2 semi autos, 22 short and 50AE both lethal

Thread: 2 semi autos, 22 short and 50AE both lethal

Default 2 semi autos, 22 short and 50AE both lethal

Striking difference in cal. size,but both would kill.I personally would rather have the 50AE beside the bed,how about you?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-001S.JPG  

MVC-014S.JPG  

Well… The short answer. Before deciding on 'hardware', perhaps conjuring "lifestyle" issues pertinent. Bedmate… “What’s in a name”, exemplary!

“Single life"... Whether 'lonely road warrior' or simply given to 'holidaymaking; 'spontaneous encounters' of the seductive kind. Bedmate! Here, 'software' considerations definitely before 'hardware'! Such as “knowing” whom sharing the bed with… In more than biblical “knowledge" context. Length of acquaintance, whether 'as in those hotel bar "some enchanted evening...” syndrome moments. Or simply heavy-duty partying ‘encounters’.

Either, resulting occasional 'morning after’ hazards perhaps best not complicated by “hardware issue included”. For instance, pregnant pause awakening/greeting moments. Gazing upon new acquaintance; trying to recall her name! Women often 'pinging' on such as greater than ‘pesky details’. Feminine “mood” capable of rapid deterioration, gross ‘attitude-adjustment’ cabable with little notice!’ Perhaps not such 'moment-potential' for “hardware at hand”!

Similarly, wives/partners, etc… Amazing, seismic attitude shift by such as mere slip of the tongue, figuratively speaking! Whispered words of endearment, followed by 'her' name… Except wrong 'her'! Simply amazing such ‘flash-anger moment’ capability. Not the 'moment for ‘hardware at hand’ as perhaps contemplating, “woman with a gun”... Threatening 'Anny Oakley quality precision'... Emasculation capability! First the 'if' of hardware at hand. Choice of ‘hardware’ definitely with “circumstantial analysis” prerequisite.

So, to O/P question, here responsive; my contribution! Anyway, .22 Short chambering - Astra! Below. Bigger & “Hi Cap” firepower - Bernardelli, 6.35mm. Below. Contemplating your sheer “Magnum Force” firepower… My ‘bit ancient’, but capable Thompson Contender SS, 30-30 Win. Perhaps to take down as many as a dozen assailants with one round! Just requiring some “command presence” to secure their cooperation… “Gentlemen, single rank please! Line up!” Efficiency, economy and likely eco-friendly warfare-alternative!

Disclaimer: My offering here, simply humor and only to be taken as such... Along with "in my dreams" fantasy stuff!
    Best!
    John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 23 - 3U.jpg  

22 - 2.jpg  

137 - 10.jpg  

Last edited by iskra; 07-04-2020 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Re-Edit of Late night original! :)

The .22 Short (Jetfire? Starfire?) pistols are scarce today, and the caliber says why. Back a LONG time ago, I carried one as a UC gun and a back-up because I couldn't afford a .25, the other "fire" in the furnace. And .22 Short ammo could be found. Will they kill? Maybe, but I wouldn't count on it. I also had a NAA .22 Short revolver, a last ditch weapon that I could conceal in a pack of cigarettes; I smoked back then, but since gave up my bad habits of smoking and carrying .22 Short firearms. Better than nothing, I guess, but truthfully, for effect I'd rather have a blackjack. Back then, small ultra-concealable weapons were few and choices were limited...extremely so.

Bedside guns: That .50 caliber handgun is an example of extremes...well, both guns are. I'm a middle of the road man in life and firearms. I wouldn't choose either for a bedside gun, for which I think they're extremely unsuitable. The .22 might be stopped or limited in penetration by a hoodie, the .50 would give one shot because of recoil, which probably would penetrate into the next county. And it looks to be clumsy. Either would probably terrify an ordinary burglar, but a burglar who breaks into an occupied house at night isn't an ordinary burglar and probably has more on his mind than stealing your cellphone.

I'd rather have a 9mm or .38 Special.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

There you go Gene! Ever the practical guy. So I'll momentarily try to be practical; descending from my 'flights of fancy sick humor'!

For me and urging for many gun owners... Big, visible gun! "Threatening/Intimidating" and not easily mistaken for anything less lethal such as in poor visability conditions. Of course, exact circumstances/pre planning; accounting for all as chips on table! Anticipating' one matter. Life threats; wise prep, 'overkill - literally quite another.
    Small handguns, even as my 45 ACP stainless American Arms Deringer, not hacking it in threatening-display scenario. But too; my own 'personality' self-assessment as critical/integral to 'defense prep'. My proclivity admittedly toward "soft" and studied preference to keep it that way! 'Balancing with retired military, LE, attorney careers; training/experience/confidence... 'Balanced'.

Just my take
    Best!
    Jonn

I had an FIE Titan in .22 short. The bullet would penetrate clean through a 3/4" pine board.

I also have a Sheridan Blue Streak .20 cal pellet gun. It will go clean through a 3/4" pine board with 6 or 7 pumps.

The pellet gun will never penetrate two boards, though. But the .22 short will.

A Glock 23 is ready at bedside, with a loaded AR near. Sometimes going for a walk I'll slip a .22 mag NAA mini-revolver in a pocket. Not expecting trouble, but this ped has a sting if it appears.

I've been thinking about a tiny little .25 or .22 for that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	600px-Drno-beretta2.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	3684635
    "Leave the Beretta, 007."

At my LGS, an old guy had a NAA .22 Mag. He said, "Yep, 2000 fps." I didn't bother telling him. I had a LR .22 in addition to the Short. I couldn't hit a silhouette target at 3 yards with either of them. Nice little well made guns. I don't know if anyone ever got shot with one. In the movie Assassination Tango, Robert Duval used one to kill 3 people. Only time I've seen them on film.

