Gunboards Forums banner

Current prices

5K views 41 replies 27 participants last post by  ncreptile 
#1 ·
All I can say is Wow. I used to follow the auctions pretty closely just to keep an eye on things and for the fun of it. I have not done much for a while. Just got off of GB and was astonished to see the bid prices on sold items and also on current open auctions for any and all Mosin Nagants. With the current political climate it makes one wonder whether or not it is time to divest of the remainder of your stuff.

#3 ·
I don't know how much the political climate has to do with Mosins. There are a couple shops near me that have had Mosins sitting in the racks while most everything else in the store was grabbed up. Now the political climate and ammo prices and supplies is another story. I will however overpay for an M39. I wish that I had stumbled onto them years ago when all you smart, frugal types had. It is true that they aren't making any more of them and they aren't importing any more of them either.

#6 ·
People are home and bored with money to burn.
You'd think if the economy were truly doing so bad that there would be bargains abound from people broke and being frugal until this is over.. Nope.. I can't even find a Tacoma or Tundra to buy because all of them have been bought up.

For everyone being broke and out of work, there sure seems to be a record high consumer demand right now.

#8 ·
Yeah it’s definitely not just guns. Almost everything valuable is getting snapped up online. I wonder if there’s a bit of end-of-the-world-YOLO frenzy going on. I just sold a collectible set by a famous artist for 4x what I expected it to go for, at an art auction.

#9 ·
I've a feeling the increase in prices fetched is caused by people trying to find an investment which, in their judgement, will increase in value.
That's why the stock market is still running hot, with all of the printed money being splashed out by various Governments. The dollar in our pockets will become less and less valuable.

#13 ·
Mosin prices have risen here in the UK over the last 18 months or so, I do wonder how much of it is down to the sanctions against Russia as well as the situation in Ukraine as supplies of newly imported Mosins seem to have dried up.......the situation is the same with the Tigr and Saiga rifles, second-hand prices of those have risen as well.

#14 ·
I have sold off about 20% of my stuff and 90% of a friends collection (who had a bad stroke). All in all i wish i had not sold them. The prices today are up 30-75% over last 3 years and climbing. I struggle with idea of selling anymore as they seem a better value than the dollar right now. Was able to trade one mediocre gun for quite a bit of automotive work. SHops now up to well over $100/hr labor and contractor seem to think any less than $1000/day is not worth bidding.

While ot you may find to your dismay that guns are a better investment than 401/457s .Just wait and see when they force you to take $ out and pay tax on it.

#21 ·
Twilight zone theme
"Imagine if you will, a virus so deadly that you have to get tested to find out if you even have it."

I've heard from SEVERAL friends and family who had a friend that went to get tested, the wait was 1-2 hours so they left.. A day later they got a text saying they tested positive.. Keep in mind these people did not take the test. I've heard this from my wife, my father and another friend.. ALL of them had a co worker or friend who had this happen. The numbers are complete BS and meant to keep you in fear.

I know someone will tell me I'm wrong and should take this crap serious but sorry.. this crap along with the BLM crap happening just months before an election that was all but in the bag for Trump? Not buying it. Of course I wear my mask and play along.. don't want to be shamed by the herds of scared lemmings, but I don't buy it.

Sorry for going off topic but you are exactly right about the need to keep the populace scared and begging the government to step in.

#18 ·
I have an M39... I think... will have to look again... I know it's a Finnish Mosin, but might be a rebuilt. Got it totally by accident! Way back in the early 90s Rose's Department Stores in Georgia had a bunch of MNs, back when they still sold firearms (stopped in the late 90s?). Just had them standing in a barrel! I picked up what I thought was the best looking one and paid my $69. In the mid 2000's I was reading something about the Finn guns being the best and took the time to look up the markings and discovered it was Finnish! Wish I'd bought a couple more, but they may have been a mixed lot with Russian and Finn guns, who knows?

#19 ·
I've seen the same thing happening with used boats. New models are so expensive and everyone knows a used boat in good condition is every bit as useful. I'm seeing many sell for well above NADA.

With milsurps, I think much of it stems from the fact that they're just harder to find in the wild (locally) now... for example, at one's local gun or pawn shop. I used to find many at pawn and gun shops, and would buy at least one a month. Nowadays, many shops don't have them, or if they do, they sell very quickly. Gone are the days when milsurps were something you tripped over in the gun shops. Now they are recognized as being something special in a sea of new firearms. There is still a love of the historical qualities that these old rifles represent.

#23 ·
The 28/30 really is a special rifle. Putting aside their wonderful history they are a joy not only to behold but to physically hold in your hands as well. The weight, the balance, just amazing. I purchased more than a few, personally selected out of huge piles, back when they were first imported in the late ‘80s.

I also got greasy from fingertips to elbows looking through many wooden crates filled with the Broomhandles from China. Most were literally scrap metal or parts gun grade at best. It was very sad. I have to imagine that they were thrown by the shovel full into huge shipping containers in China and their treatment didn’t get much better once they arrived in the States. Packed and stacked in crates one on top of another. I recall my dealer sources setting up at gun shows by simply upending the crates, pouring the mass of pistols on the table, and simply leveling off the piles so they were stacked two or three deep for easy inspection. :cry:

With that said I did see more than a few Broomhandles in exceptional condition. I have to assume that they were spotted and culled from the dreck early in the import process. Also seen in wonderful condition were small, very small numbers of Chinese contract Inglis Hi-Power pistols with their wonderful Chinese markings, long range rear sights, and the cut for the detachable buttstock. In even smaller numbers were the buttstocks but the few I saw were in beautiful condition.

I never purchased either a Broomhandle or one of the Chinese Hi-Power pistols because there was so much available, with new C&R imports arriving all the time, that there was never enough money.

#22 ·
Alden, Alden, my word ...the queen of turds on the sidewalk city is here from the government and she wants to help you.

#24 ·
Don’t like resurrecting threads but couldn’t help it on this one. Have you guys seen some of the prices things are going for on auction sites now. Yesterday an antique 1944 Sako sold for $1425. Likewise an 1894 Sestroryetsk sold for $980. I had been watching both of these thinking of picking one up but didn’t even bother bidding one the prices got that insane.

#25 ·
This is one that caught my eye........and this not a isolated example. This is quite a bit more than the going price not that long ago. Guess it is a sign of the times.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/874124249

#26 ·
Gold is near $2000 an ounce. So yea, I think confidence in currency is down.

I dont think I am alone in running up my credit card balance in anticipation of the next $1200 gift. Imagine, sitting at home, SS checks roll in like clockwork and I will get another $1200 reward for simply being alive.

"Imagine if you will, a virus so deadly that you have to get tested to find out if you even have it."
Cute!

#27 ·
I have paid handsomely for my last few M39s. Don't really regret it. But it may be time to look into the Swiss rifles as they seem to be a better value right now. I have no idea if the sky is the limit, but I think that today's $600 Mosin may very well be comparable to 1994's $80 Mosin. It just remains to be seen whether it's value or inflation.

#32 ·
Think Mosins are insane prices.....Skim over the price of the Ak's ... WASR going for $1,400, home built kits over $1,000, Century's Polish, Yugos over $1,500 .....China pre-bans....nib..$5k ...shooters $2k + My gosh a 10/63 sold for over $1500 .

Ammo.....forgetaboutit....

Try finding primers.

Things are not going to get cheaper, nor is the supply going to pick up...I think they (dems) will shut down/off gun sales thru the internet.....For the children and "gun safety" you understand. ...or thru a law suit which they can be charged or have part in the case.

Can't wait to see what nonsense 2021 brings,....hoping for Aliens. ( the ones from space )

#36 ·
Two guys came into the shop a week or so ago to do a sale/transfer on an M44. I don't think I've ever seen a more dry roached stock, lots of surface rust, and no bayonet. The bore was so bad that the buyer offered $100 less ($500!), and the seller said No!!!
I just shook my head.

#38 ·
I follow the on line auctions mainly for something to do. I have bought quite a few guns but not lately. The prices have risen to the point where I don't want to pay that much. I have filled a couple empty slots in my collections though at a higher price that I really wanted to pay but the gun was available. I was thinking of an AR, just because, but it is not a favored rifle for me. There were zero available around here. I did score a 308 AR from Cabela's. It was hidden in the library at a decent price. I bought two new cars this year. The prices were pretty good so I jumped, a Jeep Gladiator and a Ford F150 4 door. Of course if the dimms get in power, they want to do away with gas powered vehicles. The plague has prevented me from traveling to my summer home so I am stuck here. I miss junk food. My wife orders food for delivery and she won't order any good stuff. Probably for the best anyway. Stay safe guys.

#41 ·
I just transferred a "shooter grade" Luger to a Gun Boards Member. When I took it in to the local 01 FFL to ship all employees stopped and moved over to the counter area with all kinds of stories, opinions & comments before it could be processed. Lot's of cool things coming to the market right now!

#42 ·
Just picked up an unissued No4 Mk2 for $650, an unissued Polish M44 for $450, a broomhandle bolo for $795 all matching to the grips, but it's been refinished.
All off of gunbroker, all over the past 2 weeks or so.

Plenty of good deals to be had/found if you're willing to take the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.