An Albright rifle from my friends estate.

Thread: An Albright rifle from my friends estate.

Default An Albright rifle from my friends estate.

A good friend of mine recently passed and I and my father are helping the ex-wife best we can clear the estate. Tom was a good guy to know. A bright historian, a collector, was a gunsmith at colonial Williamsburg, gunsmith at the Ohio village and a curator for the Ohio Historical Society as well as a teacher at the University of Cincinnati. His entire home was decorated in 18th and 19th century furniture and it's been hard seeing it sold off. One piece I came to love was his prized piece. A signed Albright rifle. We all know who Andreas Albrecht (later changing his name to Andrew Albright) was and his skill as a Pennsylvania long rifle maker. There are only a couple known to exist and its widely believed the Edward Marshall rifle was stocked at some point by him. This rifle is signed H. Albright. Henry Albright was Andreas son I believe and a rifle maker. His style is of Moravian influence and is a Lancaster County gun. I could not bear to see it go to someone else. Tom had had this gun since 1984 and both George Carrol and Wallace Gussler have seen the gun and enjoyed it very much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Resized_20200717_105454.jpeg  

Resized_20200717_105447.jpeg  

Resized_20200717_105540.jpeg  

Resized_20200717_105547.jpeg  

“ Gentlemen, we may not make History tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the Geography”

General Herbert Plumer before detonation of 450 tons of explosive – Messines Ridge, June 1917.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20200717_105553.jpeg 
Views:	2 
Size:	901.0 KB 
ID:	3696049Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200717_105553.jpg 
Size:	745.3 KB 
ID:	3696051Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200717_110244.jpg 
Size:	764.8 KB 
ID:	3696053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200717_110250.jpg 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	3696055
    “ Gentlemen, we may not make History tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the Geography”

General Herbert Plumer before detonation of 450 tons of explosive – Messines Ridge, June 1917.

Beautiful rifle. Thanks for sharing the pictures and the story.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Thanks. My dad has an original Peter Gonter rifle (he married Wolfgag Haga's daughter then Haga changed his name to Henry Hawken, all black powder guys know that name) who was Haga's apprentice. I couldn't bear to see his gun go somewhere else and not be enjoyed. My dad was Tom's apprentice and makes Pennsylvania long rifles and I thought it fitting that it come to our family. I don't want it collecting dust, I want to share it and discuss it. That's what Tom did.

It's missing it's original main spring and I don't know if it was gone when tom got it or we just didn't find a broken one when we cleaned the house. I think dad and I are going to make one for the lock so it's complete.

Gorgeous rifle-the Moravian rifles are works of art for sure. I'm glad that you got a chance to preserve it for future generations.

Quote Originally Posted by Thagomizer View Post
    Gorgeous rifle-the Moravian rifles are works of art for sure. I'm glad that you got a chance to preserve it for future generations.

Thanks. i go down next saturday to pick it up. I will take some more pics of it then.

I like your profile pic! the Bell P-39 Airacobra is one of my favorite planes of all time!