Help! Disassembly dust cover/ bolt from MLM

Thread: Help! Disassembly dust cover/ bolt from MLM

Default Help! Disassembly dust cover/ bolt from MLM

Just looking for some “how too”. I am familiar with SMLEs and bolt disassembly. But was wondering how it differs with the early Lee Metfords. Especially the MKIs with the screws rather than rivet style dust cover and the enclosed bolt head/extractor. The biggest question, are the screws just supposed to come out? The ones I have are very stubborn and I don't want to apply too much force and risk buggering them up!
    And putting it all back on. As always, thanks for the advise and expertise in advance. Before I go diving into a project I like to get some heads up from the experts on here! Cheers!
    Last edited by 148Infantry; 07-08-2020 at 11:20 AM.
    In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; it must be achieved.
    ~FDR (1936)

Ontario's Near North, near Algonquin Park.

The three screws in the bolt. The front one is the largest and does double duty in that it holds down the front end of the dust cover and it also retains the bolt head. If just dismantling the bolt head and striker, the dust cover can stay on.

If you wanted to remove the dust cover, you would need to remove all three screws.

Be cautious torquing on the screwdriver if the screws are stubborn and dont want to move. These screws are a fairly soft casting and not very robust, the driver slots will chew up easily, as many of them are found.
    Nothing of the same thread in any of the Snider, Martini or Lee stable of rifles that could be adapted or modified to fit. So new screws would have to be made as chances are pretty slim to be finding replacements..

Lots of penetrating oil, some heat and an impact driver with a well fitting blade gets the most resistant out. Try tightening first, then try to untighten, tighten, untighten......
    If no budge, soak it and try again the next day. Then the next. Patience required.

Just a caution. Simply cranking on the screw hard wont always do it, the screw head will sometimes crack and half of it falls out leaving a half moon inside a countersunk hole onto which it is impossible to get a grip. So out comes the drill...... its a mess.
    Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!

Thanks for the reply. Very sound advise. I did want to get in a have an inspection/cleaning to the striker and bolt face. But I'm going to be fine with leaving the dust cover in place. The screws have nice finish and are not buggered, so not worth the risk to damaging such a rare item just to inspect whats under there. The finish is good and has storage grease coming out from the crevasses, so I'm fairly confident no rust is hiding. Haven't found a spec of rust anywhere on the rifle, just crud and oil/brown military grease. When I get more time off work to photograph the rifle, I'll be posting a full report on here. But the fact is I have a very nice condition MLM MKI* in my possession, and its even more glourious than I had hoped for!
    In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; it must be achieved.
    ~FDR (1936)