An Article I Wrote — Foreign Rifles of the Spanish Republic: 1936-1939

Thread: An Article I Wrote — Foreign Rifles of the Spanish Republic: 1936-1939

Default An Article I Wrote — Foreign Rifles of the Spanish Republic: 1936-1939

If it's okay to post links to my own research material, this is an article that I wrote and published on surplused.com, a website hosted by the C&Rsenal team with aim of curating community-driven firearms research content. This is the first piece of historical firearms research that I've written, and I had an absolute blast researching and writing it. I've learned a lot on Gunboards over the few years I've been here, and I'd appreciate it if you could take the time to read my piece.

Thank you, and thanks to all of the Gunboards members that helped me!

https://surplused.com/index.php/2020...lic-1936-1939/

Raoul:

I only had time to quickly scan your article but it looks like you did a very thorough job! I saved the article for reading later along with the link to the “surplused” website.

Thanks for posting!
    Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

To answer your question of 'propriety' in reference of citaton your own work... Only the questions of "relevance and motive; latter such as 'profit motive driven'. "Relevance" pivotal. if irrelevant, shouldn't be here. Concerning motive, if the material itself 'on-point', seems to me just a frank disclosure of "financial interest" sufficient.
    Good, relatively unbiased, scholarly work as on-point, seeming a real asset and something of a gold star for the Forum. A well researched work, referenced here! A definite plus.

Question to members and here...
    Just my take.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulHayduke View Post
    If it's okay to post links to my own research material, this is an article that I wrote and published on surplused.com, a website hosted by the C&Rsenal team with aim of curating community-driven firearms research content. This is the first piece of historical firearms research that I've written, and I had an absolute blast researching and writing it. I've learned a lot on Gunboards over the few years I've been here, and I'd appreciate it if you could take the time to read my piece.

Thank you, and thanks to all of the Gunboards members that helped me!

https://surplused.com/index.php/2020...lic-1936-1939/
    Thank you for your great work and for the link!

Great article. I read it carefully, even though I don't have a particular collecting interest in SCW weapons. But as a student of history (particularly MILITARY history), I was captivated. Scholarly, and extremely well written. Thank you!

A very useful reference on the topic.

Congratulations, VERY good!
    KH

Thanks for posting the link. I think the article was very informative .Great job.

Good article. I have bookmarked the link. I would like to add some info on this.

A Czech source ("Československé zbraně ve světě - V míru i za války" by Vladimír Francev) mentions that 20,000 vz.24 rifles, 16,000 of which were from military stores, were manifested for Estonia but actually went to Spain in 1936. In 1938, a total of 50,000 vz.24's manifested for Bolivia were actually sent to Spain. The shipments were contrived by the USSR and would have gone to the Spanish Republic forces.

I have "Polski eksport sprzętu wojskowego w okresie międzywojennym (Zarys problematyki)", by M. P. Deszsczyński, one of your sources. My reading of this work is slightly different from yours. This may be an opportunity to expand and share details for all readers.

Polish Rifle Shipments to Spain during Spanish Civil War (per chart 4 in "Polski eksport sprzętu wojskowego w okresie międzywojennym (Zarys problematyki)", by M. P. Deszsczyński)

Cover Manifest...............Arms Exported.......................................... .....................Recipient*
    China............................9,300 Karabinek 29e Mausers with bayonets &
    ....................................10,000 Gew 88 “Mauser” (Commission) rifles......................Nationalist Forces
    Mexico .........................10,094 Karabinek 29e Mausers with bayonets .....................Republic Forces
    Not Shown.....................12,000 Mle 16 Berthier rifles............................................ .Republic Forces

Cover Manifest..............Arms Exported.......................................... ......................Recipient*
    China...........................2,000 Gew 88 “Mauser” (Commission) rifles........................Nationalist Forces
    Greece.........................5,800 Karabinek 29e Mausers........................................... .Republic Forces
    Uruguay........................7,000 Mannlicher 88/90, 90 & 95 rifles &
    ...................................5,000 Mannlicher 95 rifles &
    ...................................38,000 Mle 07 Berthier rifles............................................ ..Republic Forces
    Not Shown....................2,107 Karabinek 29e Mausers........................................... .Republic Forces

Cover Manifest..............Arms Exported.......................................... ......................Recipient*
    China...........................10,000 Karabinek 29e Mausers with bayonets......................Republic Forces
    Greece.........................40,000 Karabinek 29e Mausers..........................................R epublic Forces
    Peru.............................30,000 Karabinek 29e Mausers &
    ...................................24,500 Kar98a Mausers** ...............................................Rep ublic Forces

There is an additional unattributed shipment of 500 Kbk 29e (price 62,000 zł) for 1938 which may be for Spain.

NOTE 1: In the chart, “Karabinek 29e” apparently included K98, K98/29 and K/Wz29 rifles. These 3 types have known Spanish connection.

NOTE 2: Cover destinations other than those above were used, but not for rifle shipments.

NOTE 3: The 2930 Russian Mosin 91 rifles and spare parts went to Finland, not a cover destination.

*Footnote 11 items were shipped to Nationalist forces, footnote 12 items to Republic forces.

**“kbk wz.98a Mauser” - Deszsczyński would not have used a German term to refer to the Polish K98. Since they were kbk (karabinek) they were carbines or short rifles; so, they would not be the Polish Kb (karabin - rifle) wz.98a, long rifles, not known to be sent to Spain. These would have to be the German Kar98a's.

Very nice article, thanks for sharing!