1903 range trip imminent: do I grease the bolt? Or oil it?

Thread: 1903 range trip imminent: do I grease the bolt? Or oil it?

Question 1903 range trip imminent: do I grease the bolt? Or oil it?

Mobil One synthetic (red) grease

- or -

G96 CLP

Which one should use on my bolt for my range trip, tomorrow?

Since it is not a semi-auto, it is not as critical to grease. For my bolt actions, I generally use a little synthetic motor oil, and wipe excess before firing.

For my bolt action rifles, I just use a a small amount of Hoppe's gun oil on a cleaning patch. Afterwards I just wipe it off.

03spr

"Sometimes I just sit and think and sometimes I just sit."

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Thanks very much, Gentlemen.

I oiled it per your guidance, though perhaps I used too much. Not sure.

I tend to over-oil my AR, and this habit is following me to bolt rifles.

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

Other than the internals of the bolt (and maybe a bit on the trigger pivot, grease in both cases), I do not find it necessary to lubricate the bolt or receiver on my bolt action rifles to shoot them.

Semi Autos are an entirely different deal.

For storage, I will lightly oil the bolt and receiver, but this usually seems to 'dry out' by the time I get the gun out of the safe to use it.

Am I wrong in thinking the point of oil or grease on a bolt gun is to prevent rust? They will function fine dry? Seems I've heard in dry dusty conditions or really cold no oil on the bolt is best?

I was taught to use heavy grease on the bolt lugs of all to help reduce impact wear. It could be BS paranoid thinking but the bench rest guys got me there and the M1 experts already had me near there. I love Mobil 1 and use it in 10 vehicles, not to mention mowers and such. I now use it for cleaning and lube on most rifles.

Oil helps reduce friction & "bolt bind", or at least that's how it feels to me.
    "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."
    - Jebediah Springfield

remember, the 1903 cleaning kit only had oil in it,

the grease came out with the M1
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

A dab heavy molybdenum Grease behind locking lugs..
    on trigger sear..all I ever did..cleaned it like any hunting rifle..
    "Christís Grace + being constitutionally solvently Give strength resistant To Marxism!

+1 a little dab will do ya.... Sparing use is fine.. and not imperative on a bolt rifle...

The bolt sleeve threads should have a dab of grease.

In my not so humble opinion oil is to prevent rust on bolt actions. I admit on my match bolt gun in .308 I would lube very lightly but found even if done lightly caused more of a mess and invites dirt or debri to stick. Even those of you who shoot rapid fire with a bolt gun do not really need to do this. But I do understand overthinking everything and changing oil on your bolt gun might make you think it good stewardship. Keep oil and grease out of the chamber and bolt face. If you still insist the use of Moly might be your best option. Seriously folks how much shooting do you do that you feel this is necessary? Do what you want to do. But to put it in perspective how many of you actually shoot out barrels and need to replace them every two or three years. I know there might be a couple but most of you do not. This might not have anything to do with oil and grease, but it does have to do on how much you shoot and wear and tear to your rifles. Do what you must.
    Regards, John.

My general rule of thumb is lightly oil for short-term storage and regular use, grease for long-term storage and/or heavy moisture environments. I don't use much at all in AZ, regular oil attracts dust too readily, and evaporates quickly. Grease lasts longer but I only use it sparingly for a few spots on my M1 Garand and M1A per spec sheet recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Devil View Post
    In my not so humble opinion oil is to prevent rust on bolt actions. I admit on my match bolt gun in .308 I would lube very lightly but found even if done lightly caused more of a mess and invites dirt or debri to stick. Even those of you who shoot rapid fire with a bolt gun do not really need to do this. But I do understand overthinking everything and changing oil on your bolt gun might make you think it good stewardship. Keep oil and grease out of the chamber and bolt face. If you still insist the use of Moly might be your best option. Seriously folks how much shooting do you do that you feel this is necessary? Do what you want to do. But to put it in perspective how many of you actually shoot out barrels and need to replace them every two or three years. I know there might be a couple but most of you do not. This might not have anything to do with oil and grease, but it does have to do on how much you shoot and wear and tear to your rifles. Do what you must.
    Regards, John.
    This ^^^