So what happened to all the Korean garands and carbines?

Thread: So what happened to all the Korean garands and carbines?

Default So what happened to all the Korean garands and carbines?

Have not seen or heard anything on them. No imports? Cmp trying?

A lot of folks got rid of the barrels because of the import stamp .

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Jahn View Post
    A lot of folks got rid of the barrels because of the import stamp .
    I think he means the large lot that Obama\Clinton (hilz) would not let be imported,

not the first lot of Blue Sky stuff,
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

CMP will not even try to get these as they are claimed by the South Korean government as being bought outright by them. None are reported as being aid from the US. The Koreans had the rifles sold and ready to be shipped but the fearless leader at the time told the Hildabeast as Secretary of State, do not allow them into the US. So they sit in South Korea. The carbines are those evil ones that take those bad 15 round magazines and have a barrel band to allow the use of ( heaven forbid ) an assault bayonet.

What makes them "assault bayonets"? Do they also have high capacity clips?

Remember Matt anything over 10 rounds was forbidden as was a bayonet lug or even a flash hider when they were all banned for 10 years by Whimpey Bush. As such any made became assault bayonets and were bad Ju Ju and could not be imported or made. After the ban ended those assault bayonets returned and have lead a peaceful life with no one being assaulted by them.

I'm just thankful that the Korean surplus .30 carbine ammunition is on the market right now. It won't last forever though, and I'm sure the prices will skyrocket just like everything else right now.

Quote Originally Posted by martin08 View Post
    What makes them "assault bayonets"? Do they also have high capacity clips?
    they are sharp and pointy, and attach evil firearms that go bang,

bad juju,

remember, most scissors have rounded ends now

Quote Originally Posted by Lyman1903 View Post
    they are sharp and pointy, and attach evil firearms that go bang,

bad juju,

remember, most scissors have rounded ends now
    Almost as good as a pointer stick.

Now you guys are scaring me about assault bayonets, lugs, flash hiders and pointer sticks.

I need to buy a gun to protect me from those dangerous things, Korea and Bush.

Quote Originally Posted by martin08 View Post
    Now you guys are scaring me about assault bayonets, lugs, flash hiders and pointer sticks.

I need to buy a gun to protect me from those dangerous things, Korea and Bush.
    just make sure you get the proper permits etc,

and don't run with it

From what I've heard Century won the auction on a lot of those. Unable to import to the US they shipped them to Canada where most were broken down for parts. Rumour was that Century had to do layoffs to cover for the money they lost on the deal.

Still supposed to be quantities left there though.
    "Would you die in your sleep like an ailing pet?" - Serenity

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-M View Post
    From what I've heard Century won the auction on a lot of those. Unable to import to the US they shipped them to Canada where most were broken down for parts. Rumour was that Century had to do layoffs to cover for the money they lost on the deal.

Still supposed to be quantities left there though.
    Didn't happen. There were no sales of any M1 Carbine parts sets in Canada.

Any rifle made on those kits from the US would have been a prohibited weapons. Barrels too short.
    Heavy handed Moderation is never the answer.

He was speaking about the M1 Garand's not the carbines. The carbine's are all another load sitting in ware houses like the M1s in Korea. Century and a group of others did buy the M1's but was never able to import them into the US. As far as I know they still are in Korea. I am surprised that Trump did not allow them to be imported. Century can import the carbines into Canada. They can sell some of them as the 19 inch barrel was changed back to 18 inch but not many people have the required clearance now to have one from what I was told.

sounds like a bunch of rumors to me...................

Most of the Century procured parts kits were from Italy. A Century receiver Garand is an excellent source if Beretta and Breda parts.
    Heavy handed Moderation is never the answer.

https://www.miltonindependent.com/ne...879dcbee9.html

Article above talks about Century spending $30 million on the Garands, and the resulting layoff of employees because they could not be brought into the US.

Could not find a link detailing what they did with the rifles they bought. Thinking I read an article in the GCA on it, but the final disposition of them might just have been a rumor.

I also fail to understand why a company that purchased M1 rifles from Italy and sent them to Canada to be broke down - then regrettably bought more of these same M1 rifles from South Korea - Why that same company wouldn't also send them to Canada????

Storage fees? Shipping fees? No money? Acceptable answers, but I would love to hear from someone that actually knows.
    Last edited by Tom-M; 07-23-2020 at 07:27 PM.

The reason they are still in Korea is the import license issued by the State Department was cancelled by the Hilda Beast on orders from the Pres. He didn't want to piss off the anti-gun people who backed him politically. I just don't know why Trump has not given this the green light.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    I just don't know why Trump has not given this the green light.
    Those rifles may be long gone. Who knows what other country "could" have been interested in them

The reason they are still in Korea is the import license issued by the State Department was cancelled by the Hilda Beast on orders from the Pres. He didn't want to piss off the anti-gun people who backed him politically. I just don't know why Trump has not given this the green light.
    So that stopped them from being shipped to Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    Those rifles may be long gone. Who knows what other country "could" have been interested in them
    I would be interested in knowing of any other country interested in 10,000+ M1 Garands? 100,200. 500, 1000, ...maybe.

Destruction is the only other REAL option.

I would bet someone is working on those. Just like the M1 Carbines that came in from Ethiopia.

Shipped to Canada? And stored there at what cost? Only so many to flood the market there and considering there are like 86,000 M1 Garand's there who else but us would buy them??? Carbine wise who has enough money to buy about 600,000 to 900,000 M1 carbines????????I am hearing that there are a couple of outfits that don't want any of the M1 rifles or carbines to come into the country as the bottom will fall out of the value of the rifles and carbines they all ready have to sell. They have been vocal behind closed doors in the DC swamp.

I remember BLUE SKY garands flying out of shops and off net for around $350. I also remember unmarked gas cylinders and spare barrels i n good condition and un beat stock sets disappearing just as fast.

Vin,

Even cheaper than that. I remember them at $249 in quantity and parts kits were like $149 all day long with no end in sight. Ahhh the late 80's to early 90's were a good time to be in milsurps.....

Importing new arms will not drop the bottom out of the market, in the long term it will help.

look at the ~40,000 Greek M1903. Brought in a bunch of new collectors when you could buy a decent M1903 for 250 to 325, if my memory is correct.

A lot of Marine Corp rifles in the batch, plus some M1903 NM (well they once were), etc.

Prices eventually went up, as now instead of guys just wanting one to have an example, guys had bought Brophy and got hooked.

Same is true of M1 rifles, way more collectors and money seeking them out now, compared to the 1980s when you had a lot less rifles and the only ones you could get was your once in a life rifle from the DCM.

Same would be true if you had a lot of M1 carbines coming. A bunch of young guys would buy and the next generation of collectors would be hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by ITWORKEDOUT View Post
    Vin,

Even cheaper than that. I remember them at $249 in quantity and parts kits were like $149 all day long with no end in sight. Ahhh the late 80's to early 90's were a good time to be in milsurps.....
    Yup didn't forget but wanted to spare newbies pain. The pallets of incomplete garands with the sign "your choice $99" still haunts this old brain.

Those 1903's were sold by CMP and not by dealers to start with. These would be sold by dealers and not by CMP and just like the Blue Sky's the average buyer bought those then ones from CMP. These are not collector grade M1's. They are shooter grade and that is what most people want. The same with the carbines if they ever are released. I remember Blue Sky's at as low as $79 in barrels your choice. Later they were up to $99.00. Now one of those in normal shape will sell for $800 up. If the market got flooded again then the prices will drop to at least $200 per carbine if not lower. It would take time but then it will work it's way out and prices will rise many years from now again

Shipped to Canada? And stored there at what cost? Only so many to flood the market there and considering there are like 86,000 M1 Garand's there who else but us would buy them??? Carbine wise who has enough money to buy about 600,000 to 900,000 M1 carbines????????I am hearing that there are a couple of outfits that don't want any of the M1 rifles or carbines to come into the country as the bottom will fall out of the value of the rifles and carbines they all ready have to sell. They have been vocal behind closed doors in the DC swamp.
    Maybe because they already have facilities and warehouses in Canada - that they don't have in South Korea?

And just how big are their facilities in Canada? 86,000 rifles take up a lot of space on top of what ever else they have there. Has then the ultra liberal PM allowed them into the country?

This does not make sense. They would sell well, and I do not believe the price would drop that much. Slightly, but not horribly. Too popular of rifles, and the demand is there.
    Hate to say it but the only thing that makes sense would be the cmp going behind closed doors and stopping it. Which would really, really piss me off if ever found to be the truth.

I expect this situation will change dramatically with Trump's re-election and a conservative congress. But we'll have to wait and see!
    Jim

Back when the US DoS facilitated auction of M1 rifles (on behalf of the South Korean military) happened, the results were available to be viewed on-line.
    If memory serves there were 92K guns.
    There were 3 approved US bidders (vetted by the US DoS)
    The sale had to be approved by an act of Congress.
    The US DoS was involved because the intent was to raise the funds the South Korean military needed to modernize/replace the current issue DAEWOO rifles.
    The alternative was to go to the US Congress and have the US taxpayer buy the guns for the South Korean military.
    The M1 rifles were first because the ATF had concerns about the M1 carbines (removable standard capacity magazine) and the quantity that were available.
    The thought was to seek approval on the M1 carbines later, once the other deal was wrapping up and there would be less of a reason to say no.
    As we know, Century was the winning bidder, and the roughly $50 Mil was paid.
    They cleared out the bonded warehouse in Vermont, and had added people to handle, sort and grade the guns (there is a newspaper article about it, a local friend was flown out because of his knowledge and him being a mechanical engineer)
    I have spoken to people that Century had on the ground at the depot in South Korea who were packing guns in containers when President Obama used an "Executive Action" to block the import of ALL US origin surplus.
    The first shipments were the guns that were in the 50 year storage containers.
    Century used their Washington based attorneys to fight this, but failed.
    It is my understanding that eventually they got most of the money back from South Korea.

I saw mention of CMP.
    Read the posts from Orest M. during that time, he stated that CMP had no interest in the Korean guns!
    He claimed CMP had looked at them and said they were all below CMP standard.
    There was a statement that these were not available for transfer back to the DoD as the guns belonged to the South Korean military.

Because the ban on the import was basically a "rose garden" speech by President Obama, All President Trump has to do is state on record that these guns can be imported from South Korea and the deal would be back on.
    I wish that would happen!

Richard
    APEX Gun Parts
    719-481-2050 Order Line
    3105 North Stone Avenue
    Colorado Springs, CO 80907
    Mon-Fri 8:30am to 4:30pm MT
    www.apexgunparts.com

Like us on Facebook!
    https://www.facebook.com/ApexGunParts

Follow APEX on TWITTER!
    https://twitter.com/apexgunparts

Quote Originally Posted by apexgunparts View Post
    Back when the US DoS facilitated auction of M1 rifles (on behalf of the South Korean military) happened, the results were available to be viewed on-line.
    If memory serves there were 92K guns.
    There were 3 approved US bidders (vetted by the US DoS)
    The sale had to be approved by an act of Congress.
    The US DoS was involved because the intent was to raise the funds the South Korean military needed to modernize/replace the current issue DAEWOO rifles.
    The alternative was to go to the US Congress and have the US taxpayer buy the guns for the South Korean military.
    The M1 rifles were first because the ATF had concerns about the M1 carbines (removable standard capacity magazine) and the quantity that were available.
    The thought was to seek approval on the M1 carbines later, once the other deal was wrapping up and there would be less of a reason to say no.
    As we know, Century was the winning bidder, and the roughly $50 Mil was paid.
    They cleared out the bonded warehouse in Vermont, and had added people to handle, sort and grade the guns (there is a newspaper article about it, a local friend was flown out because of his knowledge and him being a mechanical engineer)
    I have spoken to people that Century had on the ground at the depot in South Korea who were packing guns in containers when President Obama used an "Executive Action" to block the import of ALL US origin surplus.
    The first shipments were the guns that were in the 50 year storage containers.
    Century used their Washington based attorneys to fight this, but failed.
    It is my understanding that eventually they got most of the money back from South Korea.

I saw mention of CMP.
    Read the posts from Orest M. during that time, he stated that CMP had no interest in the Korean guns!
    He claimed CMP had looked at them and said they were all below CMP standard.
    There was a statement that these were not available for transfer back to the DoD as the guns belonged to the South Korean military.

Because the ban on the import was basically a "rose garden" speech by President Obama, All President Trump has to do is state on record that these guns can be imported from South Korea and the deal would be back on.
    I wish that would happen!

Richard

Wow... so the Korean guns were in worse shape than the Philippine ones? I find that extremely hard to believe.

About 5 or 6 years ago a whole bunch of M1 carbine stocks came back from Korea, some with butt and recoil plates some without. The quality of the stocks ranged from firewood to reasonably nice ones that often had cartouches and were still in highwood configuration. However, almost all the stocks were an ugly blackish-brown color and the plates were almost always rusted or dinged up so much that they were pretty much useless. Everyone do themselves a favor and don't fret over the Korean M1's because if they ever do show, which is highly unlikely, the condition will most likely be poor.
    Last edited by Only Carbines; 07-31-2020 at 01:40 PM. Reason: spelling

so the Blue Sky/Arlington Ord imports from 30+ yrs ago were the good ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Only Carbines View Post
    About 5 or 6 years ago a whole bunch of M1 carbine stocks came back from Korea, some with butt and recoil plates some without. The quality of the stocks ranged from firewood to reasonably nice ones that often had cartouches and were still in highwood configuration. However, almost all the stocks were an ugly blackish-brown color and the plates were almost always rusted or dinged up so much that they were pretty much useless. Everyone do themselves a favor and don't fret over the Korean M1's because if they ever do show, which is highly unlikely, the condition will most likely be poor.
    The M1 carbine stocks came into the USA from South Korea more than 5 or 6 years ago!
    APEX bought a bunch from Century.
    I spoke to the gent that went over and bought them.
    All those particular M1 carbines had been "hidden" underground for use if the north ever over ran the south.
    By underground I mean buried in what had been storage containers.
    The gent from Century was on hand when the guns were unearthed.
    Time and the elements had done their work!
    The metal was all rusted beyond recovery.
    However, the wood was as you describe so the guns were stripped and the wood was imported to the USA.
    Those were all the M1 carbines that had been buried, the rest were in depot storage.

ALL the M1 rifles and M1 carbines that came into the USA during the late 1980's were training guns.
    None of the war stock reserve was sold.
    That became available when the Daewoo rifles started to be replaced and the Daewoo guns went into the reserve stocks.

Richard
    Last edited by apexgunparts; 08-01-2020 at 04:26 PM.
    APEX Gun Parts
    719-481-2050 Order Line
    3105 North Stone Avenue
    www.apexgunparts.com

Like us on Facebook!

Follow APEX on TWITTER!

Quote Originally Posted by AR475891 View Post
    Wow... so the Korean guns were in worse shape than the Philippine ones? I find that extremely hard to believe.

You would be correct to have doubts about the comments that Orest M made concerning the condition of the South Korean M1's!
    Back in 2010 when US companies were being vetted by the US DoS to bid at the auction for the South Korean M1's CMP kept telling members that they had no interest in those guns because of he condition.

Roll forward to 2017..GCA Journal did an article about all the collectible M1's stored in South Korea.
    They had pictures of the US "50 year" storage drums containing 10 M1's each, low serial number guns, rifles still in the crates and packing.
    Issued guns that were properly stored away.
    They mention how Century Arms had been in the process of purchasing these guns.
    BTW, the description in the GCA Journal of the M1 rifles was what the people at Century (who had been to see the guns in South Korea) had been telling me.
    Now, with President Trump in office (this was fall 2017) the CMP was hoping to somehow acquire these guns.

The South Koreans are willing to sell these rifles, but the only market for them is the USA and they know what the guns are worth.
    The US importers that originally were bidding on these 92,000 (article says 89K) M1's had offered real money for them.
    There is still no way to get around the import "ban" that President Obama put in place.
    So all those guns sit in South Korea.

Richard
    APEX Gun Parts
    719-481-2050 Order Line
    3105 North Stone Avenue
    www.apexgunparts.com

Like us on Facebook!

Follow APEX on TWITTER!

Could another executive order right the wrong , or does the cmp just want the guns .

Quote Originally Posted by one shot 1 View Post
    Could another executive order right the wrong , or does the cmp just want the guns .

Yes, the President just has to say (on record) that the import of the US material is OK to do.
    We were really hoping that was going to happen by now..

Richard
    APEX Gun Parts
    719-481-2050 Order Line
    3105 North Stone Avenue
    www.apexgunparts.com

Like us on Facebook!

Follow APEX on TWITTER!

Quote Originally Posted by one shot 1 View Post
    CMP only gets what is returned to the Army. They do not buy or Import