I like Gene's gloss on this.

I never saw the point of the of the 50AE, the Desert Eagle, etc. I can imagine, during the evolving history of arms development, that there was a time when someone thought the .22 short might be good for something, but the Desert Eagle began its life as a let's-be-weird-for-a-sec kind of gun. For the bedside, am I really going to be thinking, "Wait till my intruder gets a look at this .50 calibre. It's going to be so cool . . . "?

According to the medical reports...
    shot is shot.!
    how bad?
    depends..On where, and your threshold for fear and pain..
    if your able to/ calling 911, ?
    or pinned down bleeding?
    Wondering how long this or your is going to last?
    Firing a 50 in a house..over over..!
    your ears, hearing him surrender?
    ...not going to happen???
    22.. if you hit him ..he wants to leave any way....you’ll here his plea’s ....

I have a shotgun by bed...old can’t see at night.. 3 inch duck loads..steel and tungsten!
    Last edited by DK PHILLIPS; 07-08-2020 at 09:03 PM.
    "Christís Grace + being constitutionally solvently Give strength resistant To Marxism!

Rumor has it a .22 is one of the worst to get shot ( if you live) with because they richot around in the body off bones and especially the hollow point will fragment all over the place after hitting bone
    Don't Violate My Airspace

Advice I've seen suggests you push the mini .22 at/in an opening - eyes, ears, mouth, etc. I imagine neck too. And just keep cocking and squeezing.

Q: Nice and light - in a lady's handbag. No stopping power.
    M: Any comments, 007?
    007: I disagree, sir. I've used a Beretta for ten years. I've never missed with it yet.
    M: Maybe not, but it jammed on your last job and you spent six months in hospital. A double-O number means you're licensed to kill, not get killed.

Thanks guys for the comments!Had to try the 22 short on a pine 3/4 board,yep it goes through,should penetrate a persons skull no prob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-015S.JPG  

MVC-016S.JPG  

@junker: Very cool. That settles some questions, at least for me.

Tried the 50AE on a 4x4,wear good ear plugs and hang on to it tight if you shoot one of these,the concussion is tremendous.A man stopper for sure,probably stop a grizzly bear ,wow!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-017S.JPG  

MVC-018S.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by junker View Post
    Tried the 50AE on a 4x4,wear good ear plugs and hang on to it tight if you shoot one of these,the concussion is tremendous.A man stopper for sure,probably stop a grizzly bear ,wow!
    Not that anybody cares about my usually uninformed opinion, but I'm less than impressed by those results. I expect a hand-cannon like a 50AE to blow a man in half. Or a board in half, at least.

I may have posted this before, I know I did somewhere, but it regards penetration of a .25 and a .22 LR in similar platforms. Me and a buddy tested these on phone books, and the LR out-penetrated the .25 considerably. Surprised me, as I'd read in the National Rifleman just the opposite. I can't remember how many pages each of them penetrated but I'd like to see the results with a .22 short...which is impossible, as there are no longer any thick phone books around here. Paradigm shift.

Didn’t the Israelis give up on the 22 short for assasinations because it sometimes bounced off skulls?
    Gary

The 50AE went through the 4x4 and into a hedge tree stump deep enough that I couldnt dig it out.If hitting a softer human in the spine it would about tear you in half or if arm or leg bone, take that off.I have heard though a 22 caliber kills more people every year than any other caliber.Probably because ammo is cheap and more people have 22 rifles and pistols.Anyway I have heard the Mafia used the 22 cal for hits,with silencers,no sound and enough shots placed to the head to insure death.

Shoot that .50 indoors WO headphones and you may have damaged hearing. I shot a deer with one a couple years ago. I’ve got a partially enclosed deer stand. The barrel wasn’t sticking Out of the stand far enough and I was def in one ear for 45 mins and garble in the other. If the stand was fully enclosed I’d expect some damage. I felt pain in my ears

Deer flipped over, ran 25 yards and died. Hollow points splattered everywhere on the deer. Lungs were soup

A fellow I know did just that! Came home and heard an intruder, picked up hi Desert Eagle .50, yelled that he had a gun and was coming back (in a rear bedroom). He said he did his best "Starsky and Hutch" approach down the hall to the door, the n opened it and opened up as the guy ran across the room and dove out the window he'd come in! Cops came and found two holes in the wall on one side of the window and one on the other side. Cops read him the riot act, he told them to leave! He was asked to come in for a statement the next day and the cops apologized. Cop who was at scene told him he saw the big collection of guns (about a dozen each hand and long) for one thing, but biggest concern was the hole on the side of the window. The two followed the crook to the window, the third after indicated he kept shooting even after the guy had vacated the house.

He couldn't hear at all for a good 3-4 hours, said it took 2-3 DAYS for his hearing to get back to normal. Cops said they found a little blood outside, but not enough for a hit -- probably a shrapnel room from the flying brick! Three .50 holes inside, 4-6" circles of brick blown out the other...

I traded in my 50 DE in for a S&W 500, not going to replace the Colt 1911 Railgun for the nightstand though. If they get out of range then I break out the Dirty Harry Special, the 458 Win Mag.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0284 - Copy.JPG  

Ian Fleming was not very knowledgeable about firearms. The noted British gun writer Geoffrey Boothroyd wrote him, pointing out his mistakes and making suggestions, in the next novel "Major Boothroyd" had been appointed Bond's armorer.

Know of a dad shooting his Enraged son in right shoulder..
    22 bullet traveled bone paths through heart..
    "Christís Grace + being constitutionally solvently Give strength resistant To Marxism!