223 but could fill 'er up a bit on 7.62 so I bit. OK its cheap steel case berdan Wolf FMJ - "disposable" - but the target is just as dead.

I see low end 9mm and .45 sold prices on completed GB auctions are now trending at double + what they should be. Add in shipping and .50+/round delivered is plausible. When this is over i think we will see an ammo glut. Think panic buying and all the manufacturing/shipping delays due to hoax are reasons. Do you think Home reloaders in certain states may be come "black market cottage industries" if this continues?

With gun sales spiking the way they are I'm not surprised.
    I wonder how many rounds is a "Starter Kit" for a new gun owner nowadays in the "spray & pray" circles?
    ďAmericans talk a lot about the value of freedom, but are actually afraid of anyone who truly exhibits itĒ.
    : Billy (The kid / Dennis Hopper).

Think about who benefits from the fear factor hoax's. Gun/ammo manufacturers... jus sayin.

Ruger is hiring in Prescott AZ.
    Don't Violate My Airspace

This may not be temporary. The entire nation is witnessing a political movement that wants to take away both their police and their guns. It doesn't take much imagination to guess the next steps in that progression.

from WSJ, "The Gun Sales of June":

"...If soaring gun sales are a guide, millions of Americans are with the McCloskeys. This week the FBI announced a record 3.9 million background checks for June, the highest monthly total since the FBI began keeping the statistic in 1998. Adjusting to reflect checks only for gun purchases, the National Shooting Sports Foundation says this works out to 2.2 million, a 136% increase over June 2019. NSSF spokesman Mark Oliva says about 40% of these checks are for first-time gun buyers.

"This is a warning to the Defund the Police movement about unintended consequences. The more progressives push policies that mean cops won’t be around when people need them, the more they are inviting Americans to exercise their Second Amendment rights to protect themselves."

Pink shirts may get scarce too.

Those that laughed at my suggestion a year ago that we would see martial law in the US may not be laughing soon.

I'm not for defunding police. But I'm dammed worried they are to militarized. They should not have tanks and armored vehicles. If it gets worse the people ​ will not be able to enforce the second amendment.

Vin....Alot of people have jumped on that bandwagon now after doubting such a possibility before......

Quote Originally Posted by Estaban View Post
    I'm not for defunding police. But I'm dammed worried they are to militarized. They should not have tanks and armored vehicles. If it gets worse the people ​ will not be able to enforce the second amendment.
    I don't think that will be the way it goes down. There are many instances of a civilian populace overwhelming things like armor. In Bratislava they used dish detergent on sharply cambered cobblestones! I remember seeing several tracked AFVs stuck into collapsed walls in the steeper parts of the city where the roads were narrow.
    ďAmericans talk a lot about the value of freedom, but are actually afraid of anyone who truly exhibits itĒ.
    : Billy (The kid / Dennis Hopper).

Quote Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
    I see low end 9mm and .45 sold prices on completed GB auctions are now trending at double + what they should be. Add in shipping and .50+/round delivered is plausible. When this is over i think we will see an ammo glut. Think panic buying and all the manufacturing/shipping delays due to hoax are reasons. Do you think Home reloaders in certain states may be come "black market cottage industries" if this continues?
    I did gun shows for many years. Panic - people buying anything & everything.

At Tulsa during the scare with obama - people were lined up to buy a box of 9mm for $45. I was at National Gun Day selling rifle/pistol primer for $45 a thousand (pre obama prices were $9.50 a thousand) and I was the cheapest one at the show.

Hand guns and black rifles were going for at least 50% above retail. After the scare, guys would walk the show trying to sell the weapons they purchased -- those who approached me wee told why would I pay your asking price of 'X' when I have the same on my table marked a lot less.
    Charlie

Think about who benefits from the fear factor hoax's. Gun/ammo manufacturers... jus sayin.

Ruger is hiring in Prescott AZ.
    But you are missing the point ----- who cause the fear to exist?
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
    Those that laughed at my suggestion a year ago that we would see martial law in the US may not be laughing soon.
    The beginnings are here now with the edicts on masks, closings etc.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by plonker View Post
    I don't think that will be the way it goes down. There are many instances of a civilian populace overwhelming things like armor. In Bratislava they used dish detergent on sharply cambered cobblestones! I remember seeing several tracked AFVs stuck into collapsed walls in the steeper parts of the city where the roads were narrow.
    Yep. A Molotov Cocktail was invented as an Anti-Tank weapon.

History of the Molotov Cocktail
    FINLAND’S SECRET WEAPON: THE LIQUOR BOTTLE
    Until the adoption of diesel engines in main battle tanks, the humble Molotov cocktail was the “poor man’s anti-tank missile.”
    The lowly petrol bomb’s shining moment in history came in October, 1956, when the people of Hungary rose up against the communists. It was the Molotov cocktail that enabled them to briefly seize control of central Budapest. The most powerful image from that rebellion was that of a Freedom Fighter hurling his gasoline bomb at a hulking 32-ton “Stalin” tank. By the time the Hungarian Uprising was crushed by the Red Army, the street-fighters of Budapest had destroyed an estimated 400 Soviet tanks, three-quarters of that number with Molotov cocktails or similar variants of improvised explosive devices.
    https://media.wfyi.org/fireandice/hi...v_cocktail.htm

i never ever have to concern myself with shortages of ammo.

if you were smart you would have stocked up when you saw your stash was getting low and ammo was out there.

After reading some of the comments about ammo shortages I took a quick inventory of my ammo stock. Some of what I found I'd forgotten I had. There are several thousand rounds of rifle and pistol ammo in my underground storage place. This is in addition to reloadable brass, hard cast lead bullets, rifle & pistol powders and plenty of large and small primers for reloading empty cases. From what I counted today there should be enough ammo in the storage to supply the next 3 or 4 generations of my descendants.

Quote Originally Posted by plonker View Post
    With gun sales spiking the way they are I'm not surprised.
    I wonder how many rounds is a "Starter Kit" for a new gun owner nowadays in the "spray & pray" circles?
    when it was in stock, the avg new gun buyer would buy one box of 50 of ball, and one or 2 boxes of Self Defense ammo,

sold one guy the last SIG we had in 9mm, only because we had 2 boxes of 9mm ammo left,
    and that was 9mm shot shells,

he HAD to have it, NOW,

now, ammo is spotty, like johnny c said, and what does come in , in common calibers, sells quick
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

When I buy a new gun I will get a couple three 20 rnd boxes of different manufacturer just to see whats best, then order 500 to 1,000 at a time. Been buying lots ever since President Trump got elected. He's terrible for gun and ammo sales if he wins.
    Luckily for them there's a four year cycle for POTUS elections and the fear factor to set in or all the American gun manufacturers will go belly up.

Read this thread and started to worry that I only had 180 rounds of 7x57 Mauser now that I have a beater rifle to shoot and no brass. PPU loaded ammo was sold out at my normal Internet store, but in stock at my second choice. Powder Valley had PPU brass last week, but when I went to buy some yesterday it was sold out. I had not been worrying about ammo since I don't shoot much, but I figured I had better but some 7x57 ammo, if only to get the brass cases for reloading.

Been buying lots ever since President Trump got elected. He's terrible for gun and ammo sales if he wins.
    What ???? It was Obama and the democrats who jacked up prices before and they are doing it again with their rampaging mobs , destroying and looting without restraint . It was Biden who promised to appoint Beto as his "Anti-Gun Czar". You got your facts and parties mixed up.

My coffers full..
    I’ve now made room for Double the amount ...if when necessary..!
    "Christís Grace + being constitutionally solvently Give strength resistant To Marxism!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkie View Post
    What ???? It was Obama and the democrats who jacked up prices before and they are doing it again with their rampaging mobs , destroying and looting without restraint . It was Biden who promised to appoint Beto as his "Anti-Gun Czar". You got your facts and parties mixed up.
    And gun prices did what after he got elected? Dropped through the floor and some companies went bankrupt. I don't think you unnerstood my post.

And gun prices did what after he got elected? Dropped through the floor and some companies went bankrupt. I don't think you unnerstood my post.
    You are right about that. Right or wrong, most gun owners (to include me) believe GOP is less threat to guns and ammo than the Dems are. (The smarter ones don't trust GOP either.) The gun rags love to tout Obama, Clinton, et al, as best gun salespersons ever. But they don't mention the drawbacks about the results of the panic buying: many gun buyers during panics are NOT gun people, not likely to become the same, and they're probably one-time buyers who just bought the only gun they'll ever have.
    The other factor is that gun and ammo makers in the current economic climate, and before that, the climate of political uncertainty about gun ownership (mostly caused by Democrats) are not willing to expand production and sink capital into factory expansion. Many foreign makers are stepping in to fill the gap, but they can be impacted by executive orders or new regulations about imports, etc.

I'm afraid American gun owners and especially collectors like most of us who contribute to this forum, will never see again the good days in gun stuff we experienced over the last 25 to 30 years. Ammo and reloading components are rapidly going down the same trail. I used to buy Trail Boss pistol powder for around $12 to $13 per pound. I bought a pound of it last month and had to cough $24.50 for it. Reloading dies and such equipment are almost beyond my capability to purchase these days. I consider myself very fortunate to have gotten set up to reload for all the calibers I shoot except .32 ACP. I have a number of WWII pieces chambered in .32 (7.65mm) but very seldom fire those pieces. Times and prices have sure changed and in such a short span of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Coulee View Post
    I'm afraid American gun owners and especially collectors like most of us who contribute to this forum, will never see again the good days in gun stuff we experienced over the last 25 to 30 years. Ammo and reloading components are rapidly going down the same trail. I used to buy Trail Boss pistol powder for around $12 to $13 per pound. I bought a pound of it last month and had to cough $24.50 for it. Reloading dies and such equipment are almost beyond my capability to purchase these days. I consider myself very fortunate to have gotten set up to reload for all the calibers I shoot except .32 ACP. I have a number of WWII pieces chambered in .32 (7.65mm) but very seldom fire those pieces. Times and prices have sure changed and in such a short span of time.
    Must say its part intrusive law and lots of inflation!!. The dollar has shrunk to a dime and money flows like water. I used to be amazed when seeing Italians paying with stacks of Lire for household items. Now we pay with electronic stacks and sadly getting used to it. Can drop 1/2 million plus on a house and think it cheap.

vintovka ---- Yes you have hit the nail on the head. Several pieces of remote property in my immediate vicinity are being bought up on the internet sight unseen mostly by out of state buyers. Forty (40) acre pieces of land with a modest cabin and a good water well are being snapped up by out of state people for $300k to $500k depending on access. I bought my remote 180 acres (no improvements on it) in 1978 for about 1/3 the price 40 acre parcels are going for today.

Sure, and 40 years ago, people were buying modest homes on a decent parcel for less than $50k. My dad bought the home I grew up in for something like $18k, and he thought that was horrendous. It's what it is. 50 years from now people will be paying $6.00 for a can of soda out of a machine and they'll think nothing of it.

I remember my father getting pissed that it cost him $5.00 to fill his cars gas tank. Now $ 5.00 barely fills the tank on my lawn tractor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney Smith View Post
    Sure, and 40 years ago, people were buying modest homes on a decent parcel for less than $50k. My dad bought the home I grew up in for something like $18k, and he thought that was horrendous. It's what it is. 50 years from now people will be paying $6.00 for a can of soda out of a machine and they'll think nothing of it.

I remember my father getting pissed that it cost him $5.00 to fill his cars gas tank. Now $ 5.00 barely fills the tank on my lawn tractor.
    You're right but think about wages as well. Wages go up, so do prices.
    Back in high school 50 years ago, a standard savings account paid 5% plus interest as well: now it's .5%.
    Nothing is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney Smith View Post

I remember paying 15 cents ($0.15) per gal for gas. Now locally, it is $2.15 per gal.
    Charlie

I remember the the American dream...ethic codes that shaped my generation..unaware of the Real adult world kept from us..
    I see the American nightmares...Pandora box full of choices?
    age consideration, moralistic Challenging..not Now measured concept.
    its name is Caicos ...revolutionaries unhappily blaming others for there poor Economic choices, life styles...

DK ---- Yes I know exactly what you are talking about, revolutionaries blaming others for their own poor choices. I grew up on a eastern Montana wheat farm that didn't make my family rich by any means. Shortly after high school graduation I told the draft board to put my name on the top of the list. In about 30 days I was taking my army induction physical. I was very fortunate to get the college education portion of the GI Bill . After only 2 short years in Uncle Sam's army I entered an engineering program in Tulsa University and graduated with a BS degree in engineering that I used to travel the world, living / working in the US and about 5 foreign countries over a period of 52 years. Not that that is anything great. I could tell when attending some of my high school class reunions a few of my old classmates had a touch of resentment toward myself. I made my choices with the help of the good Lord and I'm now back in Montana and living on my own piece of semi remote dirt pretty much out of "Harm's Way". Our economic choices pretty much determines our life styles doesn't it ?

Now I look quizzically at all thos
    American shooters who burned up billions or rounds of Berdan primed ammo, and simply threw the cases away overthe las 50 years...a waste of perfectly good and better brass...if reloaded, would have maintained a healthy import to Berdan Primers from the likes of RWS and Vihtavuori, not to mention Murom and Tula.

But no, lazyness and apathy and the US ammo industry ( Boxer cases) " Drove ol' Berdan Down"...and Berdan was American... shades of
    " Nemo profeta in Patria"
    ( No man is a prophet in his own land).

" The Sins of the Fathers are visited on the Sons, aye, even to the Third and Fourth Generations"

Doc AV
    Active Berdanner since 1967:
    SR, SP, Intermed.R & P, Standard R, Russian R, and British R:-
    Sizes of Berdan.. .177, .199, .217, .250, and .254. Stocked up on them all about 10 years ago.
    ( RWS, & Vihtavuori).
    The Man with the most Berdan Primers wins!!! ( about 450,000 but going down!

Question How much is just enought?

Dag...I found all the ammo I need and put it all together last week...
    found in closets, under beds, in corners of rooms, in boxes cover by books, on shelves forgotten over time..
    rebuying, rebuying..loosing count?, counting thinking not enough!
    like toilet paper these days..during Clinton’s, bush, obnoxiously Obama, healery beast possibilities, and now the “orange haired wayS of discontent...
    deals, very low prices, yard sales, gun shows, estate and flea markets locally....
    was a washed with ammo after the first end of the scare..
    people sold ARs..kept ammo..later sale-ing cheep....
    no so now a days...
    any way I found every bit and put it in cool dry basement air tight containers with all the rest.
    no all of it, poor photos..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23612BB2-ADA3-4667-924E-53CF1C2CAF58.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	3689887 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AEEA8B1E-73FD-480B-8D6B-E0FA4F40DB4B.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	3689889 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3C048570-5EC7-4BD3-94F8-CF6DDBC81F54.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	3689891 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11B6BBC9-5147-464F-BA31-B37C70046D05.jpeg 
Views:	6 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	3689893
    front of bench to wall all full need more cans..
    just on that safe is almost all of my 22’s Bricks...
    some ammo still up stairs for home defense.<>< dan
    I still feel paranoid about having enough?

The big wooden box all shot gun shells 12 gauge full.
    .plus two tall tins HoldIng 10 box’s Each skeet loads..

you guys proble have much more than I?
    Last edited by DK PHILLIPS; 07-13-2020 at 09:47 AM.

DK ---- Your boxes and ammo cans look much like mine. Keep it all dry and in a safe, dark place(s).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast