78 Albanian

Thread: 78 Albanian

Default 78 Albanian

A local shop has a 78 Albanian, I went In just browsing and saw it. Externally all matching, didn't take it apart to check numbers yet. They would sell for $725, seems like it's a normal to high side retail price, anyone want to talk me into or out of buying it?

I have always thought that the Albanian SKS was undervalued given the number in circulation and their unique design features.

There are plenty of worse ways to spend $725 if you don’t mind paying retail.
    Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

I agree the alby's don't get the love they deserve. If it was me, I'd be putting up pictures right now for everyone to see because it would likely have followed me home.
    For real though, If it's a pretty, all matching 78' ask and see if they would take 700$ cash OTD, up to you, just my .02,
    Let us know how it goes.
    -STR

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

If it’s truly matching and good to very good cosmetically, that’s at least a fair to good price.

Stamped all matching?

OR

Matching with some EP serials where stamped serials should be?
    "Just the facts, ma'am."

I wasn't able to get back to the shop today after work. All external numbers are stamped matching. Metal is in good shape, wood had some dings and scratches as I recall. If I can get back there I will see if I can take it apart and get photos

If the bolt is also stamped matching, no need to grab photos. Just make your best deal if you want it. Most shop owners will know that if one interested party doesn't buy a reasonably priced collectible gun, the next party probably will.

Haggle your best price, start low and work your way up. Offer $475 start low.
    The aliens are here already are you going to save our planet?

^^^Offering 60% of the general sale price of an item is pretty insulting. If someone tries to low ball me on something at that level I typically say thanks but no thanks without even trying to negotiate because it doesn't seem like its worth my time talking to this person if they are that far off from me and I have my item priced at market value. It's the same as not talking to a dealer at a show with a 50% mark up over retail on an item. If you are that far apart on price, why bother? $725 is right in the middle of the national average for an Albanian if you are buying one online so the guy is pricing it honestly. If you offer $675 -$700 CASH in hand I think the guy would be willing to make a deal.

Pardt-- any idea of it has an Albanian sling?

These are hard to come by and can run you $60-100 or more IF you find can one.

Without the Albanian sling you might be able to haggle this point for a reasonable drop in the asking price.

With an true Albanian sling, the asking price is fair if all matching, (even with a mismatch bolt, imho).
    "Just the facts, ma'am."

If someone offered me $475 when I was asking $725 I would politely tell them to stop wasting my time and go away.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

Update! I was not able to get back to the ship til today. It now is in my safe. Purchase price is debatable depending on how you view my trade. I traded a rti grade c I bought a few years back which was matching minus the gas tube and piston and $400 cash. So in my mind he gave me $300 trade and $400 cash for a purchase price of $700. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200716_184856662~2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	858.1 KB 
ID:	3691835Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200716_184920835~2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	791.8 KB 
ID:	3691837

Nice Catch.

"Just the facts, ma'am."

Very nice example! Congrats!

Samuel Adams

That was a solid price on a way nicer than average Albanian.

Quite above average for condition.

Congrats OP!
    U.S. Army/SGT/67N (Aviation/1st CAV DIV, FT. HOOD/2nd INF DIV, S. KOREA/NTC FLT DET, FT. IRWIN) Veteran '81-'86
    NRA Lifetime Member
    AZCDL Member
    Front Sight FTI First Family "Ambassador" Member
    1911 Snob, Lol!
    C&R Milsurplus Bolt Action and Bayonet nut!

Congrats on a nice rifle at a fair price.

That's a beauty! A few chips, dents and worn spots in the finish are to be expected. That's a very nice specimen!

Glad it all worked out! You now own a very beautiful Albanian example, and in far better shape than my own.
    In a few years you probably will forget how much cash you added to the deal or might not even remember what gun you traded. All you'll remember is that you got a great rifle before it was too late.
    Nice score!

Congrats. You made out. Beautiful stock.

Nice rifle indeed. I was just looking at my 1976 this morning. Friend of mine sent me a very nice Alby sling for the rifle (wider, green woven pattern with square buckle and leather tabs on both ends) and blued steel grease/oil tube gratis. Have you looked to see if there are any treasures in the butt stock compartments yet ? BTW, should you want to accessorize your rifle, here is a shopping list for review:

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...ian+SKS+slings
    Last edited by pwcosol; 07-24-2020 at 08:23 PM.

Thanks for all the kind words on the rifle. I am happy to have it. Nothing in the but stock unfortunately.