English firearms used in movies

Thread: English firearms used in movies

Default English firearms used in movies

This is a WG Army set up to fire 5 in 1 blanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WG ARMY 1 S.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	3685167

The barrel is plugged and a angled hole has been drilled to release the gas and wads.

Name:	WG ARMY 3 S.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	3685169

This crudely cast WG Army is shown in Harrison Ford's hand in all the non-shooting Indiana Jones scenes.

Name:	CAST WG 1 S.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	3685171

This previously shown MK III was pointed at Indy the "Temple of Doom" movie

Name:	MK III 1 S.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	3685179

Name:	600px-IJTD-TableGunA.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	3685181

This rubber MK IV is shown in the hand of the ship's officer loading the Titanic life boats.

Name:	NK RUBBER 1 S.jpg 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	3685189

Name:	NK RUBBER 3 S.jpg 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	3685191

Name:	NK RUBBER 4 S.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	3685193

This fully automatic blank firing Sten started out in the MGM gun prop room and ended up at Stembridge at Paramount.

Name:	STEM 3 S.jpg 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	3685195

Name:	STEN 1.jpg 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	3685197

Name:	STEN 2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	3685199

There was a Fosbery revolver used in the strange sci fi movie Zardoz.

Also a Webley Fosbery used in The Maltese Falcon...wonder where that ended up!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

IIRC the Storm Troopers in the first Star Wars movie had blasters that looked like black plastic moldings of a No. 1 Mark III.
    Back in 1969 a fellow GI told me that movie guns had sleeves in the barrels to prevent the use of live ammunition. Anyone know anything about that ?

They found that the sleeves stopped the wads, but the unburnt powder still caused injury. The plugged end and angled hole is mostly what is used, but the few directors like Steven Spielberg who want authenticity are the only ones that still use blanks. Nowadays computer imagery creates live fire. In the last Indiana Jones movie, the production company spent $9000 with my co-author Joe Davis to get 3 matching WG Armys, the scene of which seemed to end up on the cutting room floor.

Those film companies pee money away - two P-51s spent days making runs over our town for Saving Private Ryan, and they only appear on screen for a second or so.

That's all part of Spielberg's insistence on authenticity. I have tremendous respect for his movie making because of this even though he is not a gun guy. Even so, all of his films make money.

Quote Originally Posted by joel_black View Post
    They found that the sleeves stopped the wads, but the unburnt powder still caused injury. The plugged end and angled hole is mostly what is used, but the few directors like Steven Spielberg who want authenticity are the only ones that still use blanks. Nowadays computer imagery creates live fire. In the last Indiana Jones movie, the production company spent $9000 with my co-author Joe Davis to get 3 matching WG Armys, the scene of which seemed to end up on the cutting room floor.
    Too bad the kid didn't end up on the cutting room floor instead.
    Turning relics into near-relics since 2005.

"But wait!"
    You can now own the original from the Spielberg movie!
    AND it ships FREE!!!

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Dang it, only $4,999,911 short!

Most of the movie gun props today are airsoft!
    They're varied, comparatively cheap, accurate enough looking & don't need the insurance & Gun wranglers dictated by even movie prop guns.
    “Americans talk a lot about the value of freedom, but are actually afraid of anyone who truly exhibits it”.
    : Billy (The kid / Dennis Hopper).

Quote Originally Posted by plonker View Post
    Most of the movie gun props today are airsoft!
    They're varied, comparatively cheap, accurate enough looking & don't need the insurance & Gun wranglers dictated by even movie prop guns.
    That's exactly right. Computers add the sound and visuals

Name:	Webley & Cagney 001.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	3686161

Here is James Cagney as an IRA godfather, as photographed from the screen on Saudi TV. I was very disappointed by the way "The Godfather II" calumnies the Webley design by having Vito Corleone knock one to pieces after killing Don Fanucci, before dropping the pieces down ventilation shafts.

Full-auto fire in movies is sometimes accomplished with bottled gas, which can be made to perform a rapid succession of reports with realistic flash. A possible sign that this is being done is when a gun is held so you don't see the rube extending back under the shooter's arm.

That's from a 1959 movie "Shake Hands With The Devil". My grandmother took me to see it, I recall a scene where a Webley falls on the beach.

Sherlock homes b/w movies...
    "Christ’s Grace + being constitutionally solvently Give strength resistant To Marxism!

We don't hear much nowadays, for some reason, about "The Wind and the Lion", in which Sean Connery plays a hostage-taking Islamic terrorist, albeit a rather gentle one in a private capacity, and one Theodore Roosevelt thought he would have liked if they had met. There is a scene in which a British diplomat unhorses several Berber cavalry in short order with a Webley pocket revolver, during a kidnapping. The movie is fairly honest about Mulay Al-Raisuli's penchant for execution and maiming, but like Hannibal Lecter's little foible, only of the rude. It was quite a stretch to turn the 64-year-old Greek kidnap victim, Mr. Perdicaris, into Candice Bergen, though.

The marksmanship wasn't as improbable as it seems. Henry Webley demonstrated a 2˝in. barreled .450 to the Metropolitan Police in 1883, and placed five shots in a 2˝in. by 1˝in. group at fifteen yards, and appears to have had little difficulty in training some police officers to a useful level of accuracy. Elmer Keith called the RIC Webley the best police pistol ever made, and for the detective who doesn't anticipate multiple assailants. he had a point. I have my doubts about the stopping power of the pocket Bulldog, though.

Some years ago I created a cas match at ECSASS based on this terrific film. If you’ve never seen it find a dvd and have a treat. We quoted six lines from the film, one for each scenario. I’m thinking that I had shooters bring their own 2 inch revolvers [or use a supplied snubnose] to shoot the opening scene with Ms Pedicaris diplomatic security gentleman, of course the line was ‘Get down Edith’. Started with your revolver in hand. I brought my Metropolitan PoliceClick image for larger version. 

Name:	35E83528-1B67-498A-821E-678CA3B54CB9.jpeg 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	3686667 .450. Another one started with her line about shooting grouse in Scotland and quail in North Carolina, started sg in hand naturally.. A fun match. I was always jealous of my wife who saw it in the theater with a prior boyfriend. Wasn’t jealous of the boyfriend but that she saw it on the big screen and I didn’t. It must have worked out though as we were together for 41 years. A lovely lady.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 07-08-2020 at 04:27 PM.
    ‘Give’em hell, Pike’

A bought this RIC a few years back.
    It was Lot 64 of the Stembridge Arsenal sale in 2007 and was apparently used in "The Wind and the Lion".
    However, I watched the movie carefully several times and I can't spot it. It may have been on set but either wasn't used or didn't survive editing.
    The cylinder is not .442 but actually sleeved to take .38 blanks. It's marked on the frame with the Stembridge "S" marks.
    The auction catalogue is also incorrect in that its not marked as Curry & Bro. It has the normal "P. Webley & Sons, London & Birmingham"
    Its one of the few Webley RIC's I've seen in the 40xxx serial range.

Name:	Webely RIC No.1 - SN40814- 1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	3688817

Name:	Webely RIC No.1 - SN40814- 2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	3688819

joel,

In the late 1960s I saw the movie, "Blue Max" and was stunned to see the WWI German infantry all had No.4 Mk1 SMLEs while the British infantry were properly armed with MkIIIs.

Webley

The Huns were Irish Army which at the time were armed with No4s and still had German style helmets in store. Movie was shot in Ireland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Webley One View Post
    joel,

In the late 1960s I saw the movie, "Blue Max" and was stunned to see the WWI German infantry all had No.4 Mk1 SMLEs while the British infantry were properly armed with MkIIIs.

Webley