Gunboards Forums banner

Savage No.IV

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  alarmingman 
#1 ·
I posted a Savage I got a couple of months ago but it was mismatched. Sold it and bought this one 2 weeks ago that has a matching bolt for a good price. I have learned on this forum that Savage and Longbranch shared parts when necessary but on this rifle ALL other parts are Longbranch. The wear of the metal seems age consistent as does the wood. What do you all think? Also got Savage marked bayonet with

See less See more
#2 ·
Its a decent looking rifle. There does semm to be an over abundance of LB parts though.
I've seen similar in the past. A rescued/recovered/de-sporterized rifle where the owner said, "Savage and Long Branch shared parts, so....."

I never heard about Savage being so short on parts that they bought Canadian parts by the trainload ;)

#4 ·
Quite possible it is a C MkIII rear sight.

With all the LB parts, it wouldn't surprise me if the rifle went to Canada and/or was refurbed there.
More pics would be required to make that determination.

Also, it's a No.4 (not No.IV) FWIW.

#5 ·
The rear sight is the type I would have put on it anyway for the range. What kind of marks would a Canadian refurb have? Even if its a spoter rescue it doesnt look like one, and I was thinking of taking on that project if I couldnt find an affordable Savage.

#10 ·
So I got the top handgaurds off and took more pics. With the amount of crud, dirt and old dry cosmoline underneath I do not think this rifle has been apart in a long time. Also some light rust so it was good to take care of that. The lower forestock is cemented in place with old cosmoline and would not come out and I know how to take these apart (this is my 7th Enfield). Wasnt gonna force it. I am leaning toward this being a Canadian refurb. All opinions welcome. I hope the stamps on the wood are legible and you can see the broad arrow with C on the rear sight.

#11 ·
It's getting to be a real mix-master.

American (Savage) Action
English Woodwork
Scottish Woodwork
Canadian "bits and pieces"

The wood markings are not very clear on my screen but look like :

The N49 marking is H Morris of Glasgow
The N74 marking is W Sykes - Yorkshire

#13 ·
Yeah, it's hard to say where it's been.
A mixmaster for sure.

The barrel looks like it has no markings?
And the angles on the knox flat look funny....

(I think your rear sight has the superimposed CA for Canadian Arsenals, post WW2 C Mk3 sight.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.