Best SHTF/General Purpose Surplus Bolt Action - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best SHTF/General Purpose Surplus Bolt Action

Enfield, specifically my isapore 2a1. Chambered in 7.62 nato. Plenty of that around....second choice would be the M1917.

As it was said earlier , it would be a ammunition availability issue , not which platform or even if it's a military surplus or civilian rifle . So any bolt gun in .223,7.62x39mm, .30-06 , .30-30 or .308 would be tops on my list .A lever gun in a caliber to match a revolver would be a great option , or a 9mm AR Carbine with a 9mm pistol. A Savage 340 C in .30-30 with plentiful ammo is better than anything else without ammo . Just to be clear I would kiss the bolt guns goodbye in that kind of a situation and most likely grab the AR.

Barring prep time, the best thing to do is go with what you know. For me, I'd get stuck with my MAS 36/51 as that's what I have the most ammo for. Not a bad rifle under normal circumstances, but probably a bit too long and bearing too much unnecessary weight. It'd also be nigh impossible to maintain if parts broke (and they will on any bolt gun).

If I had prep, it'd most likely be a Mauser variant in .308/7.62 NATO. More specifically, the FR8 which I'm surprised so few have mentioned (but good on those who have). It's rugged, reliable, well balanced, many of the parts are basic Mauser which are common and makes it easier to repair if needed, it's got good sights, the right barrel length for maneuver but still long enough to throw a .30 cal pill fast enough to take any worthwhile target down. Really hard to argue with that. NATO Enfields are not a bad choice, might be harder to maintain as parts are less common, but will serve well as long as they can. The Mosin is just.... not a good choice. Parts are not as common as you think, unless you like Tapco, and the rifle has some general qualities which make it less than ideal for a long and dirty service. Some of you are not aware how often Mosins got rebuilt by the Soviets and it shows.
    I Started Out with Nothin and I Still Got Most of It Left

Guess it depends on the day and what your after
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20200701-152834_Facebook_1594252801041.jpg  

M39 or K31.

My 303 #4 MK1... Found it in a now defunct gunstore ! Unfortunately it had been sporterized , but whoever did I it , did a nice job! I own several 303s but this became my deer gun ! Shoots great and has great knockdown power. The bolt action smooth, the blueing and the finish excellent !😎

No. 1 Mk III or No. 4 Enfield.

My #1 has been working for over 100 years now. Still does every time.

Conelrad
    Unfortunately, idiots are a renewable resource...

I said M44 before, but I was thinking more Alamo than SHTF. The Mosin would have rocked at the Alamo.

Considering ammo weight and availability, I'm switching to the Mossburg M-44 US. It's like a sawed-off .22 match rifle, micrometer peep sight, lead-lapped barrel, sling.

My goodness what a hideous rifle. I would be pleased to relieve you of the burden of owning such a beast...

I appreciate that, but it's got a two-stage trigger with a little take up to a wall, and then breaks like glass, and that might be too dangerous to let back into circulation.

i don't much about this but if i had only one bolt action rifle to have i'd pick a M39, one of the later built ones. i just think those are all around good shooting rifles for hunting and protection.
    "Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession."

-George Washington 1732-1799

SHTF in the U.S. dictates 30-06 because available everywhere, so an 03A3 for me. In many other countries I'd go with .303 and an Enfield No 4 Mk 1 (T) sniper. They made a sturdy steel box with strap for the scope which would be handy. And a badass wood transit chest for the package if one doesn't mind the extra weight in the pickup.

If grizzly or brown bears are around, No.4 puts rounds downrange faster than 30-06 options.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails No 4 T.jpg  

Military Vehicle Fan Especially British Special Air Service WWII

It's hard to pick just one. The 7.62x54R is a formidable cartridge! I originally picked a Mosin M44 because of the firepower and the carbine handling. Plus it's got that pigsticker in case you need to enforce your social distancing without wasting a round.

My Steyr SSG P2 308!
    "Christ’s Grace + being constitutionally solvently Give strength resistant To Marxism!

For longer-range a PU Sniper and surplus 7N1 and match ammo.

Looked up the Steyer and it looks awful good. Almost too good to be a milsurp, but it is. Wikipedia doesn't lie. And the .308 is lighter than 30-06 with similar ballistics. and easy to find.

I would argue that "easy to find" calibers aren't going to be easy to find for very long. Just because "you can find it anywhere" right now doesn't mean you will, or that you should count on being able to, in a SHTF situation.
    "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."
    - Jebediah Springfield

Finnish M39
    "Just the facts, ma'am."

