Shipping antique rifle?

Thread: Shipping antique rifle?

Default Shipping antique rifle?

So does anyone know exactly what the rules are? I have looked but can only see that the rifle doesn't have to go to a FFL and can be shipped with a DL proof. There has to be more to it.

Age restriction? What if they are a felon? Etc etc
    Looking to buy Finnish M28s, M28/30s, M24s, and M27s

Also looking for any Finnish matching M91/30s!!!!!! PM me

If its an antique its not regulated as a firearm by the ATF so need for anything, people sometimes do a DL just for their own records but its not required. Hell i bought a Snider Carbine out of France no problem there.

I've never had the slightest difficulty getting antique guns out of the US, including a 10ga cartridge shotgun for the short cartridge which is unregulated in the USm but nobody could tell that even if it was X-rayed. It is a good 120 years since the shotgun got perfected, and frozen in design except for people who prefer those over and under things. The same applies to my 24ga from Australia.

Those were quite a few years back, but my Webley revolver was only a couple of years back, and that came unopened from Track of the Wolf, who are neither na´ve not inclined to take chances. (They won't send me barrel liners any more,) It would have taken an expert to tell from X-rays or whatever secret new devices they might have, that it was an 1860s or 70s Webleym and I am sure he couldn't have known it was a rimfire.

I can't believe they are doing more with domestic mail. Obviously the odds are on you being able to pull a fast one. but I wouldn't advise it. If you get caught, you get very caught.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

as far as US sales and shipping,

generally speaking, yes, box it up and ship,

however, it truly depends on the State regs (where is is being shipped)

Cali says no antique cartridge handguns unless it goes thru a dealer,
    Delaware wants all cartridge firing antiques to go thru a dealer (trapdoors, I sold one to a guy, had to ship to his dealer)

google the state regs, many are very vague
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

I am pretty sure that MA has the clause that if it fired a metallic cartridge it is not an antique under the MA law definition.

If you look at the wording in the part that usually says that real antiques firing a cartridge are ok but reproductions are not, there is a difference of a comma that changes it to both kinds are not ok.

NJ requires a transfer in or out for antiques I believe, maybe just cartridge guns but not entirely sure. Would be really nice to have a site coving antique lawns for each state, most sites typically just cover rules for CR/FFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by JoeACTM View Post
    I am pretty sure that MA has the clause that if it fired a metallic cartridge it is not an antique under the MA law definition.

If you look at the wording in the part that usually says that real antiques firing a cartridge are ok but reproductions are not, there is a difference of a comma that changes it to both kinds are not ok.
    the phrase 'cartridges not readily available' is in some as well,

most everything is readily available with the internet
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

If you can ship to the State without an FFL/C&R (which I have done) request a disclaimer from the buyer that they can legally purchase a rifle...they are over 18/21 and are not restricted by a felony.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaxspore View Post
    If its an antique its not regulated as a firearm by the ATF so need for anything, people sometimes do a DL just for their own records but its not required. Hell i bought a Snider Carbine out of France no problem there.

It's not a firearm... but still a gun... so you need to know what laws apply, and VERY MUCH MORE IMPORTANTLY what don't, cause you'll be told everything under the sun. Simply put, comply with the law (it's not a firearm, but local variation etc. apply) and refer to the shipper's tariffs - that's their rules for shipping, every post office has the postal code, 2-3 huge books and a few binders of the loose leaf addendum.

If you want to ship it, you need to make sure it's done properly, and that you know how to ship it, don't expect the counter monkey to know anything, and insist it's impossible. Best bet, print out the applicable sections and bring them with you.
    Live, learn and be happy.
    Vic

FYI...I just shipped an M39 with an 1895 stamped receiver and a 1944 barrel thru FEDEX with no issues whatsoever.... the individuals there were aware of the regs. covering that. I've also shipped modern arms and they ask for a copy of the FFL/C&R for the address receiving the package.

I doubt I'd mess with USPS ever with a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by reiver1 View Post
    FYI...I just shipped an M39 with an 1895 stamped receiver and a 1944 barrel thru FEDEX with no issues whatsoever.... the individuals there were aware of the regs. covering that. I've also shipped modern arms and they ask for a copy of the FFL/C&R for the address receiving the package.

I doubt I'd mess with USPS ever with a firearm.
    very nice