Im westen nichts neues

Thread: Im westen nichts neues

Default Im westen nichts neues

Found this book at a garage sale. never owned a copy , never read it. So I sat down and read it. very descriptive of what war was like for the common soldier, the horror, the feeling of abandonment, hopelessness, and extreme sadness at the loss of friends. I have both copies of the movie, albeit on VHS . What a war !!
    On another note, watched a Netflix called Sarajevo . Very interesting theory about why The Archduke was killed . I seem to remember reading about a conspiracy to kill him to go to war with Serbia and on to Turkey . Worth watching.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010001.JPG  

P1010002.JPG  

Believe "Great War" as America's first "war of attrition". To my mind Vietnam arguably too! The very circumstance leading German tacticians to rethink then modern warfare capabilities. "Blitzkrieg", emerged even if too many circumstances (Eg. the 'two grads'... Leningrad & Stalingrad included as well as huge civilian casualties!)
    War is horror. Irony that the 'best of our talents and thinkers', yet too often concenrated in moder warcraft, theory and production. "Mine is bigger than yours"; ultimately in too many things other than "one humanity - hearts & charity!
    "Alles Ruhig (Stille)..." A yet compelling work! The saddest aspect of such works in general... We never learn!
    Just my take
    Best & Keep Safe!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by iskra View Post
    Believe "Great War" as America's first "war of attrition". To my mind Vietnam arguably too! The very circumstance leading German tacticians to rethink then modern warfare capabilities. "Blitzkrieg", emerged even if too many circumstances (Eg. the 'two grads'... Leningrad & Stalingrad included as well as huge civilian casualties!)
    War is horror. Irony that the 'best of our talents and thinkers', yet too often concenrated in moder warcraft, theory and production. "Mine is bigger than yours"; ultimately in too many things other than "one humanity - hearts & charity!
    "Alles Ruhig (Stille)..." A yet compelling work! The saddest aspect of such works in general... We never learn!
    Just my take
    Best & Keep Safe!
    John
    US Civil War was first American war of attrition in my view. But any war is horrible for the casualties. A fairly recent book on Cannae (2nd Punic War) "The Ghosts of Cannae" gives an excellent summary of the effects on that war on Rome and Carthage and describes in graphic details the casualty rates largely inflicted by edged weapons. And how quickly it could occur when surrounded by the double envelopment.
    "Der Weg Zuruck" (The Way Back) also by Remarque is an excellent sequel to "All Quiet". Doesn't seem to be nearly as well known but in my view, just as good. It's about the survivors of the company that "All Quiet"'s hero belonged to. One of then killed a non-vet over a woman, and his comrades showed up in support of their pal at the trial. They found the prosecutor's remarks about how the shooter pulled a revolver out of his pocket to perform the shooting as if it was nothing more than a handkerchief hilarious because those young vets could not conceive of why anyone would carry something as useless as a handkerchief in a pocket (as opposed to a revolver). (I admit, the part of the book I remember best.)
    Of course, Remarque had to flee Nazi Germany and his books were banned there, as I recall.