1903A3 or my Krag, I'm getting old so all my other, bolt milsurps, are getting more difficult to to tote into the boonies.

98 Mauser in .30-06. If I can’t have a modified Milsurp bolt gun I guess I’ll have to go buy an 03A3 in .30-06.

Sporterized '93 7mm Mauser, with Tasco 3x9 scope. Or maybe an 8x56r '95 Steyr Mannlicher straight pull carbine with Tasco 3x9 scope.
    My Jewish, Scotch-Irish Mother always warned me, "That he who would not stoop to pick a pence, would never amount to a pound." Did you know that a 2 liter soda pop bottle holds 8,000 pennies, which = $80usd, twice that if all the pennies were minted before 1982. Why yes, I am a cheep Bazsturd.

Hmmm, one of my Finn M39's. I currently have about 7k rounds of 7.62x54r. Or maybe my 91/38 PU.
    Be polite, be professional, and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
    In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.
    Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is one you lose.

Probably some flavour of Lee-enfield.....a tidy no.5 rifle would do quite well.Failing that a Mosin carbine of some description.....

K98. Carbine sized advantage, hard hitting 8mm, rugged as the day is long. And the bayonet is nasty.

"Be polite, be professional, and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
    In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.
    Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is one you lose."

good reason not to trust or help strangers. May justify shoot on sight
    Three People to never believe

A Religious Leader who tells you how to Vote

A Politician who tells you how to Pray

And

A Draft Dodger who tells you how to be a Patriot

And Smiling Bob

Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason toward my country.”
    — PATRICK HENRY

https://orders.stansberryresearch.co...T137955&page=1

Surplus bolt action? Probably my 1940 KAR 98k, Sauer and son mfg, converted to 30:06 by the Norwegians, smooth as silk, looks almost new, all matching. I'd select this rifle over any other bolt action. It's that good. Given a broader choice, my Marlin .22 auto, and my Russian all original SKS.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenCaulk View Post
    Barring prep time, the best thing to do is go with what you know. For me, I'd get stuck with my MAS 36/51 as that's what I have the most ammo for. Not a bad rifle under normal circumstances, but probably a bit too long and bearing too much unnecessary weight. It'd also be nigh impossible to maintain if parts broke (and they will on any bolt gun).

If I had prep, it'd most likely be a Mauser variant in .308/7.62 NATO. More specifically, the FR8 which I'm surprised so few have mentioned (but good on those who have). It's rugged, reliable, well balanced, many of the parts are basic Mauser which are common and makes it easier to repair if needed, it's got good sights, the right barrel length for maneuver but still long enough to throw a .30 cal pill fast enough to take any worthwhile target down. Really hard to argue with that. NATO Enfields are not a bad choice, might be harder to maintain as parts are less common, but will serve well as long as they can. The Mosin is just.... not a good choice. Parts are not as common as you think, unless you like Tapco, and the rifle has some general qualities which make it less than ideal for a long and dirty service. Some of you are not aware how often Mosins got rebuilt by the Soviets and it shows.
    It also has a nice large bayonet adapter and storage tube. Enough room for a cut down toothbrush, bore snake, and a rudimentary fishing/survival kit.

Quote Originally Posted by DisasterDog View Post
    I would argue that "easy to find" calibers aren't going to be easy to find for very long. Just because "you can find it anywhere" right now doesn't mean you will, or that you should count on being able to, in a SHTF situation.
    Probably very true then it would boil down to the one you had the most ammo on hand for. In my case that would be my 03A3

I'd go with one of three choices if we're sticking with bolt-action options only:

1. Springfield M1903A3. .30-06 is an extremely plentiful round here in the U.S., and you can always find it somewhere. My Springfield has a February 1919 barrel and is in good shape.

2. Enfield No. 4 Mk. I - bought mine 25 years ago and it's still one of my all-time favorites.

3. Enfield No. 5 Mk. I - Same power as the No. 4 Mk. I, but a more compact package. As others have said, the flash hider would be a nice feature to have.

Swiss g11 or k31 with doppler. If good enough for citizen army then good enough for me. As the Italians say the best armour is distance. Shoot and scoot. One shot. one kill. Pro Dio et Patria

Quote Originally Posted by Maine20th View Post
    Swiss g11 or k31 with doppler. If good enough for citizen army then good enough for me. As the Italians say the best armour is distance. Shoot and scoot. One shot. one kill. Pro Dio et Patria
    I have a mess of GP11 ammo and those things cycle faster that most other bolt guns. Just need to get over the optics of the empties falling on your head.

Shoots High --- I like the MN 91-30 rifles and have 3 of them I picked up back in the 90's for about $80 each. Two have somewhat dark bores but one has a mirror bright tube. In my comment #35 I mention the MN M38 as a good choice for a last ditch weapon knowing the bayonet on the M44 detracts from its accuracy. My M38 has quite a muzzle blast and flash but I still like the way it shoots and its accuracy.

The only thing that kills the Mosin rifles for me is their horrible safety feature on the bolt. Have you ever tried to engage the safety? You need both hands, a tree and a come -a- long.

Cool Spare change has disappeared, and limited from local stores banks..

Now you weekend warriors...if change, reloading, and ammo is hard or none existent..
    military cals. Will be picked up off the revolutionary battle fields.....
    that will be your only supplies fought for and foundation of the movements..

exchanging supplies, building para military stores...means shared cals. In your supplies...
    If your you looking NOW for ammo...your a day late hundreds of dollars short!
    a good number is 5,000 rounds a gun.. even if you have 4# in same cal....or more!
    less shared cals..must be supported on their own ..As reserve or special assignments..purposes..
    not useless but subdued secondary ...purposes ..conceiving its ammo..hard to replace..<>< dan

May Gods hand be the hand of change, this election, protecting ..Solidly the security of our Biblical and constitutional Rights amen!
    "Christ’s Grace + being constitutionally solvently Give strength resistant To Marxism!

Quote Originally Posted by DK PHILLIPS View Post
    Now you weekend warriors...if change, reloading, and ammo is hard or none existent..
    military cals. Will be picked up off the revolutionary battle fields.....
    that will be your only supplies fought for and foundation of the movements..

exchanging supplies, building para military stores...means shared cals. In your supplies...
    If your you looking NOW for ammo...your a day late hundreds of dollars short!
    a good number is 5,000 rounds a gun.. even if you have 4# in same cal....or more!
    less shared cals..must be supported on their own ..As reserve or special assignments..purposes..
    not useless but subdued secondary ...purposes ..conceiving its ammo..hard to replace..<>< dan

May Gods hand be the hand of change, this election, protecting ..Solidly the security of our Biblical and constitutional Rights amen!
    Exactly. Pick something that is easy to get a good initial supply of ammunition and more importantly can penetrate the common commercial body armor you see people buying up trying to look like an operator. The bolt gun is not my go to rifle but a supplemental rifle for my family to use. It is small, handy, easy to use with little training, military adopted caliber, and large enough to be effective against most commercially available body armor.

It is also good for a natural disaster type scenario where we might be required to survive for a period of time without modern amenities.

You can see looking at the films of these armed hate groups that there will be plenty of gear to pick up off the battlefield in the unlikely and tragic event of a civil war. I purposely did not buy an AR or 5.56mm platform specifically for that reason and the lack of penetration against body armor. If I really need one, there will be plenty.

All this time I thought we were talking about foraging. I hope you aren't planning on shooting at people. As far as I know most people are morally opposed to it and it is against the law in every state. You can't even get a sporting permit in Chicago or Baltimore.
    Regards, Alan K.
    Available for Cabinet level positions, consultation on matters of foreign policy, weddings and bar-mitzvahs. Will work for gold or guns.

Nobody in this group is advocating, planning, hoping, or wanting any violence. Certainly not the utter and complete tragedy of a civil war.

The mainstreaming of hate groups like this:

Has everyone concerned and rightfully so. Part of their demands is their own country within the United States.
    Last edited by davidsog; 07-12-2020 at 08:30 PM.

https://www.facebook.com/BlackBluePr...1694785008275/

Here is Grand Master Jay of the Not F----- Around Coalition. Not trying to violate the BBS rules, that is just their name and what they call themselves.

He wants reparation. Own Police and control of their own neighborhoods. He then states he wants Blacks to join the Military so they can get control of our Military Forces and take over the country to establish their own nation. It is right there spoken with his own tongue and obvious fanaticism. He does not care about the Democratic Party, elections, or establishing a dialogue to address any social issues.

Last post and back to survival.

Ammosgt brings up a great point in knowing your plants. In fact, one exercise I attended for training, they did not tell us a couple kinds of plants in the area specifically because they wanted to increase our discomfort to show what little you needed to actually survive. Once we knew about those plants, quality of life became considerably better.

Quote Originally Posted by davidsog View Post

Here is Grand Master Jay of the Not F----- Around Coalition. Not trying to violate the BBS rules, that is just their name and what they call themselves.

He wants reparation. Own Police and control of their own neighborhoods. He then states he wants Blacks to join the Military so they can get control of our Military Forces and take over the country to establish their own nation. It is right there spoken with his own tongue and obvious fanaticism. He does not care about the Democratic Party, elections, or establishing a dialogue to address any social issues.

Ammosgt brings up a great point in knowing your plants. In fact, one exercise I attended for training, they did not tell us a couple kinds of plants in the area specifically because they wanted to increase our discomfort to show what little you needed to actually survive. Once we knew about those plants, quality of life became considerably better.
    White people don't riot or loot and burn. https://www.history.com/topics/roari...-race-massacre

As dawn broke on June 1, thousands of white citizens poured into the Greenwood District, looting and burning homes and businesses over an area of 35 city blocks. Firefighters who arrived to help put out fires later testified that rioters had threatened them with guns and forced them to leave.
    Don't Violate My Airspace

Quote Originally Posted by davidsog View Post

which plants? I'm interested? General location ? time of year? do you remember who was giving the class?
    Last edited by AmmoSgt; 07-12-2020 at 04:59 PM.
    Three People to never believe

A Religious Leader who tells you how to Vote

A Politician who tells you how to Pray

And

A Draft Dodger who tells you how to be a Patriot

And Smiling Bob

Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason toward my country.”
    — PATRICK HENRY

https://orders.stansberryresearch.co...T137955&page=1

davidsog ---- I watched about 1/3rd of your 11 1/2 minute video which appeared to me was the same 1 minute video shown 11 times. While watching I couldn't help but think all of these "slew foot" boys and girls appeared to be in their early to mid 20's and lacked any type of military discipline or training at all. Unless some of them wise up and "get the hell away from that mob" they'll never live to see their 30th birthday. I'm not advocating any kind of violence toward them or anyone else. I've just lived long enough to know the kind of behavior that mob is displaying, their arrogance displayed in public and complete lack of any weapons handling / training will not be tolerated by the government or a civilized society with whom they might attempt to overcome.

I wouldn't be surprised that if one of those "slew foot" jerks fires one round off even by accident in the air, half of that mob will empty the loaded magazine that might be in their rifles at nothing at all. Who knows where those bullets will come down ?

Sidney Smith --- Yes I know what you mean. The safety on a Mosin of any model is impossible for my 85 year old arthritic paws. The way I safely carry my Mosins is with the chamber empty. I'm able to work the bolt loading the chamber easily within a second. I haven't tried it yet, but if I were sitting along a deer trail by myself I'd have a round in the chamber with the bolt handle in the vertical position. If something of interest were to show up, a quiet closure of the bolt would require maybe 1/2 second and the rifle is ready to go off with a short trigger pull. If I didn't fire the rifle I'd pull the cartridge out of the chamber, press it back down in the magazine then close the bolt on an empty chamber.

How did this turn into a thread about the Boogaloo? Because if that's what it's about, we ain't bringing bolt action milsurps to it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwagon View Post
    How did this turn into a thread about the Boogaloo? Because if that's what it's about, we ain't bringing bolt action milsurps to it.
    Cept for the old guys who are fascinated with wood furniture and Moisins. I'd be like "this ain't WWI" Take up the rear! LOL
    Don't Violate My Airspace

Quote Originally Posted by AmmoSgt View Post
    which plants? I'm interested? General location ? time of year? do you remember who was giving the class?

The Special Warfare Center gave the class and you have multiple classes and exercises including the ability to spend extended time alone in a survival situation. Survival training continues throughout your career in all environments.

This particular plant was the Wild Potato Vine. It grows everywhere in the south and eastern US from Florida to Canada. Like Estaban's reply on white folks rioting...you have to do some real digging.

https://www.ecofarmingdaily.com/grow...g-wild-potato/

If you know just a few common, edible plants in the area life can be much more tolerable.

For example, they did tell us about Pine Trees. Almost everything on a Pine Tree is edible but it all tastes like crap. One of the easiest, filling, nutritious things is cambium noodles. In just a few minutes you can collect a filling meal. Boil it a couple of times and a shaker of salt sure helps with the taste but you can live on it. Cedar is very similar. You can eat the cambium, chew or make tea from needles (rich in vitamin C), and eat the seeds/cones. The seeds are a pain to gather..you really need a whole bunch of stone age women with nothing to do all day but fish out seeds to harvest enough to make it worthwhile. The cones when they are young and soft are the worth gathering.

None of that taste good though. The wild potato was much more palatable but you have to boil it thru a couple of changes of water.

You cannot eat this one but it makes about the best natural Charmin you can find. Keeps the "Baboon butt" away.

https://www.livescience.com/52001-co...nto%20tallow).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast