Star PD
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Star PD

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    145

    Default Star PD

    After an ugly incident at the liquor store I decided I needed to carry more gun than my favorite Model S. I've carried .357s and my 1911 but they're heavy and the S&W 25-5 in 45LC is an anchor. My BM is heavy for a 9mm.

    So I went looking for a PD that looked like it hadn't been worn out. Found this one. First chance I get I will take it down and inspect it and check out the buffer. Any recommendations on a source for a good quality replacement buffer? Also looking for some Pachmyrs.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Star PD 06.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	219.3 KB 
ID:	3685583

  2. #2

    Default

    Very cool! Iíll be interested in how it does for you.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Now relocated to Texas
    Posts
    3,364

    Default

    Buffers are available, I don’t know of any better than others....I simply change if I feel there is any degradation of the material. Buffers in my PD last a long time as the pistol is not fired extensively, just Enough to remain familiar with it’s shooting characteristics. The PD is a great pistol, carry it in a lined holster as the finish is a bit fragile.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ibmikey View Post
    Buffers are available, I don’t know of any better than others....I simply change if I feel there is any degradation of the material. Buffers in my PD last a long time as the pistol is not fired extensively, just Enough to remain familiar with it’s shooting characteristics. The PD is a great pistol, carry it in a lined holster as the finish is a bit fragile.
    I've been looking for buffers, no luck yet. Pretty sure the one that is in there is good for the time being as the pistol was obviously little used.

    The holster I've been using for my 1911s and large frame stars is an Uncle Mike's nylon belt slide with a thumb break I can adjust to fit under the hammer when cocked and locked. I'm looking for a similar design in a lined leather holster. I know a guy who makes great holsters and he has made a couple of nice knife sheaths for me. I may have a talk with him about making a holster designed the way I want.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Backwoods Virginia
    Posts
    2,672

    Default

    In the 1980s Star changed the material used in the buffers and eliminated this problem. Unfortunately the change was not recorded, and the replacements look the same, so there 's no telling if you have the old or new. Just shoot it until it breaks, then replace it.

    I don't think the Pachmayr grips for PDs are made any longer, but they can still be found occasionally at gun shows, even new in the box. Depending on
    the size of your hand you may want to use (or delete) the front and/or rear straps. On early Pachmayr production the "shelf" on the left grip under the safety was not molded high enough to keep the safety from being rotated downward far enough to allow the safety detent plunger to fly out and be lost. Later production had a higher shelf. The cure on early ones is to press a small domed tack vertically into the shelf to act as a "stop".

    M

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
    In the 1980s Star changed the material used in the buffers and eliminated this problem. Unfortunately the change was not recorded, and the replacements look the same, so there 's no telling if you have the old or new. Just shoot it until it breaks, then replace it.

    I don't think the Pachmayr grips for PDs are made any longer, but they can still be found occasionally at gun shows, even new in the box. Depending on
    the size of your hand you may want to use (or delete) the front and/or rear straps. On early Pachmayr production the "shelf" on the left grip under the safety was not molded high enough to keep the safety from being rotated downward far enough to allow the safety detent plunger to fly out and be lost. Later production had a higher shelf. The cure on early ones is to press a small domed tack vertically into the shelf to act as a "stop".

    M
    Thanks for the info, Mike. I'm sure the Pachmayrs aren't made any longer so I'll have to find used or NOS somewhere. They're my favorite grips for my 1911s and I'm hoping they're just as good on the PD. I'll be careful to check on the safety fitment if I find a pair.

    Although, if I find a nice par of real stag grips I'll be tempted to go that way.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Great choice going with the Star PD I have one and love it but not as much as my Star BM which allows quicker "follow-up" shots. The Star BM is my everyday carry, almost always in a shoulder holster, the same holster can be used for a Star PD. I bought two of the exact same model shoulder holster, one off Ebay, cost $54 which included shipping (the second I got at a country auction for $5, it was "New").

    FYI:

    Nearly any 1911-style buffer will work. I'll check where I bought mine from and post here but be aware it'll take a few days so "suscribe" to this thread to get email notifications.

    Now purchase extra magazines, I have three (3), they have gotten pricey, expect to pay approx. $45 each.
    Last edited by Jersey Jubal; 07-27-2020 at 07:50 PM.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Star PD buffer available on Ebay. Buy at least two (2).

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-PD-45-...edirect=mobile

    There are a few threads here on forum discussing Star PD buffers and their replacement, I think you will find them quite informative.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    44,060

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Backwoods Virginia
    Posts
    2,672

    Default

    No reason to obsess over the buffer. If it's one of Star's new buffers it will last longer than the gun. If it's an older one it will give plenty of warning. Just examine it at every cleaning. When little pieces start coming off, replace it.

    M

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Do we know when Star switched buffers? Was by a year or serial number? Do the old style and new style buffers look the same?

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    44,060

    Default

    Antaris book just says the original buffers were plastic and needed replacement after a few hundred rounds.

    They switched to glass filled nylon and no further problems.
    Laugh hard and often.

    Gary

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curly1 View Post
    Antaris book just says the original buffers were plastic and needed replacement after a few hundred rounds.

    They switched to glass filled nylon and no further problems.
    Thank you. I'm relieved as it appears I have the later buffer.

    Right after purchasing my Star PD I bought additional buffers, some with the "molded lip" some without.

    My PD doesn't see much use, it was "unfired" by the original owner and I've only run three (3) mags through it. Before taking it to the range for the first time I stripped it down and checked the buffer, it was pristine and confirmed that it hadn't been fired.

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    157

    Default

    I got my buffers from a gent in Oregon . Try email at [email protected]
    Cheers!
    Splice

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •