GB Alternatives

Thread: GB Alternatives

Default GB Alternatives

I noticed on another recent thread that people were saying gb is full of cons. Id say that describes about 25% of the transactions Ive been involved in on there. Mostly people misrepresenting stuff, whether on purpose or out of ignorance. Lots of people who say money orders only and have a P.O. Box, but Id never bid on those. My question is what other online sellers do people go through? Im just not familiar with most of them other than gb, ctd , aim, the big auction houses etc. that have been around forever. Other than in person sales Ive only bought guns on gb. I got my t14 on there and overpaid by about $100 but it was a gem. They have a large Regularly changing Inventory but yeah there are a lot of you know whats on there as well. You never know what youll get.

Im all ears on this one.

fredh is offline Platinum Bullet Member with clusters

Over the years I've sold a few items and bought more. All auctions except one have been a good experience. In each case, though, I knew what I was bidding on. If a photo or more info was needed, I asked for it. If the info was not forthcoming, I dropped out. Know that must have happened but can't remember a specific example. Bidding on GB has been a positive experience.

The one exception was an auction for a rifle I'd needed forever for my collection. At around 5k, another bidder jumped in and seemed to be egging me on. After 3 or so bids, I labeled him a shill. After he raised, I let him have the rifle. Ok, fast forward. A few weeks later the rifle was relisted with an explanation the original winning bidder did not come through with the money. With a starting bid in the neighborhood of 5k, no one bid, and, but of course, I wasn't interested. After a few relistings and no sale, the rifle was removed. Ok, a friend got the rifle eventually. And I bought the rifle from him when he broke up the collection. Had to pay more, but it's my baby now. The game goes on.

I placed a max bid by email for a rifle at one of the auction houses maybe 10 years ago. It ticked me that I got the rifle for my max bid, including fees. Their attitude is that I was willing to pay that price, so give it to him at that price. Aint been back. Bid in person at Julia Auction House and his brother-in-law's auction house next door (can't remember the name) and had an excellent experience. In every case I knew what I was bidding on.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Fred:

I can’t help but be curious. What was the $5k rifle that you needed for your collection?

I’m glad that you ended up with the prize but it’s a shame that bad actors caused the rifle to take the circuitous and more expensive path it took to your door.
    Purists of the world, unite!

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams

Last summer I was bidding on a rifle through Proxibid. I couldn't watch the auction live, so I left a high bid of $700. Guess what the rifle happened to sell for? $700. Could be a coincidence, but I'm dubious of that. Was still worth what I paid, but I have a feeling if I hadn't of left that bid online and had been able to just go with it live, I'd have saved some coin.

Gunbroker seems to have alot of either shill bidding lately, or people just getting into collecting with more money than brains. There's a Toyo Kogyo rifle on there right now in a Nagoya 6th or 7th series stock. Advertised as a rare rifle with a mum. $900ish starting bid and some NR bidder has already placed it. Proxibid is the same way. Very high buyers premiums (up to 20% or more!) and too many people bidding.

I've had luck at local auctions, but even then there isn't alot of good Japanese items. My best source lately is forum members here with high quality items and from getting leads at local gun shows when I do displays. You'd be surprised (well, probably not) how many people seem to have Arisaka's laying around with no idea what they are. I used to have luck on the Facebook groups, but not so much anymore. I've gotten some really rare rifles from there for decent prices, but not since they cracked down on gun groups.

Conrad, as we spoke about before, I think this happens often. Very often. For instance, I see this disclaimer on more than a few proxibid auctioneer's listings:

"PLEASE READ: This auction company has requested and been granted access to see all bids placed including any maximum pre-bids. This auction is permitted to engage in this activity by providing this clear disclosure to you, the bidder."

Quote Originally Posted by Richard in NY* View Post
    Fred:

I can’t help but be curious. What was the $5k rifle that you needed for your collection?

I’m glad that you ended up with the prize but it’s a shame that bad actors caused the rifle to take the circuitous and more expensive path it took to your door.
    Richard, it was a T38 sniper. One driver for getting the rifle is that I had a brand new never issued in-the-original-can scope (with leather eyepiece) waiting to be installed. Got it hanging on the wall now and can gaze at it anytime I want to. Yep, in spite of the kung flu, democrats and malcontents, life can be good!
    Last edited by fredh; 07-04-2020 at 02:36 PM.

Wow, that proxibid notice is crooked as hell. How is that legal in a "auction"? I have had a few bids pending on that site, I will be checking for that notice and will never participate in an auction so listed. Many thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Don

I've had a couple of bad experiences with GB over the years from private party sales. I won't buy anything on GB unless it is listed by a dealer.
    Proxibid is a roll of the dice. Descriptions are often poor or inaccurate. I did recently score a very nice and original Type 97 Arisaka from proxibid, but again the description was vague. I just got lucky on that one.
    Fast is fine, But accuracy is final. You must learn to be slow in a hurry.
    Wyatt Earp

Don, sadly, that's not the only crooked line I've seen. There's another that practically states that the auctioneer has been granted the right to bid on their own items. The user agreement states that shill bidding is illegal, but how these two are reconciled I have no idea. Crooked, as you say. I seldom place a bid prior to the day it goes live for these two reasons.

kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Nambu View Post
    Wow, that proxibid notice is crooked as hell. How is that legal in a "auction"? I have had a few bids pending on that site, I will be checking for that notice and will never participate in an auction so listed. Many thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Don

Don, I bought a Long Branch No4 a few weeks ago, and while the seller was helpful getting me photos and info, I didn't bid until the day of because of these two disclaimers in their auction:

"PLEASE READ: At the request of the auction company, this auction permits bids to be placed by the auctioneer, an employee of the auctioneer, or the seller or an agent on the seller's behalf. While Proxibid's Unified User Agreement prohibits this behavior, in accordance with UCC 2-328, this auction is permitted to engage in this activity by providing this clear disclosure to you, the bidder.PLEASE READ: This auction company has requested and been granted access to see all bids placed including any maximum pre-bids. This auction is permitted to engage in this activity by providing this clear disclosure to you, the bidder."

Wow, "or on the sellers behalf" that's interesting, I suppose I'll just drop to direct online and skip any I can't be on top of when they are running. Great thread, lots of useful info.
    Don

Yeah it is kind of the Wild West out there. Wow. I’ve been disappointed with the price increases on a lot of things. There needs to be a directory of places to buy old guns online with ratings etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchapmansc View Post
    Conrad, as we spoke about before, I think this happens often. Very often. For instance, I see this disclaimer on more than a few proxibid auctioneer's listings:

"PLEASE READ: This auction company has requested and been granted access to see all bids placed including any maximum pre-bids. This auction is permitted to engage in this activity by providing this clear disclosure to you, the bidder."

Which is why to avoid proxibid like the plague.
    You remain marginally disappointing. Nevertheless, I still like you ... not a lot, but I like you ....

What auctions I've won there have been trouble free, perhaps I've been fortunate compared to others here. Heck, even on gunbroker and I've only had one issue in 15 years, and that was with a seller. I've never had issues from buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by limpetmine View Post
    Which is why to avoid proxibid like the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by Nambu View Post

Don
    There's a local auction house that sells firearms collections a couple times a year and I usually put in a few absentee bids ahead of time. I've won several items this way and EVERY TIME the items were sold for my maximum bid. I don't think it's by accident. Why would they sell it for less when you have already committed to purchase for more?

With Gunbroker, I usually do the same thing, place one bid and walk away. I have won items for less than my maximum bid on several occasions with GB auctions.

My experiences mirror several of the responses already left. Like FredH, I had a very disappointing bidding transaction 16 years ago with the big auction house in Illinois. Left four absentee bids for items I was very interested in. I won all four for the very maximum prices I had listed on paper, and two of the items were misrepresented and mis-matched. Notified auction house after receiving items with way overpriced handling and packing fees about items being not matching as listed. I was told they would be happy to resale items for me at one of their future auctions, but no returns. I've never bid on another item from them.
    Had no problems with Julia auctions before they sold to another auction house.
    Have never had any problems buying or selling on GunBroker or Auction Arms, but haven't sold anything on GunBroker since they changed their photo hosting format.

To answer the OP's original question, the other sites I've had very good luck bidding or buying nice items for cheap prices are xxxxxxx.com and xxxxxxx gunshop. (kinda like telling everyone where your favorite mushroom patch is!)

Thanks for the advice. It seems real helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by nagantphx View Post
    I noticed on another recent thread that people were saying gb is full of cons. I’d say that describes about 25% of the transactions I’ve been involved in on there. Mostly people misrepresenting stuff, whether on purpose or out of ignorance. Lots of people who say money orders only and have a P.O. Box, but I’d never bid on those. My question is what other online sellers do people go through? I’m just not familiar with most of them other than gb, ctd , aim, the big auction houses etc. that have been around forever. Other than in person sales I’ve only bought guns on gb. I got my t14 on there and overpaid by about $100 but it was a gem. They have a large Regularly changing Inventory but yeah there are a lot of “you know whats” on there as well. You never know what you’ll get.
    How do you know these people have a P.O. Box? What form of payment do you think they should accept?

After over 15 years of using GB I have to disagree, sure, there are idiots that post on GB, but that's where your personal knowledge and experience come in along with a bit of common sense. A few years ago an idiot in Colorado sent me a rifle with NO RIFLING, it had a shot out bore.This is AFTER I E-mailed him specifically asking him about the bore and I was told it was "good". After some BS from him he took it back. So he was removed from the list of people I might do business with.I have heard a number of bad stories about auction houses and don't like several aspects of them, I don't like the way some of them bundle firearms together.I generally want just one specific rifle and don't want to deal with a purchase of 4-5 firearms. But, if U have one of Teddy Roosevelt's Safari rifles and can prove it, an Auction house might be a good way to go.
    VWMAN.

Quote Originally Posted by markmcc201 View Post
    How do you know these people have a P.O. Box? What form of payment do you think they should accept?
    What is it regarding P. O. Boxes that sends people off the deep end? In the tiny rural town in which I live the post office doesn't DO home delivery if you live within a mile of the place. My C&R lists both physical (street) and mailing addresses (which is a P.O. Box).

And don't get me started with those who won't even accept my C&R on appropriate items. . .

But it other than that, I have had very good experiences with Gun Broker.

I have witnessed much worse behavior from dealers at gun shows. Overall, I can not complain about Gun Broker. You have to look close and ask questions. I recently asked about a complete barreled action. I asked if he had a magazine for it. "No, but you can modify one from a such and such rifle or they pop up on ebay all the time." Both lies. You have to use judgement. Don't let "Want" overcome common sense.

It is not really the PO box by itself per se, its the money order only and PO box combo. I wouldn't ever bid on a money order only auction, whether it is a gun or anything. I myself and people I know have been taken that way before. Live and learn. If you use a PO box but accept paypal or whatever, that's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BigGuy View Post
    What is it regarding P. O. Boxes that sends people off the deep end? In the tiny rural town in which I live the post office doesn't DO home delivery if you live within a mile of the place. My C&R lists both physical (street) and mailing addresses (which is a P.O. Box).

And don't get me started with those who won't even accept my C&R on appropriate items. . .

But it other than that, I have had very good experiences with Gun Broker.

If the address they want me to send the "money order only" to is a PO box, that is how I can tell. Just my opinion, but if you can post an auction online, you can figure out something other than "money order only." That is an automatic dealbreaker and huge red flag for me personally.

Quote Originally Posted by markmcc201 View Post

One thing I do, without even thinking about it, is exchange FFLs with the other person prior to sending payment. Before sending out the FFL, I write across the FFL what it's for. That helps prevent someone from doctoring up the FFL and reusing it for themselves. Just like writing personal checks, there are actions you can take to prevent theft and reuse. We do live in trying times, but, fortunately, my collecting efforts have been immune to activity of the sort we're discussing here. May be because I'm 90% paranoid with a lil OCD thrown in for good measure.