S&W Serial # help please

Thread: S&W Serial # help please

Default S&W Serial # help please

I have a S&W Model 29-3 with S/N AVC66XX. I don't have the S&W handbook and just need some help with the mfg. date. If someone could help me, I would appreciate it.
    I won't say I don't like some folks, but I would unplug their life support to make a pot of coffee.

https://forums.gunboards.com/signaturepics/sigpic666_5.gif

S&W revolver AVB 8654 was produced in July 1987. I would estimate yours was made in late fall of 1987. This is just an educated guess as S&W didn't follow their serial number scheme closely. The real way to know is to get a factory letter.
    Last edited by BigBoy99; 07-26-2020 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Typo!
    Bill

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again!

Why is it that 46% of the population which pay NO taxes, complain that those who do pay taxes, are not paying their fair share?

"Political Correctness" is an attempt to convince people it is possible to pick-up a turd by its "clean end."

Thanks, BigBoy99. That's close enough for me.
    I won't say I don't like some folks, but I would unplug their life support to make a pot of coffee.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

1 Plus on latter '87!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by iskra View Post
    1 Plus on latter '87!
    John
    Thanks, John! Here's a look at the little beauty. I ran across this for $950 OTD, and being as I had wanted a M29 6" for a long time I grabbed it. It's pristine, hardly ever fired as far as I can see.

Anyway, thanks again for the help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M29.jpg  

Nice! I like the over size grips. Is it chromed or nickle plated? There is too much reflection in picture to tell.
    Bill

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again!

Why is it that 46% of the population which pay NO taxes, complain that those who do pay taxes, are not paying their fair share?

"Political Correctness" is an attempt to convince people it is possible to pick-up a turd by its "clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoy99 View Post
    Nice! I like the over size grips. Is it chromed or nickle plated? There is too much reflection in picture to tell.
    It's nickel. Grip on the other side has the football. Shooting .44 Special loads in it is pure pleasure.

Lovely gun Sam,

really like those smooth targets,
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

You are on the right path, you will get so much greater enjoyment out of that beautiful pistol if you stick to 44 special loads. I load my 1892 Win SRC (conversion to 44 mag) cartridges to Special ballistics for a fun shooting carbine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyman1903 View Post
    Lovely gun Sam,

really like those smooth targets,
    Thanks, Lyman. Yeah, I'm in love with it! It feels really good in the hand.

Quote Originally Posted by ibmikey View Post
    You are on the right path, you will get so much greater enjoyment out of that beautiful pistol if you stick to 44 special loads. I load my 1892 Win SRC (conversion to 44 mag) cartridges to Special ballistics for a fun shooting carbine.
    I don't have a Dirty Harry thing going where I feel the need to shot top-end .44 Mag loads in it. Just don't care to have my wrist abused like that. I have a couple of recipes for .44 Special equivalent loads in .44 Mag cartridges that work real well in it. I have some .44 Special brass, but I'm saving that for a Charter Arms .44 Special Bulldog I have on order.

My "want list" includes a Win 92 SRC in .44-40, a vintage one if I can find and afford it, but they're scarce and pricey so I'll probably just go with a new one from Bud's or Impact.

If the M29 is to be used for shooting only, Magna-porting tames